More Black Male Heroes

The topic of adding African Descent male (and, for that matter, female) heroes has been suggested and discussed at length before.

Please see these threads:

SGG also addressed diversity of heroes a bit during the recent AMA:

13 Likes

Representation matters. I think this is a valid.

-e

5 Likes

You make a valid point in life. However this is a game with Male, female, animal, fish, reptile heroes etc. Etc. Etc. If we are going to be diverse does that mean we want a hero that can wear any badge be that disabled, able bodied, young, old, large, small, straight, gay, transgender, of any colour black, white, yellow, red, brown of any religion etc. I just have to ask myself … why

6 Likes

Joon is my Korean brother.

Also many factors go into heroes design… Some like the Sakura family theme from Asian folklore.

There are the Fables, Wonderland… But agree having more diversity is never bad.

Also be good to learn about some African myths and folklore possibly if introduced.

BTW I wish I had Delilah.

10 Likes

Diversity: This is a fantasy based game. We have heroes with no legs (Thoth-Amun). We have Rabbit heroes. We have heroes with fish heads. We have a character with a freakin’ LANTERN for a head. I don’t think adding more black male heroes is all that much to ask for. I don’t see it as a huge stretch.

The devs and designers of this game can do anything they want to do. They’ve brought us really amazing characters based on Nipponese (Japanese) culture and folk lore. (:heart:)

Hopefully in future we’ll get to have more cultures and heroes based on people from all over the world.
-e

2 Likes

I’m not a black man, but concepts are always on my mind.

1 Like

As a Paul Staments fan, I’d also like to see a little more fungi diversity.

We need some more Blade in this mofo!

1 Like

My alliance started out as a fairly random collection of people, and that being said, there are more than a few people of color on my team. I honestly think it’s a mistake to reduce representation of a big portion of the player base.

And those of you who have suggested that two heroes or maybe a lizard covers it, that’s pretty insulting, even if you didn’t mean it to be.

2 Likes

I agree, this is really important. And turning a character who looks white brown doesn’t count.

2 Likes

I don’t see heroes representing Islanders… I missed something?

I would think Vela does, does she not?

Check season 2 and also malosi…

2 Likes

This just seems like an obvious win for everybody. There are so many opportunities for adding heroes: seasonal, hotm, new event heroes, etc. I think adding 2-3 or more in 2020 is not unreasonable at all. Let’s not pretend SG puts a lot of effort into the art assets for their heroes- just replace the existing pipeline of art assets with ones that meet this request.

Frankly, the game needs more tanks in every color, a brand new African mythology inspired challenge event full of Black heroes (Male and Female) would be awesome. All the better if we get some new tanks for each color too.

1 Like

Eh it’s the least of my concerns with the game personally

Already spent more time discussing it than i ever should have

Sad to see so many people flippantly disregarding a legitimate request with earnest intentions. Of course this game needs better representation for all, and the fact that devs admitted it a year ago and still haven’t introduced a single black hero in that time is rather disgraceful.

Make it a whole character family. Make up the deficit.

And Happy Juneteenth, the day we celebrate the end of slavery in America. If you can’t support this request on a day like today then maybe just keep your comments to yourself for 24 hours.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what it means.

I ask instead… why not?

1 Like

The best solution is to have non-human creatures.

Personally, I have no problem in SG creating heroes from any “group” of humans. There would be thousands to please everyone. So which should be created first, in what order, who do you leave out etc etc etc
As I get older the world troubles me greatly. And I start to worry about what it’s going to be like for my grandchildren as they grow up.
I am a firm believer in true diversity in everything. And everyone being equal.
But for me the majority of people are moving more towards me, me, me
But personally, for my children and their children, my hope is that people change to The whole of “humanity” matters …
Now before anyone says this post is wrong, and that I am this that and the other, I fit into three categories that currently put me in a pigeon hole or give me a badge by those that think me different. I will leave you to guess which three … But at least one leaves the group persecuted even today.
So in answer to your question at grass roots level - and it’s for me personally - why? This game is an escape from reality for me - that’s all

1 Like

I’m not taking a side, but let’s give them some credit as Miki and Kingston do come to mind.

Examining the males since their AMA:
Anzogh - green orc (?)
Ranvir - Indian (?) centaur
Miki - black eskimo (?)
Kingston - black carribean(?)
Grimble - white (?) Dwarf and goat
Jean-Francois - French (?) white
Malosi - Pacific Islander
Raffaele - Argentinian (?) or Spanish (?) Warlock (?)

Looks pretty diverse.

4 Likes