Let’s speak about Thorne

Give him suicide special, when his special goes off he kill himself with a chance of killing near by allies 33%. Or a green hero just look at him and he kill himself.

That you lost on him

IMHO Doble 3.70 Grimm would have been better for the expense of your capes

This is arguable, Thorne’s special delivers more damage while double Grimm is more versatile cause you can use 2 in tandem or in different matches in AW, so pros and cons in my opinion.
However, you may or may not pull 2 Grimms, I pulled my first one well after Thorne. The point I want to make is that for f2p it can virtuous to be able to play with what you get at beginning rather than waiting for something that may or may not come anywhere soon.

Yes but the point of everyone erested into game balance is to make so that all heroes should be better than others in some aspects (worth to be ascended) not to make them be ascended due to the lack of other heroes to be ascended.

2 Likes

Well, I understand this point, even if I don’t fully agree with it. Not in the sense that I think some heroes must be unbalanced, just I think it is not a big deal, not something to be necessarily fixed.
It is an aspect common to many strategic games the fact that in the beginning you may do something (build a building, train a hero, craft a weapon, buy a tool or whatever) that will be useful only in the first part of the game and you won’t need it later on. So you have to face a compromise: is it better to save my resources and have a harder life in the beginning or spend those resources and try to advance faster?
Of course you would be happier if that building, hero, weapon or tool was useful till the end of the game, but that’s just not the case sometimes and I think having to make this decision adds to the game.
Btw, this is clearly a personal opinion, I don’t want to convince anyone, just trying to give also a different point of view. If you manage to convince SGG to improve Thorne you will have all my gratitude, lol

2 Likes

But the fact that you don’t know what heroes you will get just makes your point less valid. In theory you are right but reality is different. I can get the best heroes or even hotms at the beginning of the game if I am lucky what means that the growth in the game is completely tied to the question if/when I am able to ascend these heroes to get better , that is the only limiting factor in the game.

Well, let’s compare him to Liana… Lower attack, higher defense, higher HP. 512 damage for Liana’s special, 460 + damage to nearby for Throne… Liana deals more damage, Throne endures more punishment… Depends on what you have planned for it. In defense Liana will vanish in smoke against any high HP / high defense riposte hero… I really don’t see much of a difference… except for being average mana…

Well… they don’t but their tiles still do :stuck_out_tongue:

The main problem is that Thorne is supposed to be a tank and Liana is a sniper. She fits her role perfectly while Thorne does not. He is a Hero with tank stats and a special of an attacker wich makes him mediocre in both roles.

3 Likes

While this is true legendary class (be it weapons, armors or our heroes) are not supposed to be earned early to be then replaced. A common endgame goal is to get them.

Those are what uncommon/rare are for.

1 Like

Thank you alcaselzer, that’s the 1st comment I’ve seen explaining how and why he could be useful at all. I’ve been playing around 8 months now and I hadn’t received even a 4* much less a 5* blue, so I feel like I have a huge hole in my team. I don’t spend alot (ave prob $15 a month) but I generally have gotten garbage summoning and very lucky (I feel) training. I’m not going to list all but just to give you an idea, in the last month I’ve received Justice, Rigard, Sartana, and Thorne from tc 20. I have multiple camps at 20 but usually only run one. I’ve been debating whether or not to put Any resources into Thorne-well actually I had pretty much decided not to because of all the negative posts about him. Now you’ve got me thinking again about should I/shouldn’t I. I’m gonna do a couple pulls (current featured element is blue) and if I get a better hero cool, if not, I’m at least gonna start him. Scopes have been pretty hard to come by so at 3/70 I’ll be debating again but for now, that’s where I stand. Mainly because, for whatever reason, I get no blue heroes.

1 Like

Thorne is a tank. He needs a tank ability. We lack decent tanks in this game.

Leave his stats as they are, his special and damage as they are…
give him a blocking ability that blocks the next hit on him.

On defense the next tile or special you throw at him do zero damage.
On atk the next hit from defender do zero damage
On titans the same.

1 Like

Wow, being responsible for someone to evaluate ascending Thorne makes me a bit unconfortable :slight_smile:.
However I was not trolling, here’s my A3-70 Thorne (together with other A3-70 no one usually bothers spending ascension mats at all):

I was lucky enough to pull Isarnia and Magni so far, so I preferred to ascend them, however if I hadn’t pull them now I’d have 16 scopes, and I’m pretty sure 6 of them would have gone to Thorne by now.

