💔 I HATE / LOVE this game! – A Guide to Complaining, Celebrating, and Overcoming Obstacles

NOTE from @zephyr1: This thread is a work in progress, and will be added to. Please feel free to share feedback on it below, thanks!

If you’re new to the Forum, first off, hi, and welcome! :smiley:

And if you’re a routine reader of the Forum, then you know that discussion about the fairness of various game elements is a frequent and popular topic. :upside_down_face:

This thread will help guide you to the right place to ask for help, learn new information, or vent and voice frustrations/complaints.

This is an index of some of the most popular topics, providing an easy way for Forum members to find the right information and discussions to join in.

Threads included below cover venting, praise, recommended strategies for overcoming obstacles, and data tracking projects related to common complaints and frustrations.

The threads are grouped by topic, and are limited to those that have achieved widespread engagement, as judged by popularity rankings by the forum software, as well as longevity of activity and number of comments. New threads will be added periodically, as befitting the criteria.

Introduction for New Forum Visitors: What the Forum is All About

Click for Overview of the Forum

The Forum is mostly for player peer support.

This is a great place to:

• Get recommendations on strategy and hero leveling, or learn new and deeper information about the game

• Share an accomplishment

• Find a new alliance, or recruit new members for yours

• Joke around with fellow players

The Forum can also be a venue for venting and sharing frustrations — but you should know your audience.

It’s totally fine to vent/complain here too, but you’re mostly doing so to fellow players. We don’t write the software, nor design the game.

(If you want to talk to the Small Giant Games Staff, you need to Contact Support.)

So as fellow players, we can’t do much with venting/complaining other than listen and empathize.

But often we’ve experienced the same frustrations, and can relate — and even better, we can help!

Be Mindful of the Forum Rules

The Forum Rules require civility between players — remember, this is a Community Forum, and you’re responsible for your appropriate conduct.

In particular, when expressing frustrations, remember that you’re speaking with fellow players, and avoid any insults, name calling, personal attacks, or other uncivil or inappropriate conduct toward other players.

Overcoming Obstacles

Many elements of this game can drive you batty — Summons, boards, War, Raids, slow progress.

In fact it’s kind of a guarantee that it does for everyone at some point.

But there’s TONS of knowledge here, and lots of other players who are eager to help you if you just ask! :slight_smile:

Click for How to Use the Forum

Why Cant I Create New Topics?

If you’re new to the Forum, you need to meet very basic usage criteria before you can start a new thread, rather than commenting on an existing one. This thread covers what those criteria are.

Forum Help Available Here!

This is the thread to post in if you have questions about how to use the Forum itself.

Formatting posts

This is a guide to formatting your posts on the Forum, to improve communication of your ideas and questions…if you actually want anyone to read them. :wink:

Topics

Frustrations As a Newer Player

Advice for New Players, or "All the things I wish someone had told me when I first started."

Worst mistake you've made in-game? (Serious Mistakes)

Hero Summoning

Vent & Discuss

These are the most popular threads for complaining or venting about how Summons work, and discussing the Summons system.

[VENT & DISCUSS] Summons are ridiculous - Summons MASTER

[VENT & DISCUSS] Give me something for my money, SG

[VENT & DISCUSS] RNG Taken Too Far!

Solutions

Ultimately, Summons work how they work, and we have to accept that as players. But these threads offer insights into how to approach that reality.

[GUIDE] What exactly is a Gacha? (Read before posting things about "unfair pulls")

This post is the go-to source for understanding the basic nature of random-draw based game elements, like Summoning in Empires and Puzzles. This is one of the top 10 most viewed threads since its publication, and is highly recommended reading for all players.

[GUIDE] How much should I spend?- HotM cost, and odds, analysis

A fantastic and concise post, with insights into the cumulative odds of getting (or not getting) a HOTM [Hero of the Month] in a number of Summons, and guidance on making decisions about your personal budget for Summoning.

[GUIDE] Are the odds of getting a HOTM (Hero of the Month) Different/Same/Better for a 1x or 10x Summons / Single vs. 10 Pull / Individually vs. Ten at Once? [MASTER]

This is a common question, and the answer is that a 10-pull is the equivalent of 10 single pulls — but has the advantage of a discount in gem cost, and the disadvantage that you can’t stop if you get what you want before the end of the 10-pull. This thread goes into further detail and discussion, including some repeated explanations about how cumulative probability works.

[OPINION & DISCUSSION] Happy players play for free

This thread starts from the premise that there are a lot of complaints about Summons, and the author would like to stop engaging with them, and focus on being satisfied and enjoying the game. The thread goes on to discuss this topic extensively.

