How to be a good leader

What tips can be offered to co leaders and leaders of alliances to be even better at what they are doing, especially when the rest of the alliance depends on you.

5 Likes

Knowing these forums exist is one of the more important steps. Lots of knowledge in the player guides area. Where to farm x color mob, where to farm for x items, advice on leveling heroes, advice on titan dmg, advice on war strategies. Soak it all up and you will be able to help the rest of your players grow and improve.

I’ll randomly share these bits of knowledge, because not everybody likes to publicly ask for help.

6 Likes

Be fair and firm. Leading is a very ungrateful task.

If you put a requirement for players to be active on Titans and wars, then act on enforcing it. Demote and kick. It is only fair to your active members.

Create a FB page for your clan, so you can share screenshots and call out when the titan has only 5% left with 20 minutes to go.

6 Likes

@Nakita

I thought about making a video on this but did not want to come off as pretentious. What specifically do you want to know?

5 Likes

@Anchor I think it would be great if you do go ahead and make a video. Not everybody does ask for help but I am pretty sure a lot of people need guidance now and then plus it would be an interesting watch coming from a player with a lot of game experience .I have heard of alliances that are quite new but after a few weeks members bail on the leader, or the leader becomes inactive and the alliance is then run by all the members minus the leader.
Sometimes leaders are not quite sure if they are doing a great job or not , until we ask the alliance.

There is only so much knowledge we can pass on until they apply it and it becomes second nature to them but I do know that the game is not static at all .
In terms of promotions from an Elder being faithful as one for a long time the next step would then be Co-leader ,in the start I was like one Co-leader and one leader to avoid chaos but now in terms of rewards we have our hands tied/ appreciation of members when everybody is growing and besides the actuall well done ,good job ,how many co leaders should a good alliance have? On the grounds of members knowing what the alliance is all about understanding our little rules ,discussing any thing that concerns the alliance ie kicks accepting new members making sure it is not a dictatorship or unfair.

3 Likes

I have a couple of really good co-leaders, one of whom is great at recruiting. That makes my job a lot easier.

I also try to keep track of who joined and when, when people leave and why, when people miss titans and things like that. I like to be able to go back and say definitively when things happened, have a bit of a paper trail.

Other than that just be fair and objective, sounds easy but a lot of times it’s not.

Oh one other thing it can be useful to know what part of the world people are in so you know when they’ll be active. I am in US and one of my co-leaders is in Europe so that works out great.

4 Likes

I am based in UK and I deliberately have co-leaders in New Zealand , East coast US and West coast US. This means there is generally a leader available to make a call on letting a Titan go (yes it sometimes happens!). We have specific rules around it so they need to be on point at the specified time to decide.

Also I believe and endorse the point about being fair and not playing favourites is important. If you have rules around kicking, then enforce them. It might seem harsh but other are playing by the rules so only fair to them.

4 Likes

That´s a video I´d love to see. I have an absolutely great alliance and I´m doing my best to be the leader they deserve.
While I have lead clans, guilds and etc. in other games I am pretty sure I can learn a lot.
Hope you go ahead with it!

2 Likes

A video about good leadership would be much appreciated :smile:

2 Likes

As a Co leader of Hitmen! We try to keep an active alliance. We have our leader and 4 Co leaders. We promote based on participateion. Being active in wars and titans will get you promoted to elder. Not being active will get a demotion. One of our Co leaders keeps track of all activity. Wars and titan attacks. We are a very tight alliance…always trying to move up. We do our best to recruit…but that can be hard sometimes. We share all info we can with each other. Team make up, hero combos and strats. Knowledge is power. Hope that helps

1 Like

I would also love to get some tips from the great @Anchor - I am a new leader of an alliance which migrated this week from one with an inactive leader. I think I am doing ok - but would love some mentoring :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few things I have found that help:
Have a few good co-leaders that you can contact outside the alliance chat. Decisions on demotions, kicking, rules, and a few other things don’t need to be discussed in front of everyone.
Be willing to recruit to fill holes, or have someone on the team willing to do that. This is hugely important.
Always be there to congratulate members on level ups, good pulls, and good titan/war efforts. This goes a long way towards making lower powered members feel like they are a critical part of the alliance.
Don’t be a jerk.

8 Likes

haha - top tip !

And good advice, all of which I personally am following already. 3 co-leaders in different timezones. 1 of which is already doing our recruitment and war planning.
And we have a seperate Line group for leadership decisions, set up by me when we were planning our migration efforts.
So I give myself a gold star for effort already !!

3 Likes

While @Annieb is a new leader, she’s got the basics nailed :yum:

Here’s our report on the recent 20+ player migration that she orchestrated

(Can You Migrate a Whole Alliance? The Migration Toolkit - #14 by Feroroxy)

2 Likes

Start with respecting your players. Also, with being clear about your expectations (your vision for your alliance, rules, goals, and whatnot), and lead by example.

