Mono is not the best meta (in my opinion)! But what is?

2-2-1 has been my standard setup for a long time and is very consistent too. I still use it from time to time, mainly when I want to test something new, because it might be one of the safest setups out there if you use the right heroes.

1 Like

Mono, to me, is boring… The only time I run mono is against titans. All my war teams are 3-2, it just seems safer, and it usually gets me 4+ wins per war. My regular raid team is 2-2-1, because it works more often than not, and I’m too lazy to change my attacking team for every raid.

4 Likes

Not that it really matters, but. Was able to get here with just my single 3/2 raid team.

4 Likes

In war i almost always have 3/2 teams, while i prefer 3/1/1 teams in raiding.

My preferred raiding team is Albi 3 strong vs tank and delilah, though vs guin i use 3/2 3 purples plus zeline and albi.

With the various healing aids 3/1/1 isn’t as successful.

On my alt, which doesn’t quite have the depth of strong heroes, i sometimes 4/1 or mono if there’s a strong tank with a few talents.

1 Like

@Xero786 wh y does it matter having your important heroes in the corner for attacking? Does AI hit tank and flanks first ?

I run both mono and 3/2 in Alliance War depending on the opponent’s defense, but tend to go full mono in raids due to laziness, and a bit of craziness… I’ll mono stack the exact same colour as a tank sometimes just to see how well the team does attacking flanks or wings… (Cups hardly matter tbh, and the lower I fall, the easier it gets anyways…) Fast and average mana heroes are my mains, with Colen and Santa being the exceptions in my red stack. Whether running mono or 3/2, each of my team will consist of at least a single 5*; and I tend to target 3.9k TP and above as much as possible.

As @JimMe has pointed out above, the use of mono is good for taking down higher tp teams in war and raids. However, as I mentioned in a previous post here: Time for a big change - STOP Mono Colour - ‘one can’t just stack any hero and think it’s a win’. This applies to any form of stacking.

As quoted above, knowing what the opponent’s defense can do as well as creating the right synergy between your attacking heroes is half the battle. The other half, is to hope for a decent board and working around a bad one. Once again, this applies to all forms of stacking.

However, not everyone can get lucky on pulls in order to get the heroes they need. Many actually have to make do with what they have on their roster, and from some of the rosters I’ve seen, I’ve actually cringed trying to even form a decent rainbow team. Yet they manage it well, and sometimes surprise us in war.

This… Prioritising the tank with a double or triple stack is a great way to open up the opposition, but without a healer, it’ll be a hard fought battle. It’s not meta, but a fundamental part of war and raids which many ignore due to a tendency to appreciate large numbers from attacks.

Since starting the game, I have picked and maxed the heroes which I find most suitable for their roles in order to find the right balance within each stack or team formation. I always start levelling a new team in the following order: healer, followed by a sniper or two, and a buffer/debuffer/mana controller. Fast or average mana works fine for my play style, and I still have 2 Kages and a Victor sitting at 1/1.

Personally, utility of a hero trumps meta…:wink:

2 Likes

Now that people are getting 5 or so class skills on at least their tank, I have a feeling that Mono is going to die off a little bit. Guin, Ageir , Ares are not going down with 3 tiles anymore. Even GM has survived. This makes Mono a little less favorable for me and I have been running it 100% for a few months. Still not at a point I have stoped, but I can see it coming.

I definitely don’t think you get bad boards every 3-4 attacks and I do not think I am that great at board manipulation. Maybe 1 out of 6. Every 3-4th will be a bad starting board but I only loose when you clear over half the existing board and still end up with nothing. I get 6 War wins every 2-3 wars.

However, in reality I do not think any mixture is any better than the other. I’ve played them all. For me Mono is more about laziness

2 Likes

Mono is fun but also way too easy many times.
I love 3/2 with healer each color or safety net hero like Zero said.
Before i used to take only hitters, it was a huge gamble and def makes your heart beat faster.
i learned the 3/2 setup with healers will make the raids last longer but you stay alive.

1 Like

It’s a good habit to get into, but not neccessary vs every team you’ll face. There is a good amount of heroes that hit more than 1 target and by placing your safety net or important heroes (healer/revive) in the corners they are less likely to to be hit by an AoE skill and you won’t lose them both on a single attack (not counting an atk all skill).
The closer a hero is to the middle will raise the chances they are hit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @JimMe. I never thought about that when I set them up

Thank you for all who took the tine to read my article. All who did will see I made clear where I believe it is most effective, and where other tactics are.

Regarding Wars, whilst indeed you may only one shot 4 to 6 teams (no guarantees), those hits are capable of letting a 3400 power team oneshot or seriously devestate a 4100 to 4200 team. This is big points for those players.

At no point did i say mono was the ONLY tactic. And thanks for those who will read with intrigue further posts I will make on other areas.

I am happy to accept all feedback, my alliance just asked for help on setting up mono and how kept reaching top of GB and top 100 in world for raids along with hitting 350 to 400 pts in wars and 300 to 400k on titans. If this even helps 1 other person, my job is done. To be honest, the fact it has provoked any response is good for me, and enjoyable to read. I just hope all who comment read my guide.