For f2p and c2p players it is not that uncommon to have more mats than heroes on a specific color, for example now I have 9 darts and 29 orbs, and I’d raise any yellow I get now, I don’t think I would wait for Joon if I pulled Leonidas.
On the other hand, I assume that p2w players (just guessing based on other posts here on the forum or yt videos) may pull so many heroes on a single event, for example trying to pull guinevre or panther or hotms or whatever, that they get all the best tc20 heroes way before they have the mats to ascend them, and so they have from the beginning the opportunity to spend their mats on something more worthy. Their doubt is (always guessing) “should I ascend Lianna or wait for december hotm?” rather than “should I raise Kadilen or hope to pull something else somewhen in the future?”

So I’m not really impressed there are so many incomprehensions here on the forum, because there are so many different ways of playing, different resources availability (heroes, mats), different goals (winning raids, killing titans, winning events, aw), that sometimes it is hard to be in someone else’s shoes.

p.s. You can also notice that I ascended Elkanen before Lianna. Same story: pulled Elkanen very early in the game, collected tonics and got tired of waiting to pull something else while my team was stuck with 4* heroes. Now I’d prefer to have Lianna ascended, but if I hadn’t ascended Elkanen I would have been stuck in the game for a couple of months, probably I wouldn’t have completed Easter event and a couple of legendary challenges in the monthly events, I would have reached diamond league later, so worse raids chests, so I would have ascended heroes in other colors later for lack of mats, so harder to score well on titans, so even less mats, and so on in a domino of events that I think would have lead to my roster being worse by now

Ok, another post too long, sorry…

4 Likes

Fully agreed. Coming from me who was C2P in the beginning to P2P. :blush:

Dear developers, I ask you in any way to improve Thorne, a lot of people complain about this 5*.

His move is Icecold Finisher. His damage is weak due to his low attack stats. Maybe add a DoT to it in order to freeze his opponents to death perhaps. If not, his finisher more often than not can’t finish. :joy:

2 Likes

Lol, it’s not on you alcaselzer. I agree with your point though. I’ll probably bring him up to the same point and wait. I don’t have nearly that many scopes either (or I probably wouldn’t have questioned it) so until I do, or even 12, I think I should wait and see what’s around the bend. Btw, I got more junk from the few ice pulls I was able to do but still, considering ANY other 5* blue is better, I’ll keep waiting–unless they actually Do change him due to so many complaints but I’m not holding my breath for that.

1 Like

Ice cold finisher sounds like it should have a silence ability like peters!!!
It freezes your opponent for a few turns… this is also a defensive ability.

1 Like

@alcaselzer first off, thank you, second off you’re welcome. You made some great points but I think they’re misplaced on Thorne. I have to disagree with your basic point, Thorne is worth more than a random 3* like say, Greymare.

Relating to the economy of the game you argue that Thorne is really best suited for the FTPers, and whales complain about anything not shiny. As a FTP w/occasional iap’s the value of a 5* is a huge deal to me. How could anyone ever want him as a tank over Boril, a 4* with much higher draw chance. The few draws I get, I want to have something worth investing in. It’s a missed opportunity on the part of the devs since chasing that next Warm Cape drives many an iap and helps keep people around.

I would be livid if I pulled Thorne and might feed him to a spare Greymare out of sheer spite! He’s not worth investing in, and a couple of pulls like that could kill a players motivation easy, not convince them to invest more in the game. As it is, I like the depth of the game and the fact that it has near unlimited play through potential, but the whole point of 5*'s are to do cool things (pun intended). You can double down on their color when feeding and level their specials early. If that special sucks, well, it makes them a bad pull. Even a simple fast mana would correct this card in my book, but as he is, I pray I don’t get him.

TL:DR I politely disagree, Thorne REALLY sucks

Thorne is not suited for anyone, he sucks, I’m just saying that an F2P may be stuck with only that one blue 5* for years, and when you hit 12 scopes you might want even him as an addition to your roster.

I simply don’t use him as a tank, at 3-70 he can be used in AW even against 4000+ teams (I did in my last one and won the match thanks to his sinergy with Grimm, I would have likely lost if I had boril or a second grimm).

In the end, I agree with your points, he’s a bad pull, of course everyone would be happier with any other blue 5*, I would be happy if he was made fast or given a side effect (like magni or an ice DoT).
But still I think that luck is a big part of this game (there are good and bad boards, good and bad pulls, good and bad loots), and the sooner you accept this fact, the more you will enjoy the game. So I don’t think that a bad hero must necessarily be improved (Thorne is worse than the other 5*, but not unusable), if you pull him you’ve been unlucky, your bad. In that case you can decide whether to complain or try to make the best out of your bad luck, exactly as you try to work out a bad board or stock as an ant on items that, for the life of you, you can’t find in loots