How is Coronavirus impacting you

Random rant here about the social distancing.

I’m all for social distancing. I don’t really like being surrounded by strangers even when there isn’t a global pandemic going on.

But anyway. Here’s my rant.

Here in 'Murica, we’re supposed to stay 6 feet (roughly 1.83 meters) apart from other people when we go out in public. I have no problem with that, more than happy to comply. Problem is? Most of our grocery store aisles are barely 6 feet wide. So if there’s another person in the aisle, you either have to wait for them to leave, or risk passing by them within the 6 foot radius.

On the one hand, I don’t want to get close to that person. On the other hand, I can’t stand there all day waiting for them to leave, because every minute I spend in that store, more and more people are walking by me and possibly exposing me to the virus. I just want to get in and out as quickly as possible, with as little exposure to others as possible. So I go into the store and go directly to the items I need, pick them up and move on.

I go to the store a couple days ago. Some jerk is standing right by the door as I walk in. He shoots me a dirty look and shouts, “hey, 6 feet buddy!”

Guy is standing less than 3 feet away from the cashier, right in the middle of the entrance to the store, and less than 2 feet away from his friend. He proceeds to take the receipt from the hand of the cashier.

I ignore him, quickly grab my items in the store, go up to stand in line for the cashier. There are placards on the floor placed 6 feet apart to tell us how far apart to stand from the others in line. Nice, right?

I finally get to the front of the line. Put my items on the counter for the cashier to scan. Pay with my credit card on the scanner machine, trying to keep my distance from the cashier through the whole transaction. The receipt prints out…

and the cashier HANDS me the receipt.

The same cashier who just previously handed a receipt to the aforementioned jumpy guy. And presumably 100 or so other customers before him.

:thinking:

Now call me crazy. I love the social distancing idea. I love the placards on the floor. I love that other customers are spacing themselves apart in line.

But if, at the end of the entire transaction, we’re still all coming into direct contact with the same cashier…

doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose of all the other precautions???

Anyway. Just felt like getting that out. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes