Increase Obakan's Counter Attack or Make Other Buffs — Share Your Ideas & Discuss

I really like the idea of a very fast mana classic hero, and I think making this change to Obakan could be a great solution to his currently underwhelming kit :grin:

Your other suggestion is also great :grin:

@Rduke77 - I would love to have a discussion regarding your opinion on the matter! :grinning:

From my perspective, I really think he is the worst 5 star to spend materials on, granted that there are few that are in the same neighborhood, though I still think he is the worst even amongst those. Many 5 stars were previoualy put in the same basket, but were subsequently buffed - Boss Wolf, Elena, Khagan, Elkenen, Kadilen, Thorne come to mind. He is the only one left, and from most, if not all, people that I’ve asked, I hear that he is just a waste of materials, unless you are strictly F2P and he is the only choice you have, and that is only due to the fact that he is a somewhat marginal improvement over most 4 stars due to stats, and there is only one classic purple 4 star damage dealer (Tiburtus, with the other purples being Cyprian, Rigard and Sabina)

To the extent that all heroes can’t be great, I really disagree with your statement that he is actually decent. His special special skill doesn’t have any particular niche that it can be actually useful within, or at least I can’t think of one.

Also, you said there are worse heroes than him, but again I fail to see any such heroes. Maybe, and that’s a huge maybe, Boss Wolf? And you have to appreciate that this is the case only because Boss Wolf has a pretty complex design which is hard to balance - to the best of my knowledge he was nerfed hard from beta to live by reducing his mana speed from Slow to Very Slow, as he was otherwise overwhelming to deal with. Other examples may include the one of 3 rng specials, but those have in my opinion very special place in the game and are very useful but situational. Could you give your examples of 5 star heroes that you consider actually worse than him?

In my eyes, Obakan has pretry mediocre stats and a special skill that doesn’t have a single niche where it can be used to achieve any meaningful and consistent results. He has only one positive trait - being a fast mana hero - but ultimately this trait is only theoretically positive, and becomes void in practice due to above stated facts. He is a variation on the good (mana speed),the bad (mediocre stats) and the ugly (bad special skill), in the most negative sense. I just really can’t see by what means and in which situations you see him, even remotely, as a decent 5 star hero.

As a final remark, I’d like you to think about the fact that he is a classic 5 star hero (tc20), and even if he is better than some other non classic heroes, and while previously he shared his status with some other 5 stars of the classic pack, currently he is the worst of its breed, and by no means a treat to any F2P player.

I’m all up to hear some counter arguments that could change my stance, so please do share your views :grinning:

Well, it would make him an upgraded version of Cyprian and Boril in that regard, but he would be the only one to implement damage to the skill and will be on fast mana and on a 5 star, which is quite unique and neat, rather rhan boring imo.

The substantial amount of riposte % sounds an interesting concept, though not sure to what actual benefit will lead in practice, but it’s a nice idea nonetheless.

1 Like

No problem, and I had read your whole original post, as well as the entirety of each of the replies, before merging too.

Merges are typically made with a fair bit of care and consideration.

It actually wasn’t clear from your original post that you were intending to hold a debate in particular, as opposed to making a suggestion, since neither your thread title nor your post asked for opinions.

You stated Obakan needs a buff, is the most underwhelming 5 star in the game, and suggested a specific buff.

If you’d used a thread title like, Should Obakan be Buffed? or Suggestions for Buffing Obakan – Share Your Thoughts or even just said in your post that you were looking for opinions and discussions, that intention would have been clearer.

You’ve done well making that intention clearer in subsequent follow-ups and engagement with commenters.

You also made some observations about this thread’s original message and title, which I’ve addressed with a rename of the thread to Increase Obakan’s Counter Attack or Make Other Buffs — Share Your Ideas & Discuss.

The Ideas & Feature Requests is specifically for discussion of ideas, and it has the added benefit of supporting voting, and a longer lifespan for threads. It also has the precedence of hosting several threads specifically for debating whether a particular hero should be buffed.

