How do you decide limit breaking?

I was just looking over my own teams and levelling plans and was thinking to myself HMM - firstly, I have been very lucky to have several exciting hero projects to be working on currently. Secondly, I’m at a stage now where some of these lovely heroes will remain at 3^70/4^80 (materials needed), whilst the lucky ones get to go to 5^85.

It got me thinking though: :thinking: which heroes I would limit break and why, and so, what better place to come than the forums :smiley:

So ignoring all the business about 2nd aethers please! (as it is still WIP), I want to know:

1) New Heroes? :baby: or Old Heroes? :older_adult:

• Do you limit break your older heroes so that their stats can keep up with the latest and greatest?
  • Do you limit break your newer heroes so that you can stomp over everything?

2) Utility vs. Power

• If you have one hero that could synergise well, do you put more value there?
  • Do you prefer to just focus the raw power/defence?

Or alternatively… Do you just hoard? :dragon: :laughing:

My approach has been that… I will use my aethers, because you know what? I might as well get some enjoyment out of them, and having some strong heroes off the bat. But now, as I am starting to develop more roster depth, it’s leaving me with some tougher choices…

Looking forward to what your thoughts will be! :heart:

My roster for background

This is purely for context of my own situatiuon more than anything else, and I have hidden this because it’s not about trying to showcase anything, nor is it asking directly for hero advice. I just want a friendly discussion on the matter :slight_smile:

The first three heroes in each colour were pretty easy choices to LB, because that’s just what I had to work with. Option number 4 which I am levelling, you’ll see brings a lot of utility relatively speaking but does have some “older” heroes. The 5th hero, is the high power superstar that I have been lucky to pull, and the final row - I hope to replace Fogg with Green Knight (on launch) and Grazul with Hathor (when next featured), but it’s already turning into another round of superstars.

A small :pray: for c. Jabberwock who has been relegated after I pulled Aramis just now!

3 Likes

Out of courtesy to my alliance I LB my 5 strongest heroes so I can have a good war defence.

For myself, I first LB 4s I like so they can stay semi-competitive and an option for future use. But I don’t really LB that much because I’d rather build up my unlevelled 5s than top up an already built 5*.

2 Likes

I tend to wait until I see that a hero is particularly useful for me, then break him, particularly if I see a big benefit to strengthening him. Like I realized C-Gadeirus is a godsend for my blue titan scores (50% attack up + Boost HP over time), now I’m considering doing him. I have a lot hoarded, even though my tendency is to use things at once.

2 Likes

Pulling heros gets all the glamor. You’ve discovered that. You need to adjust your spending to meet the needs of the game. Pull less. Take some of that money you’re not spending on pulling and buy some AM, aethers and emblems. Good place to start is with the pheonix vip.

1 Like

In all honesty My view is that it’s down to individual play style ….
When LBs were first introduced a lot of players rushed to LB their defence heroes…
Others their strongest on offence …
But now you have to consider all this ongoing power creep and of course the potential nerfs and possible wasted aethers…
So my view now is to LB those heroes that you either use the most or that will be forever useful in your roster … that’s what I look at
Whichever heroes you choose good luck

9 Likes

Totally disagree with this. Your war defense has overall little impact in the outcome of one aspect of an alliance, wars. On the flip side out of courtesy to my alliance I LB my most fun/used heroes/useful heroes because:

• It’s a game and it should be fun. Enjoying the game means I stick around in the alliance longer and contribute more.
  • Improving my most used/useful heroes nets me more overall loot which contributes to my overall roster which pays dividends in wars, alliance quests, mythic titans, titans, monster island, etc etc

Totally agree on this point. C Mel, C Sabina, Gulli, Junaid, Proteus and a bunch of others have top level skills that can be utlisied in many places, and increasing their survivability in order to make use of those specials is a big boost to your roster

Overall I look at a particular skill and if that skill is vital/used often then I will enhance that skill and/or the hero that is carrying that skill, whether they are 4* or 5*, old or new.

5 Likes

Out of courtesy to my alliance I LB my 5 strongest heroes so I can have a good war defence.

