How is Coronavirus impacting you

The World Health Organization didn’t release a model that states a 30 to 70 percent infection rate. That is the truth. Spreading false information at this time (for what exactly?) is what is not nice.

Lol. Why is Big Rich always looking like he is about to grab someone by the cojones?

1 Like

Ok, this thread is getting out of hand. We don’t need to shout at each other or shout each other out.

The thread is … “How is Coronavirus impacting on you”

Everyday life is changing for everyone in the world. For me it seems to change day by day living in the United Kingdom. And it scares me. Not for me at the age of 60 who took early retirement for health reasons. But for my children and my grandchildren and all the vulnerable or dependent human beings in this world.

Can I please ask that you think about what you are going to write in this forum and especially on this thread before you start tapping on the keyboard.

Please try your best to be nice to one another at this difficult time. It’s what we all need

16 Likes

Omg. :rofl::rofl: I will use the tennis balls on my walker to throw at you.

11 Likes

@JGE

12 Likes

If you read back, that wasn’t her statement. It was:

(It would be nice to see this substantiated.)

I provided a potential source (CDC) on another of your challenged comments here:

I recognize tempers can flare, and we all seem to care about veracity of our facts. Please let’s follow Forum Rules and not get heated with each other while discussing this potentially volatile topic.

5 Likes

I think we can all agree it’s serious, many people will get sick, some severely and will die.

Does if really matter right now what the actual percentage may be (when it’s mainly guess work regardless and we wont know until the threat has passed)? The experts are advocating for self-isolation and strict hygiene practices. They are telling us that by doing so, the percentages of the illness will drop. That’s the only really important “data”.

3 Likes

Governments are operating with the low-end 30; high end 70 percent infection rate assumption. Canada’s minister of health has cited the number several times recently, as has the govenor of California and several European leaders and health officials including Angela Merkle.

They aren’t all randomly stating the same number. These people aren’t all irresponsible yahoos talking off the cuff.

It’s very, very much more contagious than the flu. And lots of people get the flu - around 30 percent global infection in a normal bad year. Far more will get this. It’s illogical to think otherwise of something that spreads easier, for more time, than the flu.

The CDC estimates that 9-45 million Americans get regular flu each year. Given that covid 19 is 2-3 times more virulent, 100 million us case is not extreme.

1 Like

6 new cases in the Middlesex-London area, Canada Ontario. Where I’m located.

3rd case ever in Canada was reported here back in February – student in her 20s who was asymptomatic and has recovered since. Probably how it started spreading here too.

Day 6 of working at home. Now at 8 days of social distancing. This morning I did a small trip to get groceries, came back home quickly. Still barely anything but now the stores are implementing restrictions on how of each item one person can buy, so I expect to see normalcy return when it comes to supermarket shelf stocking soon.

Got Animal Crossing New Horizons for Switch on the mail too, originally had it scheduled for store pick-up but luckily the local game shops here were very helpful in switching our preorder to online delivery. :+1: I’m not particularly into this game series myself, but wife sure is having fun (been hearing her while I’ve been working from home). I’ll probably join her for the multiplayer later.

A big thank you to @KiraSG, @Petri and all your development too for the gift today. Very much appreciated during these times.

7 Likes

If you continue reading back, she stated this:

It was her statement.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, panic buying and hoarding will continue, and it will ultimately lead to something far worse. It’s only a matter of time…

3 Likes

Can we also think about adding a thread about how the virus is affecting us in some good ways? There are people out there getting really damaged psychologically with everything being so black, but there have been some small patches of light we should not forget…
Already mentioned on this thread… Venice’s dolphins returning to canals, less air pollution etc

12 Likes

Explanation of the Corona Virus vs the Flu

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand.

It has to do with RNA sequencing. I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an all human virus. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year.

You get immunity two ways:

1. Through exposure to a virus.
  2. By getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals. The WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans. Then it’s a problem, Why?

Because we have no natural or acquired immunity. The RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now sometimes the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human. For years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human. Once that happens, we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, that’s what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be.

H1N1 was deadly but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too. Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus. It existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long, but one day at an animal market in Wuhan China in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people.

At first, only animals could give it to a person. But here is the scary part: in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”.

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a human virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, humans have no known immunity and doctors have no known medicines for it. And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way that it causes great damage to human lungs.

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.

This one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater. And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with: strain s, and strain L; which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine. We really have no tools in our shed, with this.

History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu. Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed (honestly, I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation.

And let me end by saying right now it’s hitting older folks harder. But this genome is so slippery, if it mutates again (and it will), who is to say what it will do next. Be smart folks. Acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.

#flattenthecurve.

Stay home folks and share this to those that just are not catching on.

7 Likes

2 weeks into this thread and I have seen the poll reflect just how many of those in our gaming community are being affected by Covid19 (it comes as no surprise as it is a global pandemic). I have appreciated all the support everyone has shown to each other and will continue to read all the updates you all provide. @PipefitterJim still hoping to hear that everything is okay with you. To anyone of the 9 others who have friends/family members affected I hope they make a quick recovery and to everyone else, we will get through this :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

8 Likes

Updated numbers for my area as of last evening:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Your post has excellent information and I’ve seen this original explanation.

Unfortunately a lot of players probably won’t take the time to read it as it’s written. It requires some editing and paragraphs breaks. I’m not sure if you’re wanting to spend the time doing that or not.

Hopefully players will wade through it because it’s very factual and informative.

Alternatively, I’ll again recommend players watch the excellent Netflix documentary called PANDEMIC. It really explains this virus!

7 Likes

This entire post is something that has been spreading on social media and various blogs that had been attributed to varying authors of different scientific backgrounds. It’s a copy and paste job; turns out the original source of this was found to be a Facebook post, so take from it what you feel like.

2 Likes

Watch the documentary! You will find these are proven facts as to how a novel virus mutates from animal to human, why we have no immunity to them, and what we can do to help stop the spread.

If you believe there are statements in the post that are proven wrong, please feel free to point them out. I don’t mind taking the time to source them for you.

2 Likes

It is unacceptable to downplay it as merely like influenza like what Indonesian MoH did. A lot of people in Indonesia didn’t take the virus threat seriously 2 weeks ago, I don’t know how much MoH’s statement contributed to it.

That fearmongering is scientific based. If people continue to defy quarantine measure, that will be what happen. Saying otherwise is dishonesty and misleading.

2 Likes

In NZ PM just announced country at alert level 2. So people over the age of 70 advised to stay home and limiting physical contact with others.

However my thoughts are with an alliance mate whose wife has gone into labour at this time. This should be a time of celebration. Blessings and bestest wishes @maldos04 :heavy_heart_exclamation:.

12 Likes

Cookie Settings