Meanwhile in Utah, USA Magnitude 5.7 Earthquake Rattles Salt Lake City (Strongest in Nearly 30 Years)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/utah-earthquake/index.html

I was 2 miles east of the epicenter at work in a factory setting around cranes and tanks, and other big machinery. Seeing stuff shaking and pipes bursting. I’ve never been so terrified in all my life. I left work early, and we are still having aftershocks. Strongest earthquake for Utah in 28 years, and I’m from Tennessee. I’ve never experienced anything like this ever.

Glad you are O.K. scary times everywhere currently, never seen anything like this in my entire life. Prayers out to everyone in the area.

6 Likes

Thank you, @Petri, for putting this in the right forum. I’m still learning.

5 Likes

33 shakes so far seems real scary … stay safe .

1 Like

Sweet heavens. This one shook our apartment building so bad, stuff fell off shelves again, and it was just an aftershock. I have so much anxiety right now. I know California gets 'em worse, but for me, this is hard.

2 Likes

Stay safe buddy, sending you strength for steady nerves. I know of a mobile game that might help you take your mind off of things if you need it… jk, trying to inject some levity. Stay smart, stay safe, ride it out, and try to remember the details because you’re going to be telling stories about this for the rest of your life :slightly_smiling_face:

You got this.

“We just had a near-life experience” ~Tyler Durden

3 Likes

Sorry for the flagworthy comments. I get that what we have going on here isn’t anywhere near as bad as what they see around the Ring of Fire or elsewhere. I believe I made that very clear ad nauseam, but there’s no reason to compare struggles and making comments that seek to diminish another person’s relevance or challenges. My dependents have been frightened all day. Am I supposed to tell them that they are weak and they can’t be scared because they don’t live in the Bay Area of California where earthquakes, I guess, happen everyday?

4 Likes

No worries. I may have been overreacted.

Stay safe and keep in mind that after an earthquake, multiple replies can be expected. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. Now you have yet another real story to tell to your child(s) when they grow up. :smiley:

2 Likes

I was driving when it happened. I thought I must have a flat tire at first, or that my steering was having trouble. Meanwhile my kids slept through it.
It’s a shame about the airport. I’ve seen videos of the damage with the burst water line. :cry:

3 Likes

Hope everyone is OK and that there wasn’t to much damage done to yours and surrounding areas.

I agree members should be more mindful of these types of posts and how they respond, as these are just daily active members sharing a life experience that had an impact on them and just the fact they took the time to place a post here shows they have respect for the forum members here and consider them like family.

It’s not put here as a competition as to who had or experienced the worst.

Hope it all settles soon for you guys.

Take care guys.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for that response, @Ozy1. I really do appreciate that.

3 Likes

Glad to hear that you and your family are okay @Mothra!

In my conscious life I have never experienced an earthquake that big (was born in Monterey, but moved away before I was old enough to understand those things). Stay safe!

2 Likes

Glad you’re safe @Mothra. As a Californian I understand how unsettling an earthquake of that magnitude can feel especially if you’re close to the epicenter. You and all of Utah are in my thoughts and prayers. Continue to stay safe.

1 Like

With everyone already on edge because of coronavirus, I can imagine how freaked out you were. I’ve experienced a few earthquakes myself and that feeling of the earth moving beneath your feet is downright frightening!

2 Likes

@Mothra. Hope you’re able to feel comfortable. Those things can be trippy. As a native Californian, I’ve been through some. I’m fact, you know how each generation has an event that they reference? For me, it’s the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 (when the Bay Bridge collapsed). If I want to know what year I was in say the second grade, I go like this: I was in sixth grade during the quake so that’s 4 years earlier so 1985-1986. That’s me.

I recall being at a neighbors house playing super Mario bro’s while my little brother played. We went into a framed area by the front door. I could literally see the s-waves going through - the car parked on the street went up relative to the grass and then the grass went up as the car went down. I’ve never seen that before or since.

5.7 is definitely going to shake you, but our codes account for it, especially in Utah which is a known seismic area. All should be fine. Hope you can get your center soon and feel comfortable that you live in a developed country that has provided the infrastructure we have. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cookie Settings