HOTM...Who's man, who's woman? Bad design?

Not much more… there’s only 2.

1 Like

Hip to waist ratio, Adams Apple, levels of facial / body hair, if your elbow goes to 180 degrees or past (that’s a fun one try it with a group of men and women), where body fat is primarily carried…

I’m sure I have missed some but there are actually lots

But I’m not sure if any of these work on orcs

6 Likes

It’s actually Tim, the Small Giant Lead Game Designer, who said that during the March AMA, while addressing Grazul in particular:

7 Likes

When I’m not clued in by a beard or a metal bikini, I usually check the card description when I’m curious about whether a hero is a “lord” or “lady”… :wink:

11 Likes

Women can have beards, though, and men can wear metal bikinis (I’m wearing one right now in fact…)

19 Likes

I know this trips people up with Skittleskull whose gender is pretty vague at best. Most people would assume male due to that being the default assumption, but the description of “Bog Witch” is the main factor that most people go with.

And we’re not going to bring up the argument that Witches used to be both male and female in the 1800s, especially in Spain. That’s not a thing now.

I think the only other goblins we have are Carver and Needler, and with those three as a sample group, I’d say Goblins seem pretty homogenous and have no clear gender markers that we, as humans, can tell. EDIT: Oh right we also have Bauchan, but he’s clearly a he since…

He’s carrying his body fat primarily around the stomach area which tends to be more of a male trait. /endedit

So if the OP was asking what gender Skittleskull is, that’d make more sense, but Grazul is clearly a female, so I’m a bit mystified.

2 Likes

You’re just finding exceptions that prove the rule. Not a valid argument. :no_good_man:

3 Likes

I can never tell if Ares is a man, woman or just a robot.

3 Likes

Just because it isn’t valid, doesn’t mean it isn’t an argument.

This is the internet, right? I mean, if you’re going to start insisting that everything on the internet has to be valid, we might as well shut the whole thing down.

5 Likes

Historically, the god Ares was considered male, and we’re making a lot of assumptions based on head to body ratio and shoulder to hip ratio. Also description says “God” of War which isn’t Goddess of War, though that -ess suffix to denote feminine gender has fallen out of favor recently.

But yes, it’s totally plausible that Ares could just be a set of light bulbs inside an empty armor suit. Like Ed from Full Metal Alchemist.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stop making me spit up my hot cocoa! :grin:

6 Likes

Well I certainly can’t force anybody to propose valid arguments even if I was a heavy-handed mod (which I’m not nor want to be), and people will do what they will. Perhaps it would’ve been better to add “Alright… and your point is?”

Soo… and your point is? :wink:

4 Likes

Who of you really thinks this is a male—and not female—orc? Just curious…

14 Likes

She isn’t my type but those hips don’t lie

6 Likes

LOL well I’m trying to avoid a whole debate about gender identity and whatnot, but basically I’m saying that you probably shouldn’t just assume a person’s gender based on appearance alone, because looks can be deceiving.

6 Likes

I know right, anyone seen Madonna lately?

4 Likes

You know my first post in this thread and second after OPs was basically making the same argument about how cup size is not the be-all-end-all to denote gender, so I guess we’re ultimately on the same page. Go team rocket!

5 Likes

Cup size is meaningless. I’ve known several heavyset males who could easily fill out a bustier. In fact, if I don’t go on a diet soon, I might end up there myself.

8 Likes

If I saw her on the street I’d probably say “what’s up, dude?”

2 Likes

Holy crap. How old is she now?

I mean, I used to have muscles like that… but I’ve been getting lazy in my older years. I wouldn’t challenge her to an arm wrestling contest, that’s for sure.

Those guys next to her, are they her bodyguards, or is she their bodyguard?