How to help our volunteer moderators

Question

Do system flags count as developer or moderator disciplinary actions? Does this question count as a “discussion” or a “debate”?

I’m under the assumption that flags are not necessarily discplinary actions towards anyone. Typically a simple way of saying “this post doesn’t belong here”

If they are disciplinary then we shouldn’t flag any posts as technically we’re “getting people in trouble” if that’s the case

4 Likes

Your question is inviting a discussion. As long as further discussion doesn’t include specific examples of specific actions, it’s fine.

Flags themselves aren’t necessarily disciplinary actions – however, the action from the flag is what can result in a disciplinary action.

I’d personally encourage you to use the flag system when you see posts that are not fitting the current discussion or that violate forum rules. That’s the best way to help us.

3 Likes

I lost my regular status right after I got flagged in a heated discussion with another forum member. I just noticed thanks to reading Rigs’ post :thinking:

In my opinion flags shouldn’t be used as retaliation by members of the forum. These should be used responsibly. Flagging people for no reason should have consequences too. I agree with Rigs that flagging people could get them in trouble sometimes.

It depends on the flag type and mod response.

I flag posts all the time to suggest merges. Flagging allows all the mods to get the message without all of them being tagged. This stops just the most current visible moderator getting inundated personally.

These flags don’t count against people in any way.

If you flag for inappropriate content and it is upheld by mods/staff then it does count against them.

Potentially, if you wanted a mod to pay attention to a heated topic without wanting to add further fuel to the fire, you could use an ‘other’ flag and add a brief note explaining your concern.

If someone loses the plot and throws out a load of cussing and threats I have no qualms about getting their post hidden.

7 Likes

I do this on purpose several times a month, to not earn the regular. I am premium and I wanna remain in this way :joy:

1 Like

You have 0 flags counting against you.

You lost your Regular status because you’ve only read 15636 posts in the last 100 days, and the requirement is 20000.

7 Likes

It does, in a couple ways:

• Discourse, the Forum software, rates flag accuracy, based on whether submitted flags are agreed to. Higher or lower accuracy ratings are automatically taken into account by the software when deciding whether to automatically hide a post or not, while it’s pending review by a moderator or Staff. That rating is also noted for context when flags are reviewed by a person.

• No Forum member can cause a “ding” on the record of another Forum member without the flag being reviewed and approved. Submitting a flag can automatically hide a post temporarily, but it doesn’t count on that person’s record unless it’s reviewed and approved by a moderator or Small Giant Staff member. “Off Topic” and “Something Else” flags NEVER count against someone, only “Inappropriate” and “Spam” flags do, and again, only if reviewed and agreed to.

• Inappropriate use of the flagging functionality is a violation of Forum Rules, and is dealt with as such. Forum members misusing flagging functionality are warned, and can have their access to posting on the Forum or using flags temporarily restricted or even permanently limited if there is sufficient repeated violation of Forum Rules.

That all said, flags are extremely useful for us. They’re the right way to get the attention of a moderator or Small Giant Staff member to review something.

11 Likes

I see now.Thanks for explaining, Zephyr. I thought I got flagged a lot or something :smile:

5 Likes

So if when a post of ours is flagged we could get a “ ping” on our record? So, who holds the record for most Pings? I think we should start a poll to vote on who’s in the top 10 and then release the data!! Maybe, start some categories for the forumns with yearly rewards; MVP- most likes from posts, Ironman-for the guy who spends most time on the forumns that calendar year, “King Ping”- well for the flag gatherers… might make the forumns more fun

1 Like

Most of this, apart from flags, is publicly available on the ‘users’ tab.

All I’ll say is @zephyr1 might as well collect the trophy now! :trophy:

4 Likes

I’m just outside the top 20 for likes received in 2019 (the race is on) but I’m higher than @Petri.

Who me? Competitive? :relaxed:

7 Likes

Does this line of discussion belong in the “How to help our volunteer moderators?” - I think NOT! Flag pending for being off topic :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

You’re third for reading.

So, well done :smirk::+1:

5 Likes

Thoughts on this :thinking:

1 Like

Good thinking :thinking:

That’s why we pay you the big bucks :moneybag:

1 Like

Been here for a few months and haven’t flagged anyone yet. Once I do figure out how to do it I’ll probably just save my allotment for Rigs. He seems to get a kick out of collecting them, kinda like hero cards.

2 Likes

I keep trying to flag him but most of the time I’m either agreeing with him or laughing too hard.

4 Likes

He does make it difficult to disagree

1 Like

Only fair to tag him into the conversation @Rigs - lol. :crazy_face:.

2 Likes

The most poetic of justice would be if you could flag @Rigs into the conversation

2 Likes