I’ve changed a bunch of alliances in last few months in a quest for specific gameplay, and I’ve stumbled on:

• leaders who don’t even manage to say the difference between kick out condition and what’s expected activity (because it can be different - and especially, if someone asks you for clarification, please, do it)
  • leaders who don’t realise that people don’t spend flags because they’re ashamed that they’ll score zero points in war
  • leaders who don’t do some strategy because of being embarrassed in front of the opponent they perceive as stronger
  • leaders who don’t announce change in vision to fellow crewmates, and expect people to blindly follow whatever they’re told
  • leaders who misunderstand some strategy and apply it poorly and then conclude it didn’t quite work, or they conclude it worked just because they won
  • leaders who tell people wrong stuff (my all time favourite is - you have to use rainbow team for the defence because otherwise tiles won’t make a damage - yes, you read that right)
  • leaders who advertise as experienced alliance, and not all players are confident about colour stacking, fleeing in war, using items and similar…
  • leaders who don’t realise they have training alliance
  • leaders in training alliance who don’t share the knowledge without smothering people with it
  • leaders who don’t give praise for people’s success, for whom you’re just a number
  • leaders who ignore questions, or who can’t explain the reason behind their move (or the reason is - I follow the player with the highest ego / most loud one)
  • leaders who don’t realise that game isn’t fun when you’re the weakest one (for those players who DO want to contribute)
  • leaders who don’t realise that game isn’t fun for long when you’re the strongest one and there’s a huge disparity on the field (unless they need a break)
  • leaders who want to ‘train them into something else’ - people won’t start loving war just because you order that nor because you pushed them into that direction
  • leaders who don’t share basic information/expectation / communication channels with new members soon
  • recruiters who you need to hunt all around to get you some reply, and then they did poor job
  • generally, disorganised people who pretend they’re organised
  • leaders who think they are better, or some elder is better (be it as a person or in a game) just because they’re longer in that alliance
  • leaders who encourage competition against each other which ends in total chaos on the battlefield - and stress for those not interested in such approach (oh and lower points than they could be with less rush and a more teamwork)
  • leaders who complicate things using websites, various chat programs, share documents, polls and whatnot, and still don’t manage to send the message about for example - ‘how you want me to participate in war exactly?’ or ‘what IS the tank colour for this war?’
  • leaders who order people what to put as a def (without teaching why something is better choice) or with what to attack the opponent - I mean, such leader can just open 30 accounts and play alone
  • leaders who say that main distinction between them and others who ask for the same criteria is - we communicate
  • leaders who cannot explain even if you ask them - how exactly you DO wars - and who will waste several hours of your time in that process, and at the end you’ll see something completely different on the battlefield :rofl:

I get that vision change as you discover new things. Be honest to your members when that happens, don’t treat them like a kids, or hide stuff from them. Yes, leadership needs to discuss things in private, however they HAVE to share the findings publicly, and not through the private messages or ‘oh, we didn’t tell you that?’ :man_facepalming:

And remember - for each member that ‘casually mention something’ / whine / complain / question your move - there’s at least five of them wondering the same, but they keep quiet.

All of this doesn’t matter if your only goal is titan - then rule ‘x titans missed and you’re out’ is more than you need.

If you want to have coordination in wars, you need to build a team. First thing is realising that you don’t deserve a trust or obedience.
You earn trust, you earn that people will follow because they see you’re doing good moves.

For now, this also doesn’t matter, because current leaderboard is based on titans and raids, which both are lone wolf things, titans just means - several lone wolfs hit the same beast.

For those who want to score higher on that promised war leaderboard - they will need much more than many alliances currently offer. Or better said - when someone does better strategy than ‘just max 30 heroes’, everyone who had that one, will need to adapt if they want to keep top positions.

I draw my base experience from Travian, which is battle based game, and ‘be there for your team and they will follow’ did miracles there. And I believe such approach will work here as well, since we spend so much time together.

Oh and talk about something else than the game, don’t suppress people to talk about dogs or whatever. For that I strongly recommend using some app that allows channels / rooms / groups or whatnot, and have one for the announcement, one for game stuff and advice, one for general chat (and one for leadership).
Otherwise people will either be overwhelmed and won’t find the info and will stop checking it - or they will not talk…

Also, if you demand and whine, and be unclear, or worse - change your mind and expectations too often and that people don’t have a clue what’s current idea - they will leave. Those who stay are people who basically don’t care if they’re in your or in some other team. And therefore, they won’t do ‘their best’.

From training alliances whose war strategy is ‘just do our best’ (nothing too formal), I’d recommend the ones from @NPNKY and @Annieb - they definitely weren’t the inspiration for my ‘not to do’ list :wink:

I wouldn’t recommend some famous ones except if you’re into aggressive lone wolf approach ‘each on its own’, or if you like to spend hours in wars. Eg if they want you all to be there at the one or two timestamps in the whole war, after several wars you’ll feel it as an obligation and a lot of stress, even if you have 30 maxed 5 star heroes. If you have much less, it will be stressful even sooner. Let’s not be mistaken, this approach will win you wars. For now.

Usually because many alliances are utterly disinterested in anything else than ‘straight power’, and if you do single strategic thing thing eg single colour tank strategy or ‘put your sabina before the grimm’, you’ll last longer and score higher than the opponent.

This is a game of endurance, not a sprint. So, if you want your players not to burn out, seek other ways than brute force approach. And build your team around other stuff, and not just around the power of heroes.

23 Likes

Lots of good stuff there - thanks @RedPython, and thanks for the shout out :slight_smile:

A list of ‘do nots’ as well as ‘Dos’ is great to have to hand.

Much of it seems like common sense, but I’ve often thought common sense isn’t as common as you’d like !

3 Likes

Brilliant list. I found myself doing some internal checking as I read (which is testament to how direct and on point it was!)

6 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I think most of it condense to - keep an honest and up-to-date communication channel with your teammates, and try to be organised.

But if I just wrote that, people would say ‘yeah, I’m doing it, yeah communication is important’ (since that was what I was told usually as answers to my various questions).

With examples I think it’s easier to see where your communication can fail, or what exactly IS communication, or where your leader’s communication fails so you now may just subtly redirect them here :wink:

5 Likes

I loved your examples. I’m bookmarking it. I’ll be surreptitiously re-reading it when I think no one is looking. :heart:

2 Likes

Outstanding advice. Already saved it in a doc file for later lecture.
Thank you for sharing this :slight_smile:

1 Like