(08:00 GMT)
2019-05-26T08:00:00Z
(08:00 GMT)

:no_pedestrians: This Week’s Restrictions & Special Rule

credit to @TomV93 for the inspiration on element emojis

:dizzy: Special Rule: Buff Booster

Each buffs adds an attack multiplier!

For other threads in the Sixth Raid Tournament series, please see:

:left_speech_bubble: Before and During the Tournament: Share & Discuss Your Teams, Thoughts, and Questions!

Some topics to start off with:

• Do this week’s restrictions on hero/troop rarity and elements make your bench depth better or worse suited to this Raid Tournament than Regular Raids?

• Are there heroes you’re likely to use for this Tournament that you normally don’t make use of anymore?

• Are there heroes you plan to power level for this Tournament, or level before the next time a Tournament like this one rolls around?

• What are you thinking about using for your Defense Team?

• Are there heroes you expect to see on Enemy Defenses that you think you’ll have a harder time dealing with than usual because of the restrictions or special rule in this Tournament?

• Which of your heroes will you be likely to use on your Attack Teams?

• Will the restrictions or special rule of this Tournament change your usual approach to color stacking or team building?

• Are there elements of this week’s Tournament that are unclear to you?

:gem: After the Tournament: Share Your Results & Rewards!

• What was your score and ranking?

• What did you get for loot?

Overview of Weekly Raid Tournaments

:medal_sports: Tournament

Click for the Overall Process for the Tournament

:tickets: Attacking

Click for How Attacking Works

Other than restrictions on heroes/troops and Special Rules, the Raids themselves in Weekly Raid Tournaments work the same way as regular Raids.

Each day, you’ll be able to attack up to 5 teams.

The flags used for Raid Tournaments are separate from regular Raid flags.

NOTE: Kills in Raid Tournaments count toward your Wanted: Heroes Raid Chest, so Raid Tournaments also effectively give you extra flags to potentially help fill your chest.

One notable difference to Regular Raids — you can’t reroll.

For the whole of the Tournament, you have 4 “Lives.” Each time you lose a Raid, you lose one life.

The lives do not reset across days of the Tournament. Once you’d lost 4 times at any point during the Tournament, you are out.

If you choose, you can pay some gems to reset your lives after 4 losses — but your score and ranking would still be lowered because of the losses. Paying to reset your lives does NOT give you an advantage from the Raids you’ve already fought. It simply allows you to continue using your normal 5 flags per day and not be “out” of the Tournament.

There is no way to buy additional flags. So everyone ultimately had the same number of maximum flags to use for attacks during the Tournament. The only thing gems allow you to do is continue playing if you’ve used up all of your lives.

@NPNKY explained this well:

CAVEAT: How this worked in beta changed SEVERAL times during testing. It’s very possible we’ll see how all of this works evolve over time, much like Alliance Wars have changed many times since initial release.

:busts_in_silhouette: Matchmaking

This is an area of the Raid Tournaments that’s obviously had significant problems, and continual revision.

The developers are continuing to work to refine and improve how matchmaking works, so we don’t know exactly what to expect yet, but they’ve set up a Raid Tournament Change Log, which you can monitor for updates.

Matchmaking for Attacks

As of the Third Raid Tournament, initial matchmaking was based on your Top 5 strongest heroes that qualified for the Tournament’s rarity and elemental restrictions:

This was slightly amended as of the Fourth Raid Tournament:

• The difficulty of the opponents reduced slightly in the beginning of tournaments.

Matchmaking for Defense

As of the Sixth Raid Tournament, matchmaking for Defense teams was changed again:

• Further improvements to the distribution of attacks, especially for the top players.
    • Keep in mind that if you’re in the top, your defense team will receive more attacks. This is due to the fact that there is a small number of top defense teams that are good matches for a large number of top attackers. We try to prioritize choosing a good opponent over choosing a too easy or too difficult opponent that hasn’t been attacked as much. We have also implemented a limit on how attacks count towards your Defense Grade. After the first five attacks of the day, only one attack per hour counts towards the grade.
  • Changes to the starting difficulty of opponents your defense team faces.
    • It is no longer based on the defense team you pick, but your best heroes that match the tournament requirements. We’ve brought this rule back because we want to encourage players to choose the best defense team they can, and thus provide a better challenge to their opponents. Due to the way the Team Power is calculated it was possible, for example, to pick a defense team of two fully leveled, fully ascended heroes that were on paper equal in Team Power with a full team of lower rarity heroes, but in practice that full team would be defeated in most cases.