It’s not necessary that the top post be the final and last thought on what the “idea” is.

The point is that someone starts with a topic or suggestion, and it’s discussed and refined.

Two readily obvious examples of extensive discussions in Ideas & Feature Requests that we know got the attention of the devs are:

Had I not merged your original post to this thread, I would have moved it to Ideas & Feature Requests anyway.

I also would have renamed it to at least include Obakan in the title, so people searching would have a better chance of correctly identifying what your thread was about.

I felt this particular conversation I merged into was recent enough and relevant enough that your post would productively contribute to the conversation — particularly because it was after the other recent buffs of heroes with counter attacks. It shares the same context and timeliness as your thread, as opposed to a thread from several months ago, which would have predated those buffs.

That’s the point of merging — to get more people interested in a particular topic into one place to discuss it, instead of having similar threads spread out. Anyone who was following the original thread gets notified, in addition to anyone from the new thread.

Merging also increases “thread rank,” as Discourse (the Forum software) uses aggregate views, likes, comments, and votes to determine those — which are all benefitted by merging.

We also know from experience that while SGG Staff rarely respond directly on the Forum, when they do, it’s most often in large-scale threads that were created through the merger of parallel topics. I take that as evidence that they, like many Forum users, make use of Discourse’s thread navigation tools to take note of threads with more engagement.

To come back to this again, it’s worth noting that Forum Rules explicitly prohibit publicly discussing or debating moderation decisions.

I’m actually far more tolerant of that than SGG Staff have instructed me to be, and have hosted a number of discussions about approaches to thread management and moderation that were technically in violation of the Forum Rules (including this one), and have been reminded of such before by Staff.

That said, discussions about moderation within a thread on another topic are highly distracting from the actual thread topic.

In the future, if you want to reach a moderator to ask a question, a better approach is to flag your own post using the “Custom” option, where you can type your message, and we’ll receive it privately, and can respond without derailing the thread.

I appreciate the appreciation, and thanks for taking the time to share your intentions about your thread, and to consider my response. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would at the very least make someone think twice about using an aoe special while his riposte is up (cause I’m talking like 200%, it’s not like it’s hard to avoid a specific hero).

On offense, you’d just have to hope the opposing team/titan/boss decides to target him :smile:

Obakan is a weak hero that should be fixed to level the playing field. Presently, this hero is not effective compared to heroes like Elena. Please make him: 1) reflect to flanks as well, or extend reflect to all allies; 2) make reflect percent same as 4* Cyprian at 125%; 3) change speed to very fast. This hero needs major improvement to be fun. Thanks!

2 Likes

Gotta say that Obakan need to get some love (sure thing, its not the only one - best regards to Quintus).
But as long as many new heroes popping up, Obakan seems to be left behind with no love at all.
I got it, not all the vanilla heroes can be Joon or Lianna, but still it would be only fair to give to minor buff at least here.

maybe damage could be increase %260----> %300 :thinking:

2 Likes

Sure,
or make it 260 to target and nearby enemies (removing minor damage), either way will do the job done, without reaching some OP point.
Even raising counter damage amount to 135% - 150% will make me happy ^^

They should give him a 3 turns taunting skill, he is the “Praetorian Bodyguard” afterall.

2 Likes

Make his damage 235% to target and nearby enemies and give the counter attack to him and nearby allies, but make it non-dispellable.

2 Likes

As the Pretorian Body Guard, a taunt effect works excelente, son give him a 3 turns taunting skill, and slightly increasing the counter to 125% would add him a great niche

2 Likes

Even a 1 turn taunt would be a great addition!

1 Like

Agree! Is like thematic skill on Obakan

Either make him to do damage 260 to target and nearby enemies, or at least 350 and minor damage to nearby enemies. Right now he’s a poor excuse for 5* fast mana hero.

I agree. I think costumes may have washed their hands from actually buffing season 1 heroes. Obakan was my first ever 5* pull and I never levelled him fortunately from the info on this forum. That said, I pull his costume and I might have the bite the bullet and up him.

Cheers!

1 Like