Training Camps

Training Camp lvl 20 - Results

MASTER THREAD (Solved) - Training Camp Lost food/recruits at withdrawal

Ascension Mats

Ascension Items for max. Tier

Lack of Ascending Materials?

Ascension Material Tracking and Comparison

List of methods for acquiring unfarmable ascension materials via playing / Where to earn nonfarmable ascension materials through gameplay

Ascension materials - An appeal to quit being so stingy with them MASTER

Board Randomness/Fairness

Stones' colour distribution is NOT random - MASTER Board Conspiracy

Color Stacking: The Odds

Color Stacking Fairness Project

Suspicious tile colour replacements

Everybody Gets Bad Boards

AI (Artificial Intelligence)

[DISCUSSION] The AI is Becoming Smarter Again And Again

A frequent observation (and sometimes complaint) is that the AI sometimes appears to be getting smarter, repeatedly targeting healers, Wu Kong, Proteus, weak heroes, or other key heroes on your team. This thread discusses the history of these claims, as well as various player observations.

Alliance Wars

Matchmaking

Alliance Wars Matchmaking (Discussion & Developer Response) MASTER

Unfair Matches in Alliance Wars

Excellent war!

Alliance wars - matching manipulation

Calculation of Alliance Wars Score – what is War Matchmaking based on? Do trophies, Titan score, or alliance score count? [SPOILER: No.]

This thread covers how War Score is calculated, and thus how Alliance War matchmaking works. Often people think it’s based on a variety of factors that it’s not, so check out this thread for accurate information on how it works.

Enemy Support (Field Aid, Arrow Barrage, Attack Boost)

Can we just get rid of Field Aid already?

Field Aid: A How To

Field aid in wars is broken

[DISCUSSION] Arrow barrage is enough to make you quit the game

A discussion of Arrow Barrage in War, with differing perspectives about its difficulty, a fair number of jokes, and some suggestions of ways to do better in Wars with it.

[DISCUSSION] Attack Boost is Not Enough To Make Me Quit…but I think it could be better

Started mostly for completeness after threads existed on Field Aid and Arrow Barrage, this thread points out some potential improvements to Attack Boost, and buries a few useful insights amidst mostly joking posts.

Raids

Raids are unfair, but not for the reasons you think - Raids MASTER

Ultimate Raid Strategy Tips for the Casual Player

What I Learned When I Lost All My Trophies

Stones' colour distribution is NOT random - MASTER Board Conspiracy

Raids: fair or unfair?

Raids Suck

[COMMUNITY] Fighting familiar names

As a fun community activity, players share their teams and results from Raids against fellow Forum members that they know and recognize. Some players share screenshots, and some even share videos of their Raids or Revenges, particularly if a player tags them to give them a heads up.

Epic Hero Token & Epic Troop Token Frequency

No Epic Troop Token or Epic Hero Token in the Last Month / Fewer Epic Tokens Lately / Drop Rate for Epic Tokens Decreasing / Did you get any Epic Tokens lately? / Epic Tokens Gone/Missing [MASTER]

A lot of people frequently say that drop rates for Epic Hero Tokens and Epic Troop Tokens have suddenly/recently dropped — of course, people seem to constantly be saying this, and the developers have directly stated that they haven’t altered the drop rates, so it’s probably just RNG. But if you want to see what others have to say, or share your experience, this is the thread for you!

Chest Loot & Frequency

What happened to Elemental chest loot?

Farming to Fill Special Elemental Chests

P

What am I doing wrong?- Where are my Elemental chests?

Elemental Chest Frequency - days tracking and results > estimated between 4 to 16 days

Opening Chests - Discussion

Show me your rewards

The Ridiculous Bragging thread

Titan Chests

Titan Chest Vent Thread / Bad Titan Chest Loot / Is Titan Chest Loot a Joke?

Titan Loot

Titans: Grades, Loot Tiers, and You

Show me your rewards

Mystic Vision

Mystic Vision - don’t stop believing

Ingredient Farming

The Big Problem as I See It

Mai's Guide to Efficient Farming – List of best lvls to farm monster, different resources, wanted missions and XP

Am I the only person who has serious difficulty getting enough Midnight Roots?

Challenge Events

:star2: Memento 5 Events

Challenge Events Feedback

Dear Developers (regarding Special Events)

Balancing the Challenge Event rewards

Fix challenge tiers

Rare Quests

:dizzy: Memento Quests

RARE Quests - Reference Thread - Check spreadsheet for more details

Regular Quests

Collect gems II - or how to waste your time

Does anyone actually do these?