Feedback on Matchmaking

=> 🏅 [Sixth Raid Tournament] Discussion and Feedback on Raid Tournament Matchmaking

Some thoughts on Raid Tournaments...once matchmaking works properly

Once matchmaking is working correctly, Raid Tournaments should offer some interesting shifts vs. normal Raids, because everyone is playing under the same restrictions — if the week’s Tournament only allows 3* heroes, it’s not like you’re taking your 3* team up against someone’s 4* team.

Players with deeper benches meeting the requirements will obviously benefit, but just having a pile of maxed 5* or the best HOTM won’t do anything for you in a tournament that doesn’t allow 5* heroes.

In the long run, that should make Tournaments interesting — but we’ll need to see if the changes to matchmaking have resolved the problems from the first two Raid Tournaments.

:trophy: Scoring

Click for details on Scoring

NOTE: Hat tip to @DracoLovesRi for pointing out that there haven’t seemed to be “extra points” for a victorious attack:

New as of the Second Raid Tournament:

:shield: Defense Team Grade

Click for How Defense Team Grade Works

I found this was actually very clear and useful — and I think provides some insights into regular Raid Defense Teams too.

The grades are assigned based on a percentage of wins by your Defense Team:

The Defense Grade is determined based on the win percentage of your Defense Team. At the end of each Battle Day, you receive points based on your grade.

Percent Won Grade Points
60% A 900
50% B 650
40% C 500
30% D 400
0% E 200

My Personal Take on This:

The top grade in this approach was awarded to a Defense Team that won 60% of the time. To me, that’s a good confirmation of what many of us have long accepted: Raids are unfair, but not for the reasons you think - Raids MASTER — that is, they heavily favor the attacker, and even a top-notch Defense Team will lose much of the time.

:no_entry_sign: Restrictions

Each Week can have restrictions on:

• Hero and troop rarity — e.g. only allowing 3* heroes and 2* troops or below

• Elements — e.g. no red/fire heroes allowed

:dizzy: Special Rules

Click for details on Special Rules

Each week has ONE Special Rule in effect.

(At least in beta; it’s possible live Tournaments may sometimes have multiple Special Rules at once. If that ever happens, I would be surprised if we see that before core elements like matchmaking are working properly, so I anticipate a single Special Rule for the foreseeable future.)

The possible Special Rules are:

Whichever Special Rule is in effect for a given Tournament remains in effect for the entirety of that Tournament.

The Special Rule affects both Defense and Offense teams.

Some Clarifications/Expansions

• Rush Attack makes all hero specials of any speed Very Fast — it doesn’t require Very Fast heroes, it turns all heroes into Very Fast heroes. Heroes that are normally Slow or Average can become quite powerful in this setting.

• Bloody Battle makes any healing effects do nothing. It doesn’t prohibit healers, it just prevents the healing portion of their special skill from having any effect.

• Buff Booster adds a stackable 20% attack buff to each hero for each active buff on that hero. Using heroes with special skills that grant buffs or multiple buffs can lead to very high attack boosts. These buffs stack with each other and normal attack buffs.

:gem: Rewards

As of the Second Raid Tournament, loot was temporarily reduced while problems with the Raid Tournaments are fixed:

For discussion/feedback about the reduced loot, please see this thread: Reduced Raid Tournament Loot During Work on Matchmaking [Developer Response in Post 334]

Click for Archive of First Tournament's Loot, before reduction

Acronyms in this table:

• AM: Ascension Materials
  • EHT: Epic Hero Token
  • ETT: Epic Troop Token

Any of the tiers starting at top 75% have a chance for ascension mats.

