Irrelevancy

Nope, this is my first one.

And I have to say that… I hate it! Absolutely truly hate it! :laughing:

Not the game itself, the game itself is fun.

Why did they have to make it a loot box? Why??? :cry:

Game devs be like: “we gots to make that moneyz”

There are other ways!!! For the love of all that is holy… this is not the only way to make money!!!

Devs: “Maybe not, but this is EZ way to make lots of money quick.”

Okay. True. Can’t argue with that.

:man_shrugging:

Also can’t ever possibly hope to keep up with that.

2 Likes

Yeah I get that. Loot boxes are indefensible

2 Likes

They made a ton of money with that method, and I don’t expect it to change. But… thinking long term here, they might end up losing customers if they don’t adjust things later? I know how business works. As long as people keep giving them $$$, there is no reason to change anything. They are mainly acting reactively rather than proactively. Not looking for long term sustainability, their only focus is trying to patch the holes in the walls as they spring up.

Hence why I am irrelevant. I’m the guy sitting in the basement office trying to contact the guys upstairs to tell them “guys? we have a problem down here…” as water steadily floods in.

Upstairs office: “what? water? no, the water’s fine up here. I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over that flushing sound, whatever that is.”

To expand on that metaphor: posters like me will have drowned long before they realize the ship may be sinking.

I would say that. There is an overcast of gloom and doom for everything these days. Not just the game.

And an elevated polarization of ideas and emotions

And would contend that…
we’re all struggling to find enjoyment

Which…
Makes your content more relevant than ever!

2 Likes

When I say doom and gloom.

I’m getting annoyed by the power creep in the game, and the fact that I’m not able to keep up with it. The 1-3% chance to pull heroes combined with my limited availability of excess funds that I’m willing to light on fire / flush down the toilet means that I have next to nil chance of ever pulling them myself.

The game yet progresses forward as it always has, the spenders spending to try to keep up, and the forum posts nearly always referencing the new META of which I cannot personally afford to keep up with.

Then you have the crowd of Original Gangstas… those who joined the game 3 years ago and worked their way up to top tiers, and got used to their time at the top. Only to end up getting knocked down by a bunch of rookies who spent heavily for TellyVela combos, new OP heroes? Power creep suddenly making the OG players irrelevant? Not cool, the OGs said. And many of them left.

Then you have the crowd of early adopters who spent heavily to buy their TellyVelas. SG saw how OP the TellyVelas were, and how it upset the OGs. So they nerfed the TVs to try to appease the original crowd. But it was too little, too late. By that time, the OGs were already mad and had closed tight their wallets.

And now, in neutering the TellyVelas, they also managed to upset the new spenders who actually came in under the mistaken belief that you could simply buy your way to the top in 6 months. Secret: you can buy your way to the top in 6 months if you’re willing to spend enough. But second secret: don’t get used to it, you probably won’t stay there long.

So what are we looking at now. A game that was supposed to cater to spenders, that has alienated their original big spenders, then went on to further alienate their newer big spenders, and done absolutely nothing at all to help non spenders or low spenders.

At least that’s the way I see it.

3 Likes

Ok…

[The Pandemic Special]

I hope calling you friend was not to forward

1 Like

Not too forward at all. I hope you don’t take my complainy-ness too seriously? I have to vent here when bad :poop: happens in the game. So that I don’t end up throwing out the game completely.

I iz trying so very hard to not git frustrated
Game iz trying so very hard to make me frustrated

That is my newest challenge. Seeing how much :poop: I’m able to absorb before officially calling it quits.

Now I can take a lot of :poop:… but… my cart is starting to get full…

3 Likes

That’s the rub, isn’t it? For something that we all refer to as a game, how irritating it is. A lot of posts across many threads now all seem to carry the same sentiment…“lower your expectations and the game will be super fun again!”

I struggle a little bit with that, to be honest. If I play a game with zero expectations, what is the point of it in the first place? If I have little or no expectations of actually progressing, then…umm? It would be the most irrelevant product ever released to market if nobody expected to be able to achieve anything.