As Homaclese said, I don’t know that I necessarily completely agree with this, since I have seen some very scuffed point splits in alliance wars… but, at trhe same time, I get it. I wouldn’t do it just for them though.

I tend to wait until I see that a hero is particularly useful for me, then break him

A good mentality! though, I get the most joy out of building teams, so therefore I tend to be rather impatient when it comes to trying to build up a hoard…! :smiley:

You need to adjust your spending to meet the needs of the game. Pull less.

I know that your “advice” doesn’t come from an ill-meaning place, but, as I mentioned I am certainly not looking for advice here - I was just curious about what people think about when they’re deciding to limit break a hero - whether it’s a practical solution, or a “go with your heart” response! :slight_smile:

But now you have to consider all this ongoing power creep and of course the potential nerfs and possible wasted aethers…

This is so true… and I mean, even already from the heroes that I have, I do actually regret limit breaking Kara. She will still find use I am sure, but I have just found her particularly underwhelming. I suppose at the time though, I didn’t have quite the same depth and roster to think about though!

• It’s a game and it should be fun. Enjoying the game means I stick around in the alliance longer and contribute more.
  • Improving my most used/useful heroes nets me more overall loot which contributes to my overall roster which pays dividends in wars, alliance quests, mythic titans, titans, monster island, etc etc

These are definitely fair considerations, and for me, I will likely be taking a similar approach where I will continue to break heroes as I have the materials available to me, particularly if I enjoy using that team or if it has a relatively high success rate in PvP/Wars etc.

One thing that is for sure though, is that very soon I will be taking a step back from my 5*'s to look more at my 4*'s and 3*'s again…

2 Likes

How I chose who to ascend:

1. LB heroes I use in war defences.
  2. LB heroes for 3* and 4* challenge event teams
  3. LB heroes I use in titan teams
  4. LB other heroes I use most often in attack teams (including 4* that give key capabilities).

I (almost) never LB a hero I just finished ascending, first I try them in the battle if they will synerize well with my teams.
The exceptions are heroes I chased or selected from FS/SE, where I know what they do and that they will be used.

If that legendary, so

1 attacker meta challenge
2 attacker with high attack stats and AOE
3 reviver / unique minion maker

But that rare epic
1 newer attacker
2 buffer

I have simple rule (applies to all rarities) - never LB a hero that’s not at +19/+20 emblems already.
This is primary filter. After that it really comes down to most used in any context I care about.
In hindsight, I’d say in case of hesitation, DO NOT LB - aethers are really rare, I wish I have waited a bit on these instead of limit breaking hero that’s just „ok”

2 Likes

Since I’ve never bought any aether, these materials are really scarce to me, that’s why I LB my most universal heroes, especially those who I think are ‘timeless’.

That being said I LB’d Lord Loki, to bump his stats, as his special is the most timeless of all. For the same reason, I LB’d Milena, as she’s one the most versatile hero in the game. Hawthorn also seems a guy, who will age well.

I also LB’d cLepus, Quennell, and Cupido, as fast, AoE or hit-three heroes are very valuable in all aspects of the game, especially in wars and events. Though they age more and more quickly because of the horrendous pace of power creep I still find them useful.

Back in the day I also LB’d Skadi, as she was a horrifying minion killer back then, to boost her attack, Inari who I find still very usable because of her dodge, Thor as I was in love with the guy, and Elizabeth, because I thought she was so great of a tank and overall hero that she will be valid for a long time. She aged not that well, however.

The same logic applies to 3* and 4*. Usually I LB heroes mostly for events and the most versatile (offense and defense) for tournaments.

I am reluctant to LB healers, as they usually have high defense stats and LB doesn’t help them in anything else and snipers, as they usually affect only one hero, so the overall impact of LB is low.

2 Likes
  1. Would this make a huge difference?
  2. Am I gonna use it often?

Yes+Yes=limit break

2 Likes

Great post! Personally most of it is how much I use the hero, and also how much I think they need it. Lord Loki is a perfect example…I use him a LOT and he is a bit frail and needs the extra bulk to survive. And I wouldn’t use him on defense so that’s not even in my mind.

