Kara's defense boost not working as expected

If my math is correct, Kara’s +10% defense bonus +74% defence against specials bonus should reduce damage by roughly 58%. In reality, it seems to reduce damage by only 33%. Even if only the defense against specials applies, this should still be a reduction of 53% which is a far cry from what I’m actually seeing. If anyone can confirm, I’d appreciate it.

–edit to note that this information is (likely? Definitely?) Incorrect–

From what I understand, def against special skills works by subtracting that % from the % written in the special skill. So with +74% against special skill, a hit that normally does 400% damage now does 326% damage.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong

2 Likes

I hope it just increases def by 74% against special skills

I’m pretty sure that it works the same way elemental defense up does.

Like @Kenji69666 said.
If hero have 1000 def then with +74% buff against speciall skills will have 1740 def that works only against special skills.

3 Likes

That would make more sense. But I am sure I read here at some point that it works by subtracting. A quick search I found one person who suggested it might work like that, but I would swear in one of gryphon or rigs’ posts they talked about how counterintuitive it is, and that it works different than the assumption. Maybe I’ll look more tonight to see if I find what I am remembering

2 Likes

Subtraction doesn’t make sense with the numbers I’m seeing. It would yield a much greater amount of damage in most cases.

1 Like

After digging through most of the damage calculation thread, Damage Calculation - #534 by Argon, I think the simple answer to this is that my math was wrong. I had previously only read the first few posts in that thread and have been using the ADR^1.35 formula ever since.

But it turns out that this formula is only a good approximation up to an attack:defense ratio of 4.0 or so. I got suspicious when my Kara seemed to be taking unreasonably large amounts of damage from strikers. Since these typically do 400-500% damage and my Kara wasn’t fully leveled, this put the attack:defense ratio above 5, which is exactly the point where the exponential formula starts to strongly diverge from reality. I then ran some tests on the dark lord, where the attack:defense ratio is even more ridiculous.

Bottom line? This is likely working as intended, though it’s impossible to know for sure since Small Giant chooses to be opaque about their damage calculations. Another key take away is that bonuses to defense aren’t as good as you’d expect. They help a lot against attacks with a lower attack strength (where you don’t really need the bonus) but are much less helpful against attacks with a higher attack strength (which is where you really need the bonus).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.