Lunar New Year – Rename “Happy Chinese New Year” Offers

why not Lunar New Year, as it’s based on the Lunar calendar/lunar cycle?

(my family is Chinese but I also prefer to use the term Lunar new year)

2 Likes

Since Christianity originated in Israel, is all Christianity of Israel?

Where it originated is important, but it is equally important how it changed from where.

Okay have a good time

1 Like

And i never said im not ok with that…
But u cant blame SG for calling it Chinese New Year since is also a legit name.

That doesn’t mean they’re denying your right to celebrate…the name might change but is still the same festival…
Does it matter more that is called Christmas or that Christ was born on that day?
I don’t get it…substance should be what matters.
Anyway once again, I’m out

Smh…
Welcome to the age of everything is offensive, everyone is offended, everyone is a victim.

3 Likes

It was your logic to argue that it was because of the origin.
The solar calendar originates in Egypt, so do all national holidays belong to Egypt? Think about it if you have a chance.

Good bye!

By popular vote they would win? oh my. Bye bye to the Philippine islands then… :stuck_out_tongue:
As I said in another thread, my family is also Chinese - but I prefer to call it Lunar New Year. Doesn’t really matter to me either way. Neither name would offend me.

1 Like

@Petri
It is not only a Chinese holiday, but a holiday in Northeast Asia as a whole. It can be offensive to Japanese, Korean, and Taiwanese people.

Request corrections like ‘Oriental New Year’.

Modified. ‘Lunatic New Year’
I think the best idea.

1 Like

China owns the world. Just watch the news lol

3 Likes

I dunno about that. The proposal is sooo wrong in so many levels. Firstly, there is no such thing as Oriental New Year. Secondly, the Chinese New Year is based on the Chinese Calendar, with some other neighboring countries adopting some of its elements. Thirdly, China is one of the oldest country in the world, having invented and developed this calendar. Fourthly, us Orientals or easterners do not have one common celebration practiced tradionally, probably by reason of its diverse religions, ethnicities, cultures, and the various western countries colonizing us.

But I do agree. Small Giant has found a new way and excuse for them to banner gem offers. I believe this is the first time doing this Chinese New Year stuff. But I am numb to their offers. All you need to do is to close the pop up offer, after another, after another, after another.

4 Likes

It was only a matter of time. Vegas this time of year (usually…) is decorated extensively in Chinese New Year wrappings.

I mean, in the UK we were probably slow to jump onto what the US has been doing for years…namely bandwagoning trends for profits. But we are catching up…

Still, I do like Vegas in February. The Wynn especially goes all out.

3 Likes

It should be call Lunar New Year as many countries celebrate, and not specific to Chinese if they want to be politically correct and not alienate other countries…

2 Likes

why not Lunar New Year, as it’s based on the Lunar calendar/lunar cycle?

“Oriental” as a term can also be offensive to some…

(my family is Chinese but I also prefer to use the term Lunar new year)

2 Likes

My thoughts were short. It’s Good idea!

2 Likes

Why are you so upset?

1 Like

Agreed, people getting offended just for the sake of getting offended or pushing their own agenda

4 Likes

wow, welcome to the age where the forums have degenerated into accusing those making a thoughtful suggestion, slinging around words like “pathetic” because some people care a bit, and snuffing out civil discussion.

1 Like

Haha imagine that… someone else offended…

It’s political correctness, run amok. The day and age where everything has has to be “corrected “ and we have to walk on eggshells in case we offend someone.

1 Like

There were a few sensible ideas here but not enough civil discussion.

I’m going to close the thread.

5 Likes