Mono is not the best meta (in my opinion)! But what is?

Agreed. This is definitely true for mid-level alliances where there’s a huge difference in roster size as well as maxed level heroes between members.

I have a full rainbow 4/80 team for defense, while the remaining 25+ heroes are maxed 4*s as well as up and coming 5s evenly spread between the five colours. At our level, I can easily do a 5/6 or 6/6 in war with any combination of heroes by picking off lower teams within the opposition alliance.

However, this would leave members with a weaker roster at a disadvantage as they will have to hit a higher TP team, or hope for a cleanup. War would just end up being extremely frustrating for all if such a strategy was the usual practice. Thus, I tend to stack mono or 3/2 and go for the highest possible teams.

E&P will be coming into it’s second year, and while it was (and still is) quite common to go for the top cards (i.e. 5* heroes), I believe things have changed since Atlantis was introduced. Heroes from Atlantis like Proteus and Wilbur have made it easier to stack lower TP teams for war and raid against high level team so it’s not uncommon for those of us with a healthier roster to take out 3.9k-4.1k teams with a 3.2k or even 3k team. Call it lazy play, skill-less, or whatever… End of the day, it’s a win, and we will take it.

4* heroes make it possible for those who have just started playing, as well as players with little means, to close the gap between new and veteran players. If we are discussing ’ What is the best meta?’ here, I believe it is the new and old line of 4* heroes which are being neglected by many players who chase after the latest HoTMs or 5* heroes, that deserve mention.

We keep stressing the importance of 4 stars as the foundation or backbone of a player’s roster, yet I’ve seen so many drop a good 4* in order to start levelling a new 5* hero before it can even warm the bench. Worse, I’ve seen players feed a good or great 4* to a 5*…:persevere:

4 Likes

I run dual healing within mono. Maybe it’s why I don’t think it fails as much as people claim. I run one main healer and a second utility healer or an elemental HOTM hero like Ageir who heals the color stack.

Rigard + Khiona (Om leveling Kunchen, but not 100% sold yet.

MN + Gadeirus . (Plus Evelyn usually)

Kiril + Ageir

Delilah + Guin

BT + Ares

Riposte Heroes are a rare sight for me. Boss Wolf and Elena are too slow to be much risk. Boril and Cyprion are too soft of targets and Obakan is easily avoided.

1 Like

I think you’re underestimating your skills at tile manipulation. You really will get tough starting boards 4 times in 10.

Fill-ins should tend to regress you toward the mean on those boards, but my guess is you’re doing quite a bit of high quality spade-work digging yourself out too.

Selecting a second healer is really smart, because it means that when the tiles do come, you get healthy fast. It’s not like you’re short on attack stat after all…

I have never ran mono in a war or event ever. I have on a few titans but there is just no skill involved in hoping for tiles. if a team is the same power level as me there are only two tanks that I cant rainbow easily and that’s drake and grave. same power level I should, as a player, be able to out counter my opponent if they are rainbow. 2 2 1, 2 111, and very rarely 3 2 if I have no choice. I believe in team synergy and mono is just an excuse IMO to not learn to complement skills and leads to poor countering abilities in war which get blamed on having event heroes and then is the constant “these wars are imbalanced!!” when its simply players stunting their own growth by going mono all the time.

1 Like

Also my strategy.

• 3 vs tank
  • 2 vs flank
  • hard prank
2 Likes

How you stack has nothing to do with how well you see a board and how well you synergize your heroes. Please stop with the “skill” ideas, you have the same board to make moves on regardless of the team you bring.

but you have different specials available depending what colors you use and this changes your attack tactics as you gain specials so yes that is skill

3 Likes

There are certainly some skills unique to mono teams, clever team composition perhaps being one of them. But there is also less skill involved in playing the boards and using your specials for mono vs rainbow teams.

Specifically, with a mono team you know that all your specials will become available in a particular order - and if you have designed your team correctly, that should be a helpful order. (Although sometimes that won’t matter because many of your heroes will be dead before their specials become available. :disappointed_relieved:) Your special use will be similar for every battle - often nearly identical.

With a rainbow team, your specials will become available in an order that you have influence over but can’t completely control. A heavy blue board might charge Isarnia first of all, but have Azlar nowhere near good to go. Fire Isarnia and risk her debuff wearing off or being reversed before Azlar can shoot? Wait until some other AOE or sniper charges and risk Isarnia being sniped in the meantime? How about if Alby charges first? Set him off and benefit from the mana boost, or save him until his healing is needed?