A player base forever stuck at lvl12 with nothing but 3* cards. At least I suppose wars would be an even match for once…

3 Likes

It is very frustrating. Trying to draw the line…

I am not so good with words. Well, I think I am, but other people don’t always read my wurds so gud… eazier maybe for all of us if I use pictures… so here iz my pictures…

I am trying to find where I fit in here? I keep throwing darts and I keep accidentally hitting the bartender instead. He’s getting irritated and he’s about to cut me off.

What do?

2 Likes

That diagram probably isn’t far off the truth. I admire players that can spend money or a mountain of hoarded gems on a futile summons and not get bent out of shape by it.

“Oh look! Friar Fatty and the lovely Dawa…again! Hahaha…I’m having so much fun!!”

Unsurprisingly, I never managed to keep quite so cool about it. Lol

3 Likes

As for summons… I went from doing them and hoping for something good, only to get pissed off after pulling my 100th Dawa or Prisca… to where I am at now, where I fully expect to only ever pull Dawas and Priscas.

Season 3 has been throwing me off a bit by giving me weird 3* heroes whose names I cannot pronounce and will probably never actually use.

These days I have put all of my hopes and prayers into TC20s. They have rewarded me richly, much more richly than gem summons ever have.

And should the day come that they completely run dry, I shall have all of the workers there summarily executed. I shall tap to wave at each villager before tossing them into the pit, one by one.

3 Likes

A reasonable reaction to the crap cards…

Then you should be happy as a clam when you get them, according to the “new think” of low expectations being a good thing.

Still not sure I agree with it though. In fact, I’m positive I don’t agree with it.

2 Likes

I still think the original system is dumb as hell. But as I’ve decided not to give them any more money, I expect to never get anything good from their summon port holes ever again. So be it.

Low expectations are not a good thing. But it is the only way to play this game without either going broke or completely losing one’s sanity.

Once upon a time, I had this absolutely crazy idea that maybe they could change their game model to one that might actually reward people with something useful after spending a few dollars, instead of the system where you’re expected to spend hundreds.

Crazy me… I thought… this is a game with a lot of players. A small percentile of which are big spenders, and that is mostly how they pay their bills. But what if… the game actually catered more towards smaller spenders? Even if they were only able to encourage half of the free players to give $1 a month… that could add up quickly, yes? Considering how many free players there are?

Now, of course, it wouldn’t be the $100,000,000 a year income that they’re used to bringing in. But… if you gave me a choice between “maybe” earning a million dollars or maybe earning nothing at all, to a virtually guaranteed steady source of income that could keep rolling in year after year? I’ll go with the second option every time.

But that’s just me.

Apparently SG would rather ignore people like me who might be willing to give them a few dollars here and there, because who cares about that nonsense when you can trick some other guy into giving you a thousand dollars?

Hence, once again, the point of this thread.

“Irrelevancy.”

I’m not giving them a thousand dollars, and they know it.
Therefore, they don’t care what I have to say.
Neither does anyone else.

Irrelevancy.

Not sure about the “neither does anyone else” part, but I’d wholeheartedly agree that SG cares little or not at all. The cash register is bulging so why should they? That’s not to say that they SHOULDN’T care, but just more likely that they don’t. And possibly never did.

I dunno, I’m not privy to their thoughts. For all I know, they may want to open the floodgates of the summon portals and AM drops, but the nasty Zynga folk have them in their grasp! Lol.

1 Like

The problem is that… like everything else they do… by the time they do it… it will probably be too late.

I’m sure I don’t need to post examples for you to know what I mean.

Far too reactive… not enough proactive.

But anyway. Not my company, not my business how they run it. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

May I note…that 4000 cups is pretty much impossible to achieve so it makes it difficult to apply to certain alliances for quick 1-2 week alliance tryst…

sincerely the certain pantless ghostly wonder who tried to visit someone’s alliance out of friendship

3 Likes

I like to think of my place as “just another person”, as opposed to irrelevancy.

To be “someone special” in this game, you either needed to start playing a long time ago or spend money often or both. I recognized that my relatively low spending could not impact my in-game standing. So, no more money, no more playing marathons, just plug along. Find enjoyment where I can from playing a phone-app game that will never end up on my resume, nor be part of a conversation with friends/loved ones.

