🔹 Less tap, tap, tap. More play, play, play

They don’t want to fix it but they should.

SGG… plesse listen to user feedback and address thus UX issue before HEALTH PROBLEMS become an ISSUE! You may not have thought about hand arthritis but your user base is or will.

• I mean consider the egregiously annoying and PAINFUL design of alchemy lab… all that button clicking causes pain in my hand.

From Q&A with Game Designers - Spring 2021 Edition (Answers) - "Ask Me Anything" AMA transcript - #6 by Petri

• What are often asked for improvements that you simply can’t (not won’t) implement and what is the reason behind it?
    • TIM: Well one example is the possibility to collect all food and iron and so on with a single tap - that’s a thing that I’d never want to have in the game, with simply the reasoning that this extra bit of ‘daily work’ is really part of the game flow and ‘fiction’. The short time you spend collecting the resources is not that much, and makes you engage with your base that little bit more! Another, much trickier one, is hero trading between players. This one we could spend a long time discussing, but I think it’s enough to say that even very early in development we realized that this one will be off the table and basically not up for debate.

—-

Quick notes:
From a UX perspective I understand why they chose that… creating repeating patterns is about instilling addiction like qualities to the game. A daily ritual also cements usage into your daily life.

BUT…. I have warned them on this forum and will continue to do so that they need to account for physical issues from their UX choices.

• The rate of hand arthritis has been incareasing at onset is coming at earlier age due to mobile games and other repeat activities.

• Considering that issue and also many players on E+P are older in age… they would be wise to design better.

I wonder who will sue them later for disregarding the health and safety of their players by ignoring this one simple request LOL

What is gamer’s thumb?

Gamer’s thumb is one nickname given to a condition called de Quervain’s Tenosynovitis. De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis is a condition in which the tendons that move your thumb become inflamed.

Repetitive strain on your thumb tendons leads to inflammation which leads to pain and limited movement. Gaming is a common cause of repetitive strain on the thumb, so De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis is often called “gamer’s thumb.”

Gaming isn’t the only way that you can develop this condition. Think about how much you use your thumbs while using your smartphone. That said, gaming may put a harder strain on your thumbs for a longer duration.

How do you know if you have gamer’s thumb?

Symptoms of gamer’s thumb include:

• Thumb pain after playing video games
  • Pain and swelling near the base of the thumb
  • Wrist pain that may travel up the arm
  • Thumb and wrist pain that get worse with movement
  • A catching or popping sensation when moving the thumb.

The repetitive motion, combined with the poor posture that comes with constantly looking down at your phone or handheld device, puts too much stress on joints, tendons and muscles. This can easily result in injuries to not only the wrists, hands and arms, but also the neck and spine.

As more people of all ages are beginning to feel pain in their hands and wrists, the danger of self-diagnosing online increases. Instead of visiting a doctor, concerned individuals trust the Internet to explain the cause of their grief, which Ciaglia laments is an easy path to misdiagnosis and resulting long-term pain and suffering.

“I warn my patients about earning their medical degrees from Google or WebMD,” he said with a laugh. “While it’s good to research possible reasons for any pain you may have, at the end of the day the most important thing you can do for your health is to visit a doctor and get to the heart of what’s really going on.”

Ciaglia warns against self-diagnosis of any pain, but particularly in the hand and wrist. “Pain of course is our body’s way of letting us know something is wrong. The human hand has 27 bones in it, many of them small and more fragile than, say, your leg bones or ribs. When someone has pain in those other areas, they seek immediate relief; however, for some reason they let hand pain continue for a while before seeking out professional medical assistance.”

Wrist pain can be caused by other maladies such as pinched nerves, ligament injuries or degradation, or tendinitis.

“Increasingly, pinched nerves and arthritis aren’t age specific, but more lifestyle specific,” he said. Beyond the stereotypical sufferer such as a data entry clerk, he points out that other occupations and activities involving hairstylists, gamers, professional drivers and amateur athletes account for a high number of patients.

“Without proper treatment, your hand issue, even if it is only a minor problem, can escalate to an extreme. It’s vital you see a professional; over-the-counter treatments get over-the-counter results, which you can’t afford.”

6 Likes