• new member: vote limit: 2
  • basic user: vote limit: 10
  • member: vote limit: 20
  • regular: vote limit: 30
  • leader: vote limit 40

Trust levels are described here: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

Moderator’s Note
edits below from @zephyr1

Threads in this category are automatically closed after one month following the last comment, returning your votes.

Threads in this category remain open until implemented, or the OP requests closing the thread.

If you wish to remove a vote from an existing thread to use it elsewhere, tap on VOTED and then REMOVE.

Great news!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks!

3 Likes

I thought I’d noticed I had some extra votes available. Cool.

2 Likes

More votes!
:clap::clinking_glasses::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::clinking_glasses::clap:

Kill the deadwood!

:clap::clinking_glasses::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::clinking_glasses::clap:

2 Likes

Excellent!!! More votes! :+1::grin::clap::champagne::smile_cat:

Thank you @Petri!

2 Likes

Thank you @Petri, and @Kerridoc.
No more agonizing over not having any more votes.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I have a question, to higher votes ideas ever get implemented?
I would like it if they werent to get re addressed. For example the top 3 voted on subjects in a certain period of time had the chance for a re vote between only those subjects making it possible for the change to happen.
Or is voting basically a way for EP to gauge the interests of the players and to make the changes accordingly? Just curious about what our votes count towards. Thank you again!

I’m just a player/moderator, with only slightly more insight tomthe creative process at SGG than any other player. My guess, based on the fact that Petri bothered to increase the cotes at all, is that they consider votes in some fashion.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, that answered my question. I wasnt sure if I had missed something between the votes to in game changes.

1 Like

Is this still accurate? Especially the last sentence.

I thought I was a regular but only have 20 votes so I guess I lost that, but 13 of my 20 are on threads that haven’t had a comment in over month yet remain open, with those votes still tied up - some haven’t had a comment in 6 months or more. I’ve had two votes returned for closed threads, only one was after 30 days without a comment (the other closed by a moderator).

What is the current state of the voting system?
Is the auto-close function still in use to return old votes?

1 Like

Bumping this in case someone might know if we’re going to get votes returned or not. Examples are easy to find, but here’s a few from my own list of old votes, none of these have had a comment in 6 months or more yet remain open with the votes locked up - one was even merged with another topic but is still open.

@moderators - are you able to tell if auto-closing is working as intended or if there’s a new method at play? (apologies is this isn’t worthy of tagging you :wink:)

Can @moderators please tell us if we will get old votes back?

The uniform silence on this is worrisome.

It feels weird that I can’t even get a response from a moderator, after two & half weeks and tagging them twice. Is something actually not working as advertised and nobody wants to admit it?

What’s up?

Not trying to be a jerk but would really like to know if I’ll be able to participate in the “Ideas & Feature Requests” category ever again. We were told it works a certain way, and it’s not working that way, can you clarify?

Third time’s a charm :wink: (please) @moderators

The @Guvnor or @zephyr1 @JonahTheBard @DaveCozy @littleKAF
May work :family::beer::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

We don’t get notified when you tag @moderators. That only notifies us when a fellow moderator uses it.

I actually coincidentally requested that be changed earlier today, as there’s a Discourse setting for it.

I’m not sure if I understand your question, but here’s the deal:

Votes stay on topics so long as those topics remain open.

Auto-closing is only enabled in Bugs & Issues and Alliance Recruitment, not Ideas & Feature Requests, so that doesn’t really apply to suggestion threads with voting.

EDIT: I see you’re asking because of Kerridoc’s old statement. That’s not accurate, though it was discussed as an idea to change that at the time — but it was never implemented.

So the question I think you’re really asking is how to get your votes back, and the answer is to remove them from old ideas you no longer want to support.

Useful info:

How to remove a vote:

7 Likes

Thank you so much Zephyr. I’m talking about votes for individual Ideas & Feature Request threads, at the top left where we can vote for the idea, like this thread (not polls).

The original information above says threads will auto -close after 30 days of inactivity and we will get the votes back to reuse when that happens. But it doesn’t seem to be happening, see the threads I linked above - up to 6 months of inactivity and not auto-closed.

With a cap on our total available votes, and no votes returned, the only thing I can do is un-do my previous votes if I want to support a newly posted suggestion.

1 Like

Yeah, that wasn’t true.

It was discussed as an idea, but not implemented.

You do get votes returned when threads are closed after implementation, though.

Yes, and that’s the intended design of the Voting plugin for Discourse.

You can support a fixed number of things at a time, basically. If you want to support something new, you have to stop supporting something old.

You can see your current votes in your profile, as you may know: Profile - Disposable - Empires & Puzzles Community Forum

So you don’t have to remember what you’ve voted for to find/remove them.

Not ideal, perhaps, but that’s how it works.

3 Likes

I see your edit now, the system Kerridoc outlined would be nice tbh.

Thanks for the clarification, I do appreciate it.

Yeah not ideal but it is what it is. So are “Ideas & Feature Requests” posts supposed to auto-close? It sounds like it here:

Not to get too esoteric, it’s just buzzing in my mind now lol.

If we have to go back and undo votes to reuse them, it might make the vote counts on those old threads more reliable if they were closed & collected before we had to go take votes back at some point.

(or maybe I’m just over-emphasizing how seriously “Ideas” posts are taken, idk (no snark intended))

Thanks again :+1:

2 Likes

No, we discussed it a long time ago, and decided it didn’t make sense, since the time between initial request/suggestion and implementation is often long, and the Small Giant Staff routinely cull through the open threads looking for ideas, often thematically (e.g. they’ll pull all the quality of life ones, or all the ones for new pins, or all the ones for new languages, or all the ones for Hero rebalancing, etc.)

So leaving them open for discussion and voting seemed more prudent, given the actual usage by SG.

SG definitely makes a lot of use of these threads, though I don’t know how much they weigh the number of votes vs. their interest in the idea, or even just the discussion itself.

But suffice it to say, votes alone aren’t the only or main factor — otherwise we’d have trading (728 votes), practice battles between alliance mates (661 votes), Sif’s robe changed to red & white (284 votes), an “undo” for Hero ascension (271 votes), and alliance leadership control over War opt-ins (251 votes), at the least. Those are the 5 threads with the highest votes currently.

5 Likes