2 Likes

That’s exactly why I put up the requirement in the first place, because when it was a 0 cup requirement, I was getting requests nearly every day and I felt bad rejecting them.

My alliance says “invite only” for a reason… you need to be invited to be allowed in.

We only unlock the doors when we’re expecting guests. You need only tag me if you want a reservation. :wink:

I’m certainly not looking to be “someone special” in the game… I already know who the special ones are. I’ve heard of most of the top players, top alliances. I’m not one of them, never will be.

Just another person? Yes, that is exactly what I am in this game. But once upon a time that counted for something on this forum. I could give the “average Joe’s” point of view and regardless of whether people liked or agreed with it or not, it was at least relevant to the conversation.

By conversation, I mean the forum conversation. That is where I am starting to lack relevancy. Which means that if I want to communicate with anyone outside of my small social circle, I will need to stop socially distancing and go out and catch Coronavirus so that I can talk about all the other exciting things going on in the world…

Oops, wait, nothing good going on out there either.

:neutral_face:

As long time Civilisation player I do enjoy the monotonous grind. I like building it all up and then one day I said “I’ll throw some money at it” almost like a tips jar kinda approach.

And I’ve spent more than some but nowhere near the top and I’ve been super lucky. I’ve never done a 30 pull, never used any of the secret methods and I’ve picked up more than my fair share of heroes.

I look to my F2P mate who bemoans my “bought” roster but his is actually pretty decent too. He’s got enough to play the level he wants to.

And that’s the point I think. If you aren’t an Uber try hard then why does anything really matter other than enjoying that game? It’s not nearly perfect but it’s still scratching the itches it did at the start.

And the alliance factor elevates this above a lot of other games. You get a good alliance it’s brilliant. You can share the highs and the lows that this brings. And man does it…

But to somewhat bring this on-topic you are a relevant as you want to be. Do we always agree which each other’s opinions? Probably not. Do I read your opinions and consider what you’ve written? Yes I do. Does it change my mind or view? Perhaps surprisingly it sometimes does.

That keeps you relevant. Whether that opinion matches everyone else’s isn’t the point. I don’t think “Popular opinion” makes someone more relevant than the next.

But that’s just my 2p worth :joy:

1 Like

I did spend some money on this game, early on, before I knew how these games worked. I thought that if I spent a few dollars, I would get some nice heroes to start out with. Wasn’t expecting to get the best heroes right out of the gate, but I thought, “hey if I play long enough, I can eventually earn those heroes. Right?”

“… right?”

Turns out no.

You either get lucky, or you spend until you get lucky.

Orrr… you just level up your TC20 and do the best you can with season one heroes. :laughing:

That is where I’m at. Did I get a few lucky pulls for fancy heroes along the way? Yes, here and there. Oddly enough, I spent money, and there are many players in this game who spent nothing and still have better heroes than I do.

RNG gonna RNG rite?

So I’m here. Playing the game with whatever heroes the game feels generous enough to “allow” me to have. And they’re good enough to get me through the majority of basic stuff. But not good enough to get me up to certain levels. I can’t keep my raid defense team up in diamond for more than a day at most. Usually I get knocked back to platinum within 10 minutes of logging off. :confused:

Which are all things I’ve come to accept. People who play harder, pay harder, try harder, are all going to occupy those top spots and I’ll never come anywhere close to besting them. Okay, okay. That’s cool, whatevs. :man_shrugging:

But where is the forum community for those of us who are just “sorta good” at the game?

There are lots of topics discussing the fancy new shiny heroes. I don’t have them.
There are lots of topics discussing which of the new shinies are the shiniest. Hell if I know, I don’t have any of them.
Lots of topics discussing how to git guder, in which most replies suggest using heroes that. Yep. You guessed it. I don’t have.

Are there lower and mid level players posting here? Yes. Mostly the posts that say this is the first time Eddard12345 has posted here, let’s welcome them to the community! and Eddard12345 says something along the lines of “this is ridiculous, I keep getting my ■■■ kicked every time I try to do anything” and the community tells them “git guderer”

And I don’t even know what to say or if it’s even worth it for me to say anything at all…

1 Like