3 Likes

I use mono teams regularly, mostly because I am lazy, but also because I have had most success with mono teams. I haven’t been lucky with my summons. I have been playing almost two years and I have not received any 5* from a summon. So I am relying only on TC heroes. Maybe if I had HOTMs or event heroes with their more diverse specials I would not use mono teams so much.

Being able to take out almost any tank with three tiles and creating a hole in the defense is quite effective. I generally stack against the tank but I have been quite successful also when using a neutral stack against the tank.

2 Likes

I think the best “meta” is the one you can run most comfortable.
Like if you got 30+ of the good 80s (gm, zel, kage,…) you are more likely to run 3/2 as you can build better teams with more synergy.
For me 3/2 and 4/1 are not the best for my roster. My mix of 70s and 80s went down too fast if the board was not in my favor so i often had no time to turn the board.
When i run mono on the other Hand, i might take a hero out with a 3-combo. When i’m lucky and tiles crit, i might even take out a neutral color hero. That normaly gives me more time to turn a bad board tp my favor than 3/2 does.
My roster does not allow me to go for 6 oneshots, only 5, but i get 4-5 one shots most of my wars.

Every combination of heroes has it’s own pro and con. But at the endgame, if you got a very large roster the meta is 3/2 imo. For everyone else the meta is what you are able to Play, what suits your playstyle and ofc, the heroes you own.

5 Likes

Many folks in this thread are in 7DD and they fight tons of Guins in AW. I use mostly 3-2 in wars as well but if the tank is weak I may use 2-2-1 because you can still get bad boards with 3-2. That also holds in some raids where I know my team is as good or better than the other.

The tanks I usually use three heroes for even in raids are Guin, Justice, Yunan, Boss Wolf, Hel (most) and Ares (some). Gravemaker gets 2-2-1 maybe because I have Athena. So does Drake although he is a pain and depending on flanks I may use 3-2

2 Likes

I will run 3/2 over mono. Mono is ok in events, but raids/titans you’re way too dependent on the board.

I go 2,2,1 on war and I’ve had perfect 6 wins seven times in the last 7 weeks. I have been able to overturn some really consistently horrible boards with this strategy because of having 3 active colors where 2 are strong and the third is a well rounded hero. I stack against tank and one flank; note that we are fighting even top 40 teams and I’ve still gotten such results.

For raids I’m always comfortable with 3,1,1.

2 Likes

I understand the value of using mono in events, where the object is to maximise damage and a lot of failed attempts do no harm; against Titans, where the very high upside may outweigh the battles in which little damage is scored, and even in wars and raids against more powerful opponents, where the chances of beating them without using an extreme strategy are slim.

I don’t understand the use of mono (or, frankly, any heavy stack tactic) in raids and wars by players with a good selection of fully ascended 4* and 5* heroes. Yes, some wins will come very easily. But if you’re depending on only one colour of tiles, a significant number of losses will also come very easily.

When raiding and warring, you get to choose your opponent. Why not just choose an opponent to suit the best rainbow (or 2-1-1-1, or 2-2-1, or even, god forbid, 3-2) heroes you have? Surely that will generate a better win percentage than mono?

(A note on skill. Mono requires fewer tile decisions to be made than other strategies, because in mono thee are essentially only two colours - ‘strong’ and ‘missing’. This is a real advantage for Titans and events, when time is of the essence. When time is (almost) immaterial, in raids and wars, it seems like it might actually be a disadvantage. Your heroes’ mana will charge simultaneously regardless of your tile decisions. You might make it charge more quickly or more slowly by generating more or fewer strong tile matches, but you lose the opportunity to prioritise individual heroes’ mana depending on the board and your opponents’ specials. We sometimes overrate the skill required to play this game, but I think mono certainly eliminates a small aspect of the game that sometimes requires a bit of thought and planning.)

6 Likes

Well, I have seen the Video and I have seen many of them in the past and it was always really good board for a mono Team. My experiance is that I got no match in right colour for 4-5 turns…meanwhile my team is close to death. The videos are impressive but my experiance learnt me that this is not normal. Luck is not my companion so I keep using rainbow and double or tribble where it makes sense…

2 Likes

I did find your article very useful to read. Not because it taught me much, but because it brought up some questions and a good article does that. I think that it’s an interesting discussion we have here and may give people different insights on how to utilise their roster.

2 Likes

usually, i play mono only purple and red. i’m not five star stuffed, but my two team just below are pretty efficient.

purple : rigard, obakan, cyprian, tib, sabina. riposte style, nice to play.
red : wilbur, sumitomo, boldtusk, elena, scarlet. riposte and share damage

if the puzzle is nice, the victory is garanted…but sometimes, the pain goes on…

for green, blue and yellow, i play 4-1.

before i played 3-2. 4-1 is really cool.

RNG is always a big component…it’s a big part of this game, and make it spicy :smile: