Minor Adjustment to Hero Powers

Explain this to me as I don’t see how this helps with matchmaking. Currently 3 3* hero’s totally untouched equate to the same tp as 1 maxed 5* hero. Surely the problem isn’t the overly high tp value placed on a maxed 5* but the ridiculously high starting tp applied to an untouched 3*???

Unless otherwise specified by a member of the SGG staff, I won’t believe it will affect matchmaking. Especially since it’s not even mentioned in the OP.

Not by any dictionary I own …

What you have right is this: This will make hero power better reflect the hero’s actual effectiveness. Since war matching is based on hero power, this will improve war matching.

No need to get worked up over it though.

3 Likes

I missed it the first time I read too, but something is mentioned:

3 Likes

Notice the part “as well as improve matchmaking for alliance wars.” Me and several others have been suggesting this adjustment for several months, ever since they first started using hero power as the matching metric as it was wholely inaccurate in it’s current iteration.

3 Likes

hah my bad 20 chars…

1 Like

Just because someone says it will improve it doesn’t make it so. The tp applied to unlevelled hero’s starts far too high…that is the problem. How on earth do 3 3* unlevelled hero’s take on 1 5* maxed hero??? Yet the sum of their tps is virtually equal!

I’m not a fan of using TP of heroes to match war opponents anyway, so I’d rather see a swifter move towards basing matches on previous war effort

1 Like

You know, if the War Chest is enough to discourage Alliance jumping … that kind of thing is looking more and more like the least bad solution.

Doesn’t change that it is an improvement (particularly to AW, as currently designed) to have hero power better reflecting actual effectiveness.

1 Like

Matching is based on the sum of team power of the top 30 heroes. If you have a bunch of unleveled 4* and 5* heroes on your bench alongside the maxed 3* you’re actually using in wars (because they are stronger and more effective), your top 30 power rating is higher than your effective heroes can sustain, and you’ll be matched with someone who has mostly leveled 4* (probably between 2/50 and 3/60). Neither your maxed 3* nor your unleveled 5* will be able to compete with the mostly leveled 4*.
Now multiply this by 30 members in each alliance and you can see how the alliance with a lot of unleveled 4* and 5* heroes can easily end up overmatched.

By reducing the power rating of the 4* and 5* heroes relative to the 3*, war matching will be more likely based on the actual most effective heroes rather than an inflated number.

3 Likes

What does that thread have to do with this thread?

Here is another example. Roughly the same strength and 40 ish power point difference

A big thanks goes to our previous AW opponents for the screenshots.

So, if the net decrease between 4* and 5* is 13, why not just drop 5* 13? Or decrease the special kicker on a 5* by 2 per special level (that would be 14).

Because the difference is much more pronounced with unleveled 5* than it is once they’re partially leveled.

1 Like

This change is appreciated.
But better 5* balance would be appreciated much more…
For example: “the tank problem”

In general, is a 4-star at 4/70 and a 5-star at 3/70 roughly equivalent in terms of battle effectiveness?

Also, @TylerDirtyn, in the pictures you shared, it seems as though Gregorion has a substantially better special skill compared to Caedmon (or do the speed differences cancel those out?).

Speed should always taken into account when comparing specials. You also have to keep in mind that nearly every HOTM has a ridiculously OP special and the power point difference is minimal in SGGs eyes when it comes to special skills. For example most TC20 heroes too power is 770 while HOTM are between 777 and 780. Whether Gregorian or Caedmon have a better special at that level is also debatable because it is situational and Caedmon is a fast sniper dispell vs Greg is an Average sniper utility.

1 Like

Catch is that UNLEVELED or partially leveled 4/5 star is in power bigger than MAXED 2/3 star, and in capability in the field - inferior.

And current power formula is something like 80% number of stars and the rest is mix of attack, defence, health, specials… With this modification, stars would get less impact, finally.

1 Like

I agree with the need for this change to better reflect what we all know: a completed 3* is better than an unleveled 4* or 5* in nearly every case. What I don’t like about the proposed solution is that it also changes the relative relationship of leveled heroes.

Currently the power # goes up by 5 each time the special increases. Suppose instead that it goes up by a larger figure, say 6 for epic heroes and 7 for legendary heroes, so that this reset of the base value diminishes as the hero progresses?

BTW, in case people are wondering how these power calculations relate to the hero, here’s some work I did to decode the power ratings: