Is Onatel a viable tank for top 100?

Please do update; I’m interested as I may soon(ish) have a similar decision to make. Are you using Onatel at all in your raid defense? If so, where and how is it going?

Flank her with nearby healing or manaspeed buffers winged by an additional healer and/or fast sniper/s and you’ll definitely go ‘cup up’…

1 Like

Yes! Onatel has been on my right wing in raid defense and i usually wake up every day with more cups than when i went to bed!
I also got into diamond by people trying to revenge me earlier today! I’ve been sitting pretty in upper plantinum for days trying to raid my way into diamond and i got there by just being raided back! It was awesome!

This has been my lineup. Although I’m trying her on the flank for war.

Decided to use Kiril, since my Magni is a bit squishy right now and it gives me some healing.
As soon as Onatel is maxed i plan on seeing what she does as a tank.
I bought the big deal they had and got my last tabard, so Panther is getting pulled up as soon as i store up enough hams. These guys are super expensive ham wise to level!

2 Likes

Guinevere isn’t even a viable tank for top 100… a better question is what tank will keep you above 2600 cups. I revenged 6 Guinevere tanks in a row and beat every one. Most top players will beat any defense with an average or better board.

3 Likes

I try and remember to do what I said I would do… So here is my update: Definitely used as a Tank when in the Top-100 or players pushing to stay on the LEADERBOARD, Then Flank (easily less that 1/2 of what I see in Tank probably less), Then Wing (rare but see it)…

The fact that these level of players are not only using her they have class leveled her -
@Olmor @IvyTheTerrible @Rigs @Kerridoc @Slickers111 @Ber @4nton @l2ider @General_Confusion

Granted anyone can beat anyone with the right boards and/or bullying up with her weak element… What you DO NOT DO is when your equally matched try and go toe to toe with ONATEL. Hit anywhere but straight on, wait till you have specials ready (which duh I guess is good advice for any Tank depends whose holding the other spots). Delilah and Vivica I’ll hit head on ALL day if someone puts them in Tank (as I think Ber mentioned)… and some people do place them there… Delilah Cumulatively still holds a High record TANK position from the past…

2 Likes

All tanks/defense are not viable in top 100. They are all beaten down so fast they will not last there for an hour.
I lost 400 cups in a span of 20 minutes when I went to top global 22 once. I can even retain more cups overnight if I don’t go that high.

Answering OP question, Onatel is not that great of a tank. I put yellow tank Guin, Dellilah, Vivica, Drake ahead of her. How devastating could it be if Onatel fired once? Not much compared to the above yellow I have mentioned.

2 Likes

100% agree. Once you reach a certain rank you become a big target. I have been in the top 100 a bunch of times (24 the highest). Then I lose 150+ the next time I am back.

Defense is only to try and hold cups, it will never keep your there. Your offense is what will put you there for a few minutes.

Onatel is my tank and has worked well. But per the above it doesn’t matter who your tank is.

1 Like

Another thing about Onatel is that she can’t steal mana once she is dead. This made her not such a good tank since tank usually die fast.

1 Like

I realise I’m not quite at the top 100 def standard, still building, but this is my def team

Now I always felt that to stay in diamond I’d need 3 minimum maxed 5*… Well I was very wrong since adding onatel and misandra into my team I rarely drop below 2500 cups. I’m extremely happy with my onatel tank and on offence hot dam that girls a killer!
My only debate is I’ve chosen the attack/shield route for her because her starting hp is solid anyway and feel the best gains are boosting her tiledamage and her special. Is this what other ppl think or should I of gone all out hp/shield and made her granite?
Side note is buddy worth emblems? Or should Mr tibs get them?

2 Likes

That’s because facing her as tank often causes a reroll. Same thing with Guin. If they cast once, the fight could be already lost. Since Onatel selects randomly, Guin will be better.

Imho a tank should reduce mana, heal or buff. If possible all of it. A pure hitter isn’t that good in tank position. Hitters should flank and then hopefully will be buffed. Third well working tanks are DoTs and/or all attacking buffers, if their spell will last after death to support the second wave.

In fact there’s no unbeatable defense. The flanks are the real tanks, since the tank itself will mostly die after or even before the first cast.

1 Like

The question wasn’t is Onatel the BEST tank for Top-100… it was “a viable tank” and yes, obviously or I wouldn’t have gone against these teams. As well I’ve said OVER and OVER that I have friends that could be better or worse or played less or longer, I really don’t know.

As long as I’ve been playing now (longer than some, less than others)… EVERY HERO has a purpose and synergy with other Heros… or simply a Niche. We all want the stars that have the most flexibility and success across positions etc… I would find it hard to believe that the players using them in the Top-100 tonight/today as well all the other times I see her there looking at their Troop levels and Player Level that they are using her only because they have no other choice…

Anyway guys, just saying. What is easy for me may be hard for you and what is easy for you may be hard for me… and whether you like it or not she is being used in the Top-100. Therefore she is viable.

5 Likes

I haven’ Even quite finished my Onatel, let alone given her emblems. But thanks for the research.

3 Likes

Your tank is as good as the heros you surround them with. None of them are any good without a supporting cast.

Think of it like this. If Michael Jordan had to play defense against 5 players how would that work out?

4 Likes

I allow myself to disagree with that statement. The value of a Gin tank, for example, is more psychological than real, it is more what you are not attacked than its operation. With the current mathematics, if the attack occurred with a good team, 2,2,1, for example, Gin or Onatel would have great value, but most attacks you receive 4/1 or mono, with several of 4 * , some even without ascending, looking for stacked tile damage. At that juncture, a bad initial board, makes the best tank is the most penalized and that is the one that does more damage. A bad initial board, for a team with 4 *, that shoots Gin or Onatel is reversible, instead a Gravemaker, for example, shooting you destroys the team of 4 * irreversibly. The best tank is the one that hurts the most and the fastest.

4 Likes

Gravey isn’t as hard for me to stand as the mana cntrollers or other DoTs. Imho he hits relatively soft and his DoT only lasts 3 turns. Azlar and even Colen seems to be the deadlier threat for me. I don’t need a cleanser for Graveys, but facing Azlar or Colen without cleanse mostly ends up in a desaster, if they’ll cast. Advantage Gravey, since he’ll nearly never dies before his cast.

Two Graveys = reroll :rofl:

I never play mono, only 3-2 or sometimes 4-1. Mono is pure gambling.

2 Likes

I have her at 3/70, and doing the future debate in my head for when darts 5 and 6 show up: Onatel or Joon 2? I am leaning towards her for the sake of variance, but I don’t think she gives me any trouble at all on defense- and purple is my weakness. I have Guin, so I am more interested in her offensive capabilities. Haven’t used her much, so my knowledge is limited. Is she a decent offensive threat?

Onatel requires a bit of strategy and planning, so I’d highly advice to start using her and by the time she’s maxed, your be on top of how best to use her

That being said she is an absolute beast in offence in a holy stack and use her with another mana controller and once their both up and running, the board colour tile wise doesn’t matter every 2 to 3 turns shes ready to fire again…

3 Likes

Visit the ranking and look out for her. Almost every third has her in center position on defense. She’s #1.

But she’s also a great attacker, since she cuts mana from all and heals nearby. Def against dark will make her sustain after her cast. If she wasn’t killed before she goes off, you’d better run. :wink:

1 Like

Onatel has the elemental healing link, not the dark defense link. She’s the last of the healers, Kunchen the first of the color buff.

2 Likes

Yes, but he asked for Guin.