[Master] - Improving Rare Titans

If the tooltip says “one AM drops to the alliance per titan star,” people will know what they’re getting. That might mitigate the disappointment effect.

1 Like

All variations with non-guaranteed loot point me to keeping current frequency. If the drop rate is increased at the expense of frequency, the likelihood of disappointment and frustration is high.

2 Likes

Agreed, as long as the frequency issue isn’t introduced.

Worth noting: with no change at all to the current system except disclosure of the drop rate percentage, people would likely be less surprised/disappointed.

I’m not sure I agree. People still despise the 5* drop rate from summonings, even though it’s published. Telling people the current drop rate will just confirm the feeling that rare titans are a waste of time. It needs to go up meaningfully.

1 Like

I still think it should be raised dramatically. Just identifying that there are two improvements intertwined in the “know what they’re getting” statement earlier:

• Knowing what to expect
  • Having actually decent chances
2 Likes

Ok, now for the dumb question: if I edit the idea, does it reset the votes?

You should be able to edit your original post without resetting votes. Votes just don’t follow along if a post is moved, closed, or split.

1 Like

@BarryWuzHere, @Gryphonknight, @General_Confusion, @Brobb, I’d appreciate your thoughts on this idea if you have a minute. I really value your analysis and insight.

1 Like

This isn’t a math question; it is a game balance question.

When rare titans came out, this “chance” of a specific 4* mat dropped made them sound like a significant source of ascension mats being added to the game.

What I’ve seen in the single digit number of rare titans looks like ~1 4* bonus mat for one of 30 people in the alliance per titan on average. I haven’t collected data, and the event is rare enough that I could easily be off by a factor of 2 or 3.

That drop rate means that rare titans are mostly a tougher titan battle 'cuz it is fun to push yourself against a tougher titan, and an excuse to use up titan flasks, and learn to deal with a titan that slaughters your team in new and different ways than the old ones you are used to.

I figure I’ve gotten more total 4* mats from mystic vision than I have from rare titan bonus rolls.

Anyhow … that’s what the situation IS, as I see it.

If SG intended rare titans to be a significant source of 4* mats, they failed. If they intended to give us a tease about them but not provide much, while giving us a new challenge killing titans which were becoming old hat, they succeeded.

7 Likes

Some of this was discussed on another thread, but over all I am :+1: with the idea improving the drop rates on rare titan bonus rolls, or their loot in general. This is just because right now they aren’t a game feature, but instead just a big disappointment. As I stated in the other thread, we just let them escape. It isn’t even worth the effort.

I do think that such increases SHOULDN’T be linearly based on the number of stars a titan has. I think on the low end, where they are still putting out a ton of effort, that isn’t enough reward. And at the high end it is too much. In fact I think the top alliances can kill a 12 star rare more easily than a fledgling alliance struggling with a 5 star regular could kill a 4 star rare.

Nor do I think that they should be guaranteed by loot tier, though weighting the odds that way would be fine.

Maybe something like this (strawman proposal)

[Edit - my formatting was lost when posting - first set of numbers is for the 4 star mats and second is for the 3 star, in case that wasn’t clear]

Number of Stars Number of 4* mats Number of same color 3 star
1-5 AM/10 (3) AM/5 (6)
6-9 AM/8 (4) AM/3 (10)
10-12 AM/6 (5) AM/2 (15)

Where AM = number of people in the alliance, and the number in () is the number that should happen with a 30 player alliance.

And the odds of getting one is based on grades (roll per AM, determine what grade gets them and then who - once you get one you can’t get a second):

A to A+: 40%
B: 30%
C: 20%
D:10%

All the above is for the bonus roll only. The other rolls are per normal.

2 Likes

I’m sorry that I only had the chance to photo the last slide of the loot. The previous loot was absolutely nothing. I spent so many materials and 4 flask to make that damage. on 9* tiger titan(Which was very hard to kill) and the loot was this… (I’m the A+ attacker)

The Rare titan loot should be increased… No one from the alliance got the rings, nor some good loot…

I think this is accurate for me too.

As a general principle, I prefer being rewarded more often on average for effort than sheer randomness. To me that’s an indication that the current drop rate for rare titans is broken.

3 Likes

Linking for reference:

Do they have an advanced linker badge? If so you should either have it, or be getting it soon!

2 Likes

lol probably not…but I have thought about writing a guide to using the forum search.

The problem is I know no one who needs the guide will ever find it. :laughing:

3 Likes

lol…now that is both funny and sadly true.

2 Likes

That sounds pretty cool… There’s issues I could foresee… So might need a little tweeking, Ive got to mull over how to word some of them without seemingly attackimg people… So bear with me as I mull it over and I’ll post my 2 cents worth as it were.

1 Like

Take whatever time you need. SG usually isn’t super-fast about responding to ideas.

2 Likes

@BarryWuzHere Thanks! I really appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

That’s an interesting question. I’m not sure what they really intended. In general, I’ve been less concerned with what their conception of a rare titan was than with the net effect on the game and its players of rare titains as they’re realized.

I agree with you that the challenge is fun. And I genuinely appreciate that. But it seems like they either need to strip the “bonus chance at rare AM” tag entirely, and just make it a pure challenge fight, or fix the loot rolls. At this point, it’s neither fish nor fowl.

1 Like

Thank you for the thoughts! Your point about the scaling with stars is well taken, although I’d say that strong alliances need more rare AM than lower level alliances, because 100% of their focus is on 5* heros.

Upthread, @Zephyr1 was expressing some concern that loot tiering fore the 3*/4* AM would openly encourage naked flasking and a no-holds-barred rush for high placing. He’s probably better that I am at expressing that concern.

1 Like