Is it a viable option now? DoT defense

Ever since Roc was announced I’ve been thinking of trying it out. We now have reasonably good DoT heroes in every colour (well Yunan wouldn’t stack with Roc so it would fall on that). So I was thinking - could it be a viable defence in the current meta?

I imagine a setup like Roc/GM/Heimdall/Vela/Clarissa. I choose Heimdall over Tell as his heal is better but I guess they are interchangeable (and I also have Heimdall but not Tell, hehe). Speed is IMO okay, even though not perfect. The team would also discourage all attacking colours but purple. Sadly, it would however mean 2 barbarians and 2 paladins which would make embleming the heroes a frustrating process.

Here is my thought:
Most people emblem def over health but as dots are not effected by def they still do max damage. Further, all those dots would overwhelm a single cleanser on the attacking team. That would add to the enemy team ticking down in an increasingly fast rate, killing them over a few rounds.

The drawback of all this is of course that there is no hard hitter/sniper in the team making it easier to overcome the dots with heals. I just think that the amount of dots could be overwhelming.

What do you guys think? Would it work?

I think the defense would do fine just because the heroes are really strong, but I think it would be a suboptimal arrangement and the synergy wouldn’t turn out like what you’re hoping.

Attacker could bring multiple cleansers, multiple grazuls, Malosi, lots of options.

The problem I see is that I’d expect to keep all 5 heroes alive for as long as I can keep cleansing/protecting. I don’t see one hero there that can actually kill without DoT.

Also Heimdall’s attack buff doesn’t increase DoT, so he’s just making the weak direct damage of others just a little less weak.

It’s just easier to deal with defenses where you only need to worry about one thing. When I face GTV teams that have like Seshat and Joon in the back, I have a lot of tough decisions. Do I fire Grazul now when she might be dispelled by Seshat? Can I afford to wait to cleanse with Rigard when Joon might snipe him? It’s never comfortable.

1 Like

I am presently running this defense as a test:
Lady Locke - Vela - Clarissa - Grave - Roc

The only conflict is that Roc has 2 Barbarian emblems while Grave has 20. I dropped him on the wing so he’d be harder to target. Clarissa, Vela, Lady Locke will be +20 as soon as I save up the resources. Have all the emblems.

I like this setup because it’s all DOT, all the time and with 2 cleansers on the team, I’m less vulnerable to DOT. if it fails miserably, then I’ll go back to my original defense which put me at 2650 trophies regularly (Clarissa, Grave, Yunan, Vela, Drake)

1 Like

I run a similar setup of Kage, JF, Telly, Vela, and Rana. It does well in wars, despite some sub-optimal things like Kage on one wing and an average speed hero in the other. In a perfect world it would be nice to have Clarissa in Kage’s spot, but I think having the team maximize their emblems is more important than having a theoretically better fit in the wing spot.

As much as I enjoy having a lot of DOT for the enemy to deal with, on top of Telly’s mana slow, I ended up with this setup by circumstance and not design. I wouldn’t hesitate to dump Rana for a costume Joon or White Rabbit

1 Like

I’m trying the DOT because with 2 vFast and 1 fast DOT, it should annoy the hell out of my opponent.

If I really cared about effectiveness, I would stick with my old lineup. But I am changing things up for fun. I’ll report back in a week on its effectiveness. I want Roc over Yunan, due to the conflict in having 2 greens (Yunan/Lady Locke) and the sand damage (Roc/Yunan).

My next experiment is to drop Yunan BACK in at tank, replace Lady Locke and see if there is a difference.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

I do agree with you on most points. Having a mix is probably the best options. And it’s probably not the optimal setup for many, but maybe something that could catch a lot of players off guard.

The problem with bringing many cleansers is, from where should your own damage come? A lot of people do not have that many 5* cleansers. 5* dmg dealer cleansers like Malosi and C. Domitia are even more rare. Although C. Sonya and C. Caedmon are here now, they don’t hit too hard.

And I also agree that the Heimdall attack buff might be largely wasted, but GM/Vela/Clarissa all have at least a little bit of initial dmg. Second, there needs to be a healer and not many healers (especially not green) works as tanks. So for that setup, it would be him or Tell I guess.

I’m also far away from actually being able to try this out. I have GM/Heimdall/Vela maxed but I already lack emblems for those. And Roc/Clarissa are both at 1/1. Eventually embleming them will take a while…

Please do that! Would be cool to know how it fares.

So far, this defense has caused me to settle at a lower cup-rate (~2500 rather than ~2650) But we shall see. Friday I will post my results.

2 Likes

I’m thinking on this:

Fernir-Lady Locke- JF - Rana - Clarissa

I’m interested in your thoughts .

Would be interesting to see. However, do you have another option to replace Fenrir? He’s not super on defense.

Not that this really matters practically speaking except for ego and @Razor’s challenges :rofl:

Maybe we need an overhaul of the raid tiers and rewards to give raids a new boost

2 Likes

I hace Ariel, Richard and Rumple…but with Locke I have the cleaning…with Rumple we would share emblems of sorcerer and with Richard and Clarisa the same.

1 Like

Ok, try it out! I think Rumple would be better, but as you aay. - conflict of emblems

1 Like