Class Trials & Emblems

:superhero: Memento Heroes Classes and Quests

The new class Quests will give only 3400xp and 12 recruits for 20 energy. Thats too low

Emblem Drop Tracking

Unreasonable Emblem Odds [Developer Response in Post 100]

Seasonal Events

:herb: Memento seasonal events

:rabbit: Springvale 2019: Teams, Strategy, FAQs, Discussion, and Links

I hate the Christmas Heroes

Visual Design

I hate the Christmas Heroes

Mercing

Another Attempt to Punish Mercs….Here We Go Again!

Advertising

Something awesome about this game! – Optional Advertising with Rewards

Contact Support

How to Contact Support (v1.9.7 onwards)

This provides instructions on how to contact Support from within the game. The Forum itself is primarily for player peer support, so if you’re looking to get in touch with Staff who actually work for Small Giant Games, or to address any account issues, you’ll need to contact Support directly, as no one on the Forum can help with that.

General & Multi-Topic

Shortlist of Frequent Requests (Ruled Out & Considering - Please Read Before Posting!)

This game is fair and worth the money I have spent, and I intend to keep spending

Game is Being NERFED to DEATH

Sharing our concerns and hopes (Foreign Languages)

Game Is Now Falling Apart. Players Still Leaving

Time for me to go & my parting feedback

One last letter to devs: Why I’m quitting

A letter to the devs - I’m not quitting so let’s talk direction :slight_smile:

I’m NEVER coming back! See you tomorrow! Vent thread

Just for Fun

The Ridiculous Complaints thread (satire)

The Ridiculous POLL thread

The Feline Fans of E&P :heart_eyes_cat:

Puppy power! The Dog Devotees of E&P :dog:

Worst mistake you’ve made in-game?

Fun with @discobot

[COMMUNITY] :rose: A Player By Any Other Name… Where does your Game Name/Forum Name come from?

[COMMUNITY] Fighting familiar names

As a fun community activity, players share their teams and results from Raids against fellow Forum members that they know and recognize. Some players share screenshots, and some even share videos of their Raids or Revenges, particularly if a player tags them to give them a heads up.

[COMMUNITY] You know you’ve been playing Empires too much when

A long-running joke thread completing the phrase, “You know you’ve been playing Empires too much when…” Read what others have said, and add your own!

[COMMUNITY] Vivica, Elena, Joon and Khagan walk into a bar…the Awful Jokes thread

Bad puns, juvenile jokes, and overused tropes make up the posts in this thread. So awful that they’re great! …or maybe just terrible. :laughing:

[COMMUNITY] I can be your hero, baby :notes: - hero names in songs

Heroes in song lyrics

49 Likes

They should really be paying you lol

23 Likes

this is impressive work

6 Likes

So wonderful :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:
Hope this helps not to read the same questions and complains again and again…

3 Likes

Great job, thank you so much

3 Likes

Wow @zephyr1, nicely done!! Where was this when I started :joy:. Thank you!

4 Likes

Zephyr’s job in real life:

Great work! :grin: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10 Likes

@discobot can you make all new forum members read this toppic during your wonderfull introduction?

8 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

2 Likes

I’m assuming you would adore suggestions for these categories? :laughing: Well, if not, you’re getting 1 anyways…

3 Likes

Yes please! I started on this months ago, so there’s plenty to add.

And I added that one. :slight_smile:

I’m also hoping to add a brief description of each thread, particularly for the most popular ones.

6 Likes

I really think I’m the only one in my Alliance who regularly reads the forum. I love descending from “on high” (here) with tidings and news from the E&P GAWDS!!!
A sincere THANKS for all the effort that is poured into this great resource!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

8 Likes

@zephyr1 if this wasn’t a serious suggestion, it should be. Fantastic thread!!!

11 Likes

Hmm, now that you mention it, I think there might actually be a way to customize the Discourse Tutorial. We could investigate that more…

5 Likes

@zephyr1
WHAT!!! I had no idea the TRCT was satire…
rct830

12 Likes

That’s a typo…the RCT is about Satyr

Also, I had no idea how NSFW Googling that would be!

Let’s just say, if SG ever incorporate one in the game, he’s going to need a mighty codpiece!

11 Likes

I’m not surprised, given the historical Satyr Plays.

3 Likes

It was half half :wink:
But to me it sounded as a very logical step to include this.
Read this post first and click some links so you know what you already can find on the forum.

When I find some time I will check if I can add.

3 Likes

Might be a little intimidating for newbies as they don’t know anyone yet, but I’m sure there’s a lot of seasoned players that haven’t found this thread yet. up to you :smile:

4 Likes

Great idea to add! I put it into Raiding and Just for Fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like