I was thinking. There are a few characters in the game that are basically meant to tank more damage than others. And from what I’m seeing, they are not very often used. It feels to me that tankiness alone is just not very useful in this game. Perhaps characters focused on being hard to kill could use something extra to make them more appealing?
In another topic you can find a general list of heroes used in top DEFENSE teams in raids. It’s still hugely ruled by damaging heroes!
BY TANKS I MEAN CHARACTERS THAT DON’T HEAL AND DON’T PROVIDE STRONG TEAM-WIDE BUFFS. Tanky healers are great, I’m not gonna dispute it. Tanky healers who also buff teams are even goodier. I mean characters who have subpar damage, speed, or skills for the reason they are ‘tanky’. Vide Horghall or Thorne or anyone you’d say “ye he sucks, but he’s tanky”.
Reasons why it looks to me [my observations/opinions! don’t get mad if you disagree, just give yours ] tanks are less valuable than damaging characters:
Sure, it’s nice to not die on a titan fight, but it’s much better to spank it and spank it HARD. All a tanky hero can do here is survive longer than others to do mediocre damage/prolong the tile hitting a little bit. It’s not going to be a big bit either, 1 hit more perhaps? I don’t know how it is on 5*, but in my 4* team tankier heroes survive about as long as the squishballs.
Would you pick a tank over a damaging character for a titan battle? Wouldn’t it be better to grab someone like Vivica (makes everyone tanky AND heals them) or Magni (makes 3 dudes tanky AND deals a solid amount of damage) over someone who is just survivable and does crap damage (vide Horghall)?
A little while ago I was thinking that tanky characters would be very nice for defense teams. Then I found out that fast damaging heroes still absolutely rule that place. I can’t see what attacking teams look for top players, but my, am I sure they are not less damagey than their defense ones
I can see why.
a) you can target squishy targets from behind the 1st row hero with skills and some tiles
b) it’s much better to have a healer up front so that he can actually prevent the backline fellows from being sneakily dunked and basically rek everyone who gets a bad board by winning the battle of attrition and refusing to let anyone die
c) dead heroes deal no damage - put that Lianna up front, sure she might go down faster than Horghall, but she also won’t give you as much time to work around her skill and when she casts it… well, you know how that goes
d) if damagey/buffey/debuffey/healey heroes work best in attack and great in defense, um, why bother leveling up tanks? Especially since…
3. Challenge Events
What matters in a challenge event?
Also good combos, luck and items, but mostly:
What does damage do? Make the fight end faster.
What does tankiness do? Let the fight last longer.
Ya feel me?
A healer? Great, there’s a health measure too. Team-wide defense buff? Sure, it helps to prevent casualties/keep higher HP. Team-wide attack buff? Oh yea, more damage! Reduce enemy defense? Yea, more damage!
Surviving while your team dies? Erm…
Disclaimer: I do not own any real tank. My tankiest hero is probably Gormek and he’s actually good due to the defense debuff and respectable damage coupled with that useful skill. Being hard to kill is a cherry on top.
I just think tankiness in this game is not a huge valor. It can be a nice addition, but little beyond that. I remember there was a topic here recently about Thorne, how he’s a subpar hero. A response was “but he’s tanky”. So I’m asking - but is it enough?
Personally, I think it’s not. Things that make tanky heroes good, from what I see so far are:
- being also a healer (like Rigard, or Ares who also gives some nice crit)
- bringing a powerful buff to teammates (like Magni, who also does damage, though is Magni even a tank? Not so much I guess?)
- bringing a powerful debuff to enemy (like Gormek and yes lowering defense is MUCH more valuable than lowering attack, because most of the things in this game go better if you can pack a punch, being able to take it is secondary)
- dealing a lot of damage while at it (like someone, I’m sure, just can’t think off the top of my head, sorry)
It’s reasonable that a very tanky character would deal somewhat less damage than a glass cannon, or heal somewhat less than a very squishy healer, but it seems that the balance there isn’t working enough in the favor of tanks. Heroes like Lianna (no, don’t nerf Lianna I’m advocating for buffs, not nerfs, buffs make people happy, nerfs make people sad. Spread joy not misery!) are still not that easy to kill for how much they bring to the team.
Lianna’s defense is 718, Horghall sits at 650. Just saying.
(300 hp difference, no idea how much it means with such defense difference, but I’ve yet to find someone who’d prefer Horghall over Lianna, he just doesn’t have enough use. Attack debuff (meh), slow mana speed (bleh), subpar damage (yeh)).
BONUS, a list of characters who deal subpar damage and provide nothing else of real value, probably because they’re tanky:
- Horghall (-attack on enemies, pff)
- Thorne (nothing nada zit, he does deal a bit more damage than Hel or Athena, but lol specials)
- Richard (-attack on enemies, does a bit more more damage than Thorne too, but yo Thorne tanky!)
- Elkanen (i said my piece in another topic, no need to repeat)
- Kadilen (could have some raid-use if her skill actually lasted a little longer, as was said in another topic, 4 rounds could give her some agency, maybe even in the Challenge Events vs the big bosses)
- Leonidas (subpar damage, avg mana gain, less damage than fast hitters like Lianna, Sartana, Marjana, Joon, Magni, single target mana reduction and the negligible leech skill. Jack of all trades sit on the bench kk thx - also nearly lowest HP out of 5* heroes)
BONUS BONUS 4 picks:*
- Kashrek (nobody loves Kashrek, he’s kinda ‘well I didn’t have anything better to pick’ or ‘aw shit Mammoth titan’ pick. Maybe if his frost defense extended on the entire team he could fill this niche better? Idk.)
- Chao (um, compared to Li he’s kinda meh in utility. Lowest single target damage of all 4* heroes, is it because he’s tanky? Seems kinda like he doesn’t have much use if you have stuff like the damn Blindness Panda, Li, or Wukong, I’d give him some love, perhaps in the damage department to make him a nice yellow 4* choice for single-target rekkage)
Well, what do you think?