I love to LB oft used 4 stars as well. Gotta say I use my Boldtusk, Sabina and Kiril in stacks sometime more than the five star of the same color.

One word of warning, I have been limit breaking useful 3 star heroes. Now my Gazelle costume sits waiting for 3 of those little holy aethers to get bulkier. I think making sure you have a decent amount of aethers for each color available is a shrewd move.

1 Like

My priority is always the heroes I use for attack. Sometimes those coincide with my defence but not always. I LB’ed C.Finley immediately on maxing him because I use him a lot – everywhere BUT defence. I also LB’ed Ariel as my very first LB hero because I use her everywhere including defence. But my defence is never my priority. It hasn’t changed in well over a year now.

Note I don’t have the latest and greatest heroes so often the ones I use a lot and LB are the old ones – like Joon and Elena and Lianna.

And yeah I have multiple LB’ed copies of the old S1 4* healers and dispellers.

2 Likes

I have not limit broken many of my 5* heroes, maybe 5 in total. Apart from EDD heroes, I simply limit break the 5* heroes I use the most (in most aspects of the game).

Just one gamer’s opinion

Game Well :sunglasses: :mechanical_arm: :wolf:

1 Like

I play a lottery. Lucky winner gets aethers

way, way, WAY back when aethers were first introduced into the game, i started with my 3* heroes because i knew from how emblems worked that those heroes would get the biggest bang for the buck in terms of resources. i also enjoy 3* tournaments, and i wanted to remain competitive in them; as a side benefit, it turned out that tournaments were one of the few free sources of aethers in the game, so feeding aethers to them worked out.

naturally, i progressed from my 3* heroes to my 4* heroes, and in both cases (rare and epic), i went for my max emblem (or +18 or +19 depending on whether i cared to get node 19 or 20 on a specific hero and class) heroes. i didn’t LB every single one of them though because at that point, the cost was becoming a factor (and i hadn’t even touched my 5* heroes yet), and i was paying more attention to which heroes hadn’t seen any action in a while even though i had them on the bench still.

because it was so cheap to limit break 3* heroes, i just used them on all the 3* heroes i could foresee myself using in tournaments and in other game modes (events, Mythic Titan, etc.). 4* heroes, i was still pretty lavish in how much i used them, but i didn’t really care to evaluate who was worth a LB until i got to my 5* heroes.

i forget exactly how long it took me, but it was months before i LB my first 5* hero, and not for lack of materials either. i had the resources available to me, but considering the pace of hero release, i knew there would be future 3* and 4* heroes i would want to LB, so i held off to save the aethers for future heroes. mind you, while i’m trying to decide which 5* heroes to LB, i reminded myself, “Dawn, you still haven’t even gotten a single 5* hero to +20 emblems yet.” this was at a point in the game where i was still regularly using +7 heroes because it was the best balance of emblem usage and talent acquisition (3/5 on the talent tree percentages). i didn’t want to spend so many emblems on 5* heroes since i was still having plenty of success in wars, even going against 4700-4800 teams with +7 5* heroes and 4* heroes.

i forget exactly when or why, but i put my first 5* hero to +20 emblems and not too long after LB her too. the hero? Norns! i love my Norns, and i use her in every facet of the game, especially wars and Mythic Titan.

so after this whole process, i take my time with 5* heroes, and i actually make myself figure out why i decide to LB one and not another. it was a little while before i LB my second 5* hero (iirc, Milena).

so to answer your question, the two big criteria i use:

• do i use this hero often enough already? what game modes? and within this, i’ll prioritize certain heroes over others if i use them in more game modes than a hero i use only once a month or something.
  • do i anticipate even needing to reset this hero’s emblems? not that this is perfectly foreseeable, but take Norns as an example: yes, she may be outclassed at some point by heroes with harder hitting specials or better stats, but i have so much fun with the elemental strength flip ailment, especially in events, and especially in Mythic Titans, that i really think she’ll be timeless.
3 Likes