Loot Boxes & Online Gambling Discussion Thread

I see your point but I don’t necessarily think a bad thing in the longer term. I strongly feel that monetization based on gacha/loot boxes is just lazy design. It will be interesting to see if developers can create content that people are willing to pay for rather than relying on predatory mechanics, as most do now.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I remember black friday well. Didn’t impact me personally that much, cause I was only a (slight) winning player on the microstakes and don’t live in the US. But tables got tougher without the US player pool…

But back on topic: I doubt that the gambling prohibition can be applied on mobile games like E&P, cause there is no chance to bet and really win money. You buy a gacha and your money is gone, that’s obvious to anyone. In germany it’s called pseudo-gamble… and atually it’s even worse, cause at real gamble you at least have the chance to win money. So it’s kind of a paradox that the one is forbidden and the other is not.

well to give an idea from my calculations I had to have a better then 50% chance of summoning Black Knight one would have to spend over $900 and to have a greater than 50% in summoning Gravemaker last Atlantis I had it that one would have to spend just shy of $600.

now of course all this is missing the fact that you have odds of getting other heros as well eg you may not get Gravemaker but you may instead get Kagiburado or Ranvir.
you may not get BlackKnight but you may get LotL. you would need to spend $179.40 to have a greater than 50% if getting an event hero. but then if we included the HOTM since most people pull for that included to have a greater then 50% of summoning an event hero or HOTM it would be $78
now obviously when I pull I whilst I may be targeting Gravemaker in Atlantis and say Black Knight in avalon really I do not have bottomless pockets and have saved up gems for some time to attain one of those six.

So do we price Black Knight at $900 $179 or $78? or since it greater than 50% do we just double all those numbers?
Still I cant see myself ever justifying $78 to get a single hero in this game. I can see myself loading up on deals over time and spending $78 over time with the planned target of a specific hero. This may not make logical sense and I do not claim it does but this is how psychology seems to work for me in game mechanics and it is also how it seems to work for most of the population, as Psychological studies have been done into this its why game devs build them the way they do.

I understand that, but I think paying for an individual hero is not the same as paying for quality content, but rather a means of upgrading your position within the content.

This is a grindy game but the grind itself offers no progression. The grind can get you the means to progress (AMs) but the actual progression requires a boatload of time, luck, or cash for pulls and a fair bit of patience (or more cash) to level. The content itself, while fun, is incredibly basic.

Summons are indeed ridiculous and I feel that this type of monetization is predatory and exploitative and should be banned. As a result, I don’t want to feed them another nickel–I do not expect to renew my VIP when it runs out and will probably pass on PoV (although I really could use the rings lol). My spend was quite low (USD 30-60/month) compared to some but I have had enough.

1 Like

I’ve already replied to this thread, I’m pretty sure, along with many others along the same lines…

I don’t like the model. Haven’t changed my mind on that at all.

But I also got into lots of arguments about it, apparently there are several people who do enjoy the gambling / lootbox / gacha type games. While I personally find this one to be way overpriced? A lot of people have enough money to buy multiple pulls every month, and they seem to enjoy the whole gambling aspect.

So, I’m not going to rain on their parade. If they’re having fun with it, that’s all that matters.

I’m not paying $100 or whatever for any hero. I’ll just continue playing without paying and hope to get lucky and try to be happy with whatever I get. :man_shrugging: Game is what it is. It’s not going to change anytime soon. Either you like gambling and continue to pay, you hate gambling and you uninstall, or you just accept it and continue to play as a low or non-spender without the expectation of pulling all the best heroes.

That is pretty much spot on what my spend is too. The way I manage this game is I apply maths to everything, and also strategical thinking.

Eg I wont ever go for an event with the idea of targeting just one hero eg Finley in pirates event, I work out as a whole what heros it is I want in my arsenal what i am lacking and what gives me the best chance of getting something I would be happy with.

When I decided to save up and load up to target GraveMaker I knew my odds of getting him were not great. I however had heard of a hero of the month who I was told was a clone of Gravemaker (they are not as good due to been nerfed before release) so I had GraveMaker and the HOTM to target I also would have been cool with getting Ursena, Ariel, Posidon, Mok ar (i know he not ranked but purple mono) Tarlak or a second kagi.

I still do not have Clarrisa and I do rank her just not as much as Gravemaker I feel she can still add some elements to my arsenal but I wont go crazy for her. I had intended to do 90+ pulls for gravemaker but got him after spending 5 coin pulls and a 30 pull. So now I have 15000 gems to try for Clarrisa however there is still a good a chance I wont get her. So I worked out the best place to target which for me is the Costume Chamber event, I also notice that I have a lack of green to level after Lianna is maxed (she at 4 71 right now) I only have Skittle Skulls costume to level and then I dont even have 3 stars let alone 4 or five stars to level for green. So my plan was to pull in the costume chamber until I either get two more four star or better green costumes or the HoTM or a new five star costume hero that I do not currently own (so not Isarnia or RIchard) After that I stop whether I have the HOTM or not.

I then Horde whatever Gems I have left until July because the HOTM in June is yuck. It pains me to have to pass on Guardians of Teltoc but I have no choice need to keep efficient I really would have liked Guardian Jackel. I am debating if I allow myself to do the free pulls with coins or not.

on top of this I target deals which offer specifically 2 gems a penny or equvielent eg epic hero token and 300 gems for 2.99. still giving me two pulls for this.

I then watch on youtube as someone who already has the HOTM that month and also has a few of the five star costumes decides to blow through 15000 gems trying to target two costumes he does not have when in following months there will be more costumes for him to pull and a new HOTM and it just makes me go yuck. So gem inefficient.

I do not remember that guys youtube name and if i did I would not say because I do not think that fair but yuck yuck.

Basically whatever your budget is plan it strategically to give you the best chance of been happy. you will find the odds of getting a decent five star for your buck is a lot better when you do this.

1 Like