Is it time to re-think Damage Over Turn skills?

Hey there Avi! Happy birthday man! (this is Rancid P. by the way :wink:)

Love the discussion.

Well, I have Sartana, Marjana and Azlar (Lianna too!). I have Azlar and Sartana on my raid defense as they compliment each other nicely…good mix of fast mana single hitters and slow but devastating area of effect monsters like Azlar.

To me that is the rub. Mana speed. Yes, Azlar hits everyone but his slow mana is the drag on his effect. Sartana, as a fast mana dealer, will fire off at least twice (or perhaps 3 times if you’re lucky) before Azlar hits. So in effect, her area of damage is larger by firing at 2 to 3 targets before Az erupts.

I also use Wu a lot in raid offense and I know it goes against “Wu orthodoxy” but firing Sartana with Wu active does allow her to single shot the enemy. I use Magni and Marjana similarly.

What am I saying? Frankly I forget…in a food coma now. Lol. I guess I like the strategy involved with DoT heroes. I often pick opponents who can’t cleanse so her damage will do its full job. Plus I like watching the life drain out of the opponent! Muuuaahaha. Azlar makes a crappy tank on defense…easy to knock out before his special fires. He is far more problematic in the flank position.

Bottom line, I think things are for the most part properly balanced with these skill sets. Cool topic!

3 Likes

I like the idea of burn tics starting stronger and fading away. Poison ramping up also makes sense. But that kind of defeats the purpose as poison will probably never reach max. Poison also usually has some kind of debilitating effect. Maybe an attack debuff? 20%? Maybe a low mana gain penalty? Heck, get creative, if they die with the poison dot on them, Alby can’t bring them back!

2 Likes

First
It would be cool if Leggylass came in a rainbow of colors, not just green.

Second
Make DOT 1 turn would make it better for the hero’s owner.

Third
This comes back to the question- Why cannot all heroes be good?

Answer- most heroes are based on Boss mechanics and few people want Vampire Lords ( Sartanna) with 1 turn DOT or Dragons ( Azlar ) with very fast mana.

Most HotM have fast mana speed, because fast mana speed is king. But Gravedigger ( very fast mana with 2 turn DOT ) is a HotM that you can skip in raid/ war by not attacking. You will have to fight Lady Locke every 3 months ( current schedule ) or 5 months ( future schedule ) if you want the Challenge event rewards.

Some heroes are good, some suck, most are in between. Same with the bosses they are based on.

3 Likes

@Avicious

I like the idea of Marjana and Sartana giving an incureable DoT on the target and the number of turns should be shortened to 4 turns with the last turn as a sure kill to the burned or poisoned hero.

2 Likes

I really don’t think either Marjana or Sartana need to be more effective than they are right now and changing their DoT damage to be stronger would just make great and desirable heroes even better, while there’s a whole group of heroes that are treading the useability line.

I have yet to find someone rolling Marjana or Sartana and going “meh, that DoT is too weak, I’d rather have rolled XYZ”.

As Elpis pointed out, DoT damage is not affected by defense stat, that on its own makes their damage - if it ticks fully - really high.

The base damage of their skills is also significant. NOT COUNTING the DoT damage, both of their specials hit harder than Domitia, Leonidas, and Perseus. Then the DoT burns down to bring their damage total either close to Lianna or above hers.

On top of that, Marjana is often utilized as a tank, because she is pretty hard to kill while also a fast dealer of big damage.

So yeah, no, I really don’t think their DoTs need any help or refurbishing.

I believe Marjana is THE tankiest of all single-target hitting 5* heroes. The only heroes that are tankier than her, stats-wise, are the monster tanks: Owl, Thorne, Ares, Justice, Horghall and Guin. Sartana is similar to Arthur and Natalya in tankiness, leaving the other single-target hitters behind as well.

If there’s one thing these two heroes aren’t good at it’s tile damage. And that’s a good thing, at least they have a weakness.

4 Likes