How to be a good leader

Lol same here @Rook!

I did want to reiterate one (of many) great points from RedPython’s tome:

If one person actually says something, at least a couple others have thought it. When someone speaks up, address it right away.

3 Likes

Power should be shared and everyone should be familiar with the alliance rules from the get go. The alliance will protect each other once they all know what we as an alliance are all about.
No rule breaking, credit should be given where it’s deserved useful information that benefits each other should be shared , players that are still growing should be guided / made to feel comfortable we were all once there but luck changes …some points I have summed up from being part of a good alliance the core has become more like family we respect each other …we Allow freedom of expression promoted only trusted members to co -leader those that know what you are about and will protect enforce alliance rules …all decisions should be discussed and seconded by co leaders a third agreement on what is discussed will be word example kicks even though rules are enforced… we have discord a chat app to keep track of missed Titans/ wars in fairness of all …those that want to join discord were free to join it …If not that’s okay it’s only a game tool…

2 Likes

I’m a firm believer in screenshots of Titans killed and wars won/lost (with notations if titans go down early), so someone on the far side of the world isn’t unfairly judged over one lost Titan killed in half the time…

4 Likes

That is so true @Rook it happens often enough (especially when we are diverse and spread all around the Globe) a Titan could be killed while players in another hemisphere are asleep ,in those instances we have to look at the players Activity also and a pardon should be granted until the next Titan …we also have a tab on discord for notified “inactivity” 3 missed Titans for example won’t apply to that player that informs us …Real life happens but to be fair on active members a notification also counts as a token of being active / they value their place on the alliance enough to let us know that you will be on vacation , exams , health issue what ever it is …the supportive alliance then understands .

3 Likes

@Nakita, that is also very good point. My alliance has a rule, which is actually more of a guideline, which says that if a Titan is killed in less than 12hrs we don’t consider non participation an issue. Let’s face it, most of us have to sleep and if you are in a part of the world where the Titan schedule just didn’t work for you it is not your fault.
I said it is a guideline because it is not hard and fast. As a leader you need to consider the context. If it was just about rules an alliance could be self governed. As I said before, provided you don’t ‘play favourites’ transparent judgment should be part of your leadership.
I also keep track of members vacations and notified absences, because at the end of the day this is a game people play for fun and they do have real lives.

3 Likes

I don’t think we’ve actually killed a titan that fast yet; I don’t think we’ve beat 14-15 hours, but our rule on titan hits more-or-less covers that situation:

Use all your flags on the titan within the first 11 hours.

The idea being that if you play twice a day, you will show up once during that window, and have three flags (Unless you used all your flags on the last titan and it came down to the wire). More dedicated play will allow 4-5 hits in 11-12 hours, and we appreciate that, but don’t require it.

We accept that real life interferes with games sometimes, and that’s OK; Telling us helps! But if we can see that someone was in the game, but didn’t hit the titan…our leader get an itchy boot…

1 Like

This a a casual phone game, not a PvP MMO…
There is little to no “leadership” required, beyond kicking inactives and keeping alliance chat acceptable.

I’ve been in an alliance with sparse leadership and an alliance with active leadership. The difference is palpable and significant in my opinion.

6 Likes

Hi our alliance leader has recently left and now I’m the new leader. I’ve just read your tips and found it really useful, thank you. But here’s a really basic question - we’ve lost a lot of members lately and I need to recruit - but I’ve no idea how to do it. Can you help please?

@RedPython can give you some great tips. One thing I’d like to say is to put yourself in the position of the person you’re trying to recruit.

Often I see recruiting ads saying what they expect the new player to bring to the alliance - strong teams, etc. - but not as much about what your alliance can offer the player. If you are looking for good, established players, they are probably already in an alliance but considering a move. Make it worth their while to actually leave and join you. Sell them on your alliance!

If you are willing to take in new-to-the-game players, make it clear how you can help and support their efforts as they grow stronger.

For myself, I’m turned off by strong language regarding inactivity, such as “you don’t participate, you’re kicked!” There are certainly better ways to encourage participation.

Before I retired I worked in non-profit organizations that included a lot of volunteers. I’m finding I’m needing to rely on those skills I developed in motivating volunteers, which is quite different than telling a paid employee what they need to do or, as in the military - simply ordering them to do it.

We are all here voluntarily. It takes encouragement, positive reinforcement, leading by good example, being fair and just in your decisions, being very patient as you’re dealing with 30 distinct personalities (including your own), and offering great support. Do all that and you’ll earn the respect of your new recruits and the other members.

8 Likes

Thanks for your good ideas, all of which I will certainly follow. But I’m afraid my request was much more basic than that - I don’t even know where these ads are placed! Is it a section on this website, or is it within the game itself. Thanks for your patience!

1 Like

Currently we are chatting in the General Discussion thread. If you check the other threads, you’ll see ones named Game Play, Bugs and Issues, etc.

You want to use the Alliance Recruitment thread. As a word of caution, the forum members are VERY sensitive about blatant recruiting outside of that thread. Don’t get overenthusiastic about naming your alliance and saying that you have space, etc. when you are commenting or making posts on any other threads.

3 Likes

Hi Miteddy
I found that at most times long adds go unnoticed.work your personality it works for me or you can draft little adds … Stating around which teampower you are looking for, set trophies on your alliance as a guideline of what type of teams you want in your alliance … Place your little adds in alliance recruitment but pace yourself place one after maybe a 5 minute wait.

1 Like

To add to @princess1 suggestions, I’ll recommend that you create one thread in Alliance Recruitment, and comment on it periodically to bump it up to the top, rather than creating a new thread each time.

Maybe read through a couple of posts there and think, “What do I like about this ad? Would I respond to it if I was looking?” Then incorporate those things into your post.
Likewise think, “What do I not like?” and avoid doing that in your ad.

3 Likes

I totally agree with this, but…

But I do think you need to be totally frank about what gets you kicked, and state it upfront. It part of the expectation setting. I would rather someone bounce out right away if our exceptions don’t meet their needs (or vis-versa), than have both sides grow ever more resentful of the other, or me spending time booting up someone who will just leave. I hate drama in an alliance and frankly setting expectations is a great way of avoiding that.

5 Likes

There’s a middle ground. You can clearly state your expectations without coming across as heavy handed. For example, “Members are expected to use all war flags and all titan flags,” sounds less belligerent than “Use all flags or get lost.”

4 Likes

We are currently full for the first time and we never placed anything like recruitment ads or called for members anywhere.

Just sit and wait.
(very inactive get kicked after more than 6 to 8 weeks of inactivity without giving any reason)

2 Likes

I agree phrasing is important, but I also think ramifications need to be clear. And honestly the more hard core your alliance is, the more critical it is that you make that clear. The more casual your alliance the less important to include ramifications because there may not be any.

I would hate to boot anyone who didn’t 100% know why they were being booted, and it shouldn’t be spelled out before the whole alliance after the infraction.

2 Likes

I’m don’t know how many members you have, but it’s my understanding that if you only need one or two, your alliance isn’t included in the general search on the game.

Perhaps the OP will be lucky since he’s looking at filling multiple spots.

1 Like

And this sums up exactly that ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL!

Every alliance is different, with different levels of tolerance. That’s why the most important thing is to give potential recruits enough information, in language you are comfortable with, and let them decide if it’s the right fit.

The ONLY thing we can probably all agree on is … the right alliance for YOU offers the most satisfying gaming experience!

4 Likes