Here’s the current breakdown for ascension mats, tokens, and Emblems (for simplicity, I didn’t include the Flasks, Atlantis Coins, Battle Items, and Crafting Materials that are in loot in addition to these):

Tier AM Chance EHT/ETT Chance Emblems Chance
75-100% 0 0 1 Draw: 100% x1
50-75% 1 Draw: 5% 3* 1 Draw: 5% EHT, 15% ETT 1 Draw: 20% x3, 30% x2, 50% x1
25-50% 1 Draw: 18% 3*, 2% 4* 1 Draw: 15% EHT, 25% ETT 1 Draw: 40% x5, 60% x3
10-25% 1 Draw: 22% 3*, 3% 4* 2 Draws: 20% EHT, 40% ETT 1 Draw: 40% x5, 35% x10, 25% x20
5-10% 2 Draws: 45% 3*, 5% 4* 2 Draws: 25% EHT, 45% ETT 1 Draw: 10% x50, 20% x30, 30% x20, 40% x10
1-5% 2 Draws: 95% 3*, 5% 4* 2 Draws: 40% EHT, 60% ETT 1 Draw: 5% x100, 30% x50, 30% x30, 35% x20
Top 1% 2 Draws: 90% 3*, 10% 4* 3 Draws: 50% EHT, 50% ETT 1 Draw: 25% x100, 50% x35, 30% x40

:thinking: Feedback on Raid Tournaments

:bug: Bug Reporting

Please see these threads for existing bug reports before creating a new report

Click for Existing Bug Reports

:link: Related Topics

Click for Older Threads

General

Fifth Raid Tournament

Fourth Raid Tournament

Third Raid Tournament

Second Raid Tournament

First Raid Tournament

Older Threads from Before Raid Tournaments Launched

4 Likes

So it’s Buff Booster, 4*, all colors.
Any ideas for good teams?

1 Like

Just play like how you would with a normal 4* team.

Have at least one dispel hero such as Caedmon/Sonya/Mel/Sabina in your defense team.

1 Like

Melendor

And wilbur for the buffs maybe

The problem i have is i have melendor 3.45 but also hansel 4.40

Wilbur 3.10 but also boldtusk 4.40

So i wonder if i shoudl set my best team or my best sinergy team

1 Like

Boril or Cyprian for tank. Gadeirus might be popular as well.

1 Like

I don’t think that Wilbur is a good choice as he gives a buff to the other team as well.

6 Likes

Offense or defense.

A dispel hero to dispel opposing enemy buffs.
I would ignore my own buffs.

1 Like

Attack is easy

I wonder about defence team

1 Like

Should we put a weaker team again like last tournament? like 3 4* heroes and 2 1* heroes on the corners.

1 Like

I’ll try with Kiril, Kashhrek, Cyprian, Caedmon and Agwe. Every hero buffs, except Caedmon, but I think he will be useful, too.

1 Like

That might work just fine. The loot is uninspiring anyway, so you can test such a defense

1 Like

This is what I mean, put a dispel hero in your defense team.

Theoretically, this raid tournament was a week later than expected because they were introducing changes… If only we had an updated change log…

4 Likes

Any change for this tournament? @Petri
Thanks in advance.

I PMed to ask a little bit ago. I was told there was nothing major, but that they were reading through the info and would clarify more if needed.

2 Likes

The attack points are from difficulty bonus, proportional to number of heroes defeated, and base points which are 110 split proportional, plus 90 bonus for defeatibg all five heroes,

1 Like

So the defensive matchup is still based on defense team applied, right?

We have now published the latest changes and improvements here:

https://support.smallgiantgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021372273

18 Likes

Nope

Changes to the starting difficulty of opponents your defense team faces.

It is no longer based on the defense team you pick, but your best heroes that match the tournament requirements. We've brought this rule back because we want to encourage players to choose the best defense team they can, and thus provide a better challenge to their opponents. Due to the way the Team Power is calculated it was possible, for example, to pick a defense team of two fully leveled, fully ascended heroes that were on paper equal in Team Power with a full team of lower rarity heroes, but in practice that full team would be defeated in most cases.

Changed it back to most strong hero’s again

3 Likes