And what if the board offers multiple opportunities - set off a purple cascade that might charge Hel and effectively win the battle, or a yellow cascade that will certainly charge Leo and that you can use to delay Guin’s special?

I’m not suggesting there is no skill involved in running mono teams. But when it comes to playing the board and managing your team’s specials it’s inarguable that mono is much simpler and, yes, less skilful. Sometimes that’s really helpful.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m more lazy, but this team works very well.

3 Likes

Changing tactics doesn’t = more or less skill, it’s simply that, a difference in tactics. With each board you have to play the board as best you can to help you get the win. The advantages you see with rainbow are different then the advantages you see with mono, so they should be played a bit differently, but it doesn’t make you more skilled, just a different set of advantages and disadvantages and both can be useful to players depending on where they are in the game. Interested to hear how you fair in wars later on when you’re up against 80-20s and you’re taking rainbow teams for your 3rd and 4th hits.

1 Like

the advantages to not running mono and learning my roster benefit my whole alliance not just me. I dont know of any ftp alliance that has anyone running 6 teams of mono for the whole war and winning all six of you can screenshot that up for me then I might agree with you.

I save my strongest team for my last attack every war and I have enough of a roster to 2 2 1 my way through the whole war and my final always being a rainbow against a big dog. maybe possible of 3 3 -2 teams that might still leave me something for the last three but it would be tight. if I ran mono even twice in a war my roster would be so depleted I would be stuck on clean ups for my next four hits. no thanx. and I post my war attacks and put them on our website so the whole allaince can discuss tactics used versus certain heroes and why. out alliance loves wars and looks forward to testing our skill with each one. the more ways I can show my teammates to win the stronger we grow as a group, and the less fear people have of building a little bit lower power level but maximizing there stacks when necessary, especially in wars where everyone has same color tank

Same here. No heavy hitters at all and this is now by far my most devastating team. If my board lights up, it is game over.

Finished number 13 today filling my chest and used this team at least twice.

I’ve played all configurations. Of course there are pros and cons with them all. However, I do not believe one takes more skill than the other. If a Mono player is just waiting or wishing for tiles, they are not going anywhere.

2 Likes

You learn your roster regardless of how you set up your stacks, 30 war heroes is 30 war heroes. When I used to mono more I went 6-0 in wars no problem, I’ve also went 6-0 with 3/2 and almost every variation there after. I simply use what I feel is best to take down the enemy. I’m over it though. Run what you want, as should everyone, it’s this idea that rainbow players are somehow more skilled that’s ridiculous. I’ve watched plenty of attacks through streams and on line and I know the difference between a skilled player and one that isn’t, and it is never based on their stack composition.

1 Like

if you like mono more power to you that’s your style of play and if it works for you I am not one to judge. I just know everyone rosters are not as deep as other peoples meaning they need more ways to learn to counter to maximize what they have. this is my raid team that I use over 90% of my matches and as i level it i get higher. my highest to date is 146 so almost to top 100 which is cool but I spent 2 solid months In platinum taking on the craziest matches I could with all kind of set ups to find the best odds for what team comps to run at what power level gap to help everyone in my allaince do better at wars and clean ups. being that I only have run mono on a titan or sometimes against a mono defense set up it just dont get the same feel as when I skill counter vs ended pepple with insane stack gem damage.

I don’t think anyone has suggested that. What has been suggested, I think, is that playing a mono team requires the fewest decisions about how to manipulate the board and use your specials, and playing a rainbow team requires the most decisions about how to manipulate the board and use your specials. In this respect only, playing a rainbow team takes more skill. And again it’s worth recognising - that is not always a bad thing.

2 Likes

For raids, i prefer tu use 3 1 1 or 2 2 1 or 2 1 1 1, to be fair, rainbow teams are bad.

what are the chances of a FTP player having this roster?

I use mono or 4-1 as I don’t have the hero roster yet.
I have tried 3-2 occasionally we limited success.
It’s fun when my heroes cooperate.

Again I dont have the roster, the the spiel above is quiet funny.

On war I try and take out the heaviest hitters for my alliance, again mono.
Typically 4 wins unless awful tiles.

I always hit above my power so need the edge.

Seems I am following the correct “meta”, whatever that means. :slight_smile:

I don’t like mono, best for me is 3-2 but I found 2-2-1 very usefull and strong in few last weeks

1 Like