How to use Wilbur?

Make new video with Wu then :wink:

3 Likes

Nah, I’m going to start using tarlak going forward.

1 Like

Another thing I want to add is after you fire the Wilbur special to maximize damage you should either 1) Fire strong tiles into a weak color like blue to red or green to blue etc etc or 2) Fire specials at the hero that has the LOWEST defense, this will make your specials hit harder against that hero and give more distributed damage. Add in caveat of heroes that have specials that do extra damage against a color, example Gravemaker, Athena, etc etc

3 Likes

What happens if Wilbur fires then Domitia dispells three enemies? Do the remaining two still link damage?

@Harbour Yes they do.

1 Like

This is exactly what I was looking for.

I use Wilbur quite a bit while raiding and find him awesome. Yeah I still lose some but that is life.

His spirit link has come in handy on both sides. He has saved my team a few times and has made me win quite a few times with defensive team damage sharing. I use Lianna Joon Drake Rigard with him and focus my shots on the weakest defender as stated above and it works very well. He is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Soon I will try and work Khiona into that mix.

4 Likes

Wilbur is a game changer in the raids, and here are some tips that you can use:

Before you activate Wilbur:

Use Wilbur’s defence buffing/debuffing to override enemy buffs and your debuffs. So, if you see enemy defence buffer/debuffer ready, wait until they fire and then activate Wilbur to instantly override them.

Don’t activate Wilbur if you see Rigard or Vivica ready, because they will remove defence debuff.

Don’t activate Wilbur if you see Zeline or Sabina ready, because they will remove defence buff.

Don’t fire Wilbur if one of your heroes is almost dead, because spirit link will definitely kill them. Wait until your healer is ready, heal and then activate Wilbur.

Wilbur’s usefulness increases when number of enemy heroes is low, so kill one or two heroes with snipers before triggering Wilbur. Biggest threats are: Defence buffers, Healers and Dispellers, so kill them out first if possible.

Don’t take low-defence heroes into your party, because they can be a weak point, damaging more defended heroes through spirit link. Make sure your heroes are relatively even leveled.

It is very wise to trigger Wilbur right before heroes with vampiric abilities (Elkanen, Leonidas) use their special. Defence buff and spirit link will reduce the damage (and amount of HP healed) dramatically.

Under WIlbur’s effect enemy snipers can’t kill, so use it when enemy snipers are ready.

After you activate Wilbur:

When your single-target sniper is ready (Magni, Joon etc), select hero with the lowest possible defence stat.

When you have a hero that hits 3 targets, make sure that you hit as many enemy heroes as you can.

You can relatively safely attack targets covered with a Riposte effect under Wilbur’s spirit link, the effect of Riposte will be divided by the number of enemy heroes. so if 5 enemy heroes are under spirit link, attacking one with Riposte will only return 20% of damage to your heroes.

If you want to break spirit link on some heroes for some reason, you can target them with a dispeller. Dispel breaks the spirit link, but leaves the defence debuff.

Spirit link enhances all effects that depend on the heroes being hit (like Khiona, Brienne, Black Knight, Athena and Namahage), since it spreads hits all over enemies and allies. For example, if you have Spirit Link and activate Brienne, each single hit from enemy will count as a hit for every hero, increasing their attack. AoE effects will multiply hits, so if you have 5 heroes under Spirit Link and enemy attacks you with AoE, each hero will receive 5 hits instead of 1. This is very important when fighting against Minions/Fiends, since their hits are also multiplied.

Conclusion

Wilbur is quite versatile hero if you use him right. Here is how he can change the game:

• diminishes Perfect Riposte effect
  • diminishes snipers’ special (turns them into AoE)
  • diminishes vampiric abilities (except for Morgana)
  • combines both defence buffs/debuffs of Vivica and Isarnia with average mana speed
  • multiplies hits for buffs/debuffs that depend on number of hits (like Khiona or Athena)

All of those advantages are also his disadvantages. Under Wilbur’s effect, your snipers, vampires and riposte heroes won’t work well. If enemy gets buffs or debuffs defence after triggering WIlbur, the situation will get turned around.

What you have on your side is that you can control when you trigger Wilbur, so you can get maximum effect. Use the timing wisely.

So, good luck with this very awesome hero!

86 Likes

Great tutorial!
I would add one thing: If you have the enemy’s tank almost killed - finish him before triggering Wilburs special as it can be hard to do it afterwards :wink:

5 Likes

This is what I am using now. I wanted to get Khiona in the mix. Before I was using the same with Drake @70 instead of Khiona. Both fun and enjoyable for raiding!

2 Likes

I’ve updated my Wilbur guide with some tips about Riposte and also added a conclusion.

3 Likes

Wilbur + Thorne work very well in farming.

That is definitely not sad… Kashrek is one of the best 4* tanks. I would use him any day as tank over Wilbur (which seems to be your current tank)The lizard has great healing and even greater fire defense buff which put together makes staking reds against him futile most of the times. Maybe you should attack some Kashrek tanked teams and form your own oppinion about him. I would choose him any day over LJ in defense, that’s for sure

1 Like

Meh, I seek out Kashrek tanked teams and I carry Melendor and Sonia and just wipe that off. His heal isn’t all that.

2 Likes

Lucky you… You got Melendor and Sonia… But believe me, staking reds rarely works against him… Anyway, he is the most used green tank in mid platinum… Melendor just can’t face red tiles and Cademon goes down, even if he gets to shoot once, and he is no “on shot” killer. Meantime, Kashrek just heals and buffs it’s neighbors, long before you can charge up a debuffer…

Hello guyz,

I see that my topic interrests people so I’m happy !

A few weeks have now passed since I started this topic. After I wrote it, I stopped to use Wilbur (to play with Gormek instead) but went back to him something like 10 days ago.

Well, I can’t play without him now. He’s just awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks to my actual team, got Platinum in raids even if my team only has 3 053 power so… I guess that it’s not bad when I see a lot arround 3 200 / 3 500 in platinum as well. Thanks Rigard & Wilbur :smiley:

See ya all & thanks for all your help, keep discussing about Wilbur, I’ll often check :partying_face:

4 Likes

I’m going to use him in conjunction with the guardians (falcon and panther) I pulled last month to target weak colours (green and yellow) that I can sniper (Kelile/Nat and Sart) and spread crazy damage across the entire raid team.

Hoping this works because in theory it’s pretty sound way to manipulate spirit link.

1 Like

How about telling us how you are using him?

1 Like

This does deal quite a bit of damage to the defense (especially if you already have killed a couple). I use Wilbur-Falcon-Kelile/Marjana to great effect; especially when I see Melendor or Little John :slight_smile: . Be careful of cleansers/defense buffers that can remove the defense debuff, as they will keep the spirit link :sob:

Edit: Panther you will have to fire first, since she removes the spirit link.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips - I can’t wait to do this to great effect.

1 Like

Saw earlier post here where you wrote “sniper” then “Kelile/Nat”. If you mean Natalya, remember she is not a sniper.