Hoarding mats because of new heroes

So I’ve always been a hoarder.

The new Event Heroes and HOTM actually give me greater cause to hoard mats because there’s now absolutely no point levelling classic heroes that are vastly inferior, unless you absolutely have no choice.

I have a decent stock of staple or farming heroes now so I don’t have “absolutely no choice” and would prefer to wait it out until the odds are in my favour.

Anybody here feel the same way or are otherwise a hoarder?

Interested to hear, thanks

@Rigs
@algeco
@SirGorash
@Duaneski

3 Likes

Any defense can be beaten. So no reason to hoard in order to make some sort of “amazing” defense.

Any defense can be beaten with 4* heroes. So no reason to feel 5* classics are inferior in any way, either offensively or defensively.

Hoarding doesn’t sound fun. Best heroes are the ones you have.

Having a difficult time acquiring 5* heroes, even TC20 heroes, only to not use them because you wait until you get luck and summon some hero you think is at the cutting edge of power creep may be your prerogative, but it’s certainly not my idea of an enjoyable gaming experience.

8 Likes

I personally don’t like hoarding materials, because mostly I am an F2P player, so 5 stars are difficult to come by. So I just go with the flow and max whoever is available. I have a maxed Justice and Thorne, as they were my only 5 stars at that time, and I don’t ever regret ascending them because they have helped me to stay in diamond and even reached Global rank 1 recently. Because at the end of the day, a 5 star hero is strong no matter what. And in order to beat all the monstrous defense teams I need atleast a few 5 stars mixed with 4 stars to take on them. If I had hoarded my gaming experience would not have been so fun and I am sure I would have quit at some point. I like to play the hand that I have been dealt, rather than waiting for something I might never have. If I get a good hero in the future, I will just patiently accumulate the required mats again. That’s just my philosophy. :slight_smile:

But, maybe in the future if I have the luxury of having a few 5 stars maxed in each colour, I might become a haorder, in anticipation of getting something better, but the chances of that happening will be quite low, since with zero budget the chances of getting a good hero is almost nil, although I have been lucky with ACs previously (Tarlak and Ariel). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It certainly isn’t but I’d argue the concept of “You play the hand you are given” as @Kerridoc has put it before only extends to a certain point.

The saying is true enough for a beginner to mid level player.

I’ll ascend enough 5* to do the daily grind eg farm rare quests and events and that’s it.

There’s no utility in ascending others.

Of course… That drum has been beaten for some time now but surely it is common knowledge that some defences are harder to beat than others eg those that have Kunchen, Black Knight and Guin.

The “any defence can be beaten” motto equates to classic hero holders relying on luck more than anything else to break through.

Because the gap is too large and luck is all we have.

Of course there is strategy for sure for those lacking the heavy hitters but having better heroes reduces the luck required to beat those superstar teams.

When you face a sea of Kunchens in war there is little utility in ascending some of the classic heroes pulled.

You need the Ariels and Grazuls to stand a better chance

2 Likes

I’m a little bit of a hoarder. I don’t think too bad though but I do. My worst is purple where I have like 18 tabards. My problem is though I only have 3 obakans. I already have one leveled. Green I have enough tonics to level two but will do one soon (hopefully Kingston). Red I don’t have enough rings. Blue I probably will raise Richard soon since I have like 10. Yellow I think I’m shy. So yes I do hoard a little, but don’t necessarily recommend it. Do what I say, not what I do.

1 Like

We are up to 11 Kunchens, and face more purple teams now. 96-98k war score area. I’m dying for more yellows to the point where I’m considering another Chao!

The severe lack of four star yellows combined with the poor selection of attacking classic 5 stars makes it even worse. I have a Justice, a Leo, and a Viv… I’d take multiple Joon, but 1/4 isn’t good. I’m swimming in orbs (70 or so I think?) So I’d love to see some yellow 4 stars… thought season 2 might bring something better than Danza.

2 Likes

I’ve been holding out on using tonics, waiting for Kingston to come… still waiting for SG to fix him.

2 Likes

As I stated in an other topic, I am waiting for the possibility to get the S2 Heroes or old Hotm in Tc.
This day will never come soon apparently and the fun is slightly going for me so I’m hoarding for nothing surely :rofl:

I know it’s maybe wise to play the hand you have but I just don’t want to waste my mats if a better opportunity come. Joon, Viv, Lianna, Richard…

I am leveling Khagan, Domitia and Elena. Not sure wich red first yet… :grin:

2 Likes

Marjana is the finger to put a ring on it.

2 Likes

I have already one :wink:
2 of her and I could loose my mind lol

1 Like

Elena is good for titan tile damage… until you get reds with higher tile damage. A sniper you can always use.

1 Like

I were a hoarder, then I realized that I had a lot of ascension materials and not so many heroes to ascend, so I ended up ascendeding Quintus, Domitia, Leonidas, Thorne, Khagan…

Still holding my tonics, Elkanen and Horghall are still at 3.70 but there are so many good green heroes that anyone else would be an improvement over them.
The last hero I ascended were Isarnia (not regretting) and the next one will be Grazul.

Interesting topic :slight_smile:

I am not hoarding 5* on purpose. I’ve got enough mats to ascend another of each 5*, but the limiting factor for me is feeder heroes as much as anything else. I would ascend Isarnia and Khagan, but need to have feeders for them and I don’t at this point.

I’ve got a backlog of TC 4* heroes and an unleveled Merlin that I want to level… so I’ve got like 20-30 of each 3* AM waiting around collecting dust :stuck_out_tongue: but ya know it’s not that I want to hoard it’s just not making enough stuff to feed them I guess?

I plan out my mats typically 2 to 3 months before i use them. With all the foreseeable guaranteeds mapped out, along with pulls for new addition(beta heroes), or current release heroes i want that i dont have, and also pre plan a fall back if i dont get the hero i want but will have enough mats to max a hero i already have

But that is just me

I don’t typically hoard just to hoard anymore. I used to when i wasn’t spending as regularly, i would just make due with heroes i have maxed while i waited for 1 i didnt. Think i got up to 18 darts before i pulled drake vivica and joon in the same month.

1 Like

Do more pulls during Guardians. Jackals are really good vs purple tanks

1 Like

I am actually slowing down my use of 4* unfarmable mats. With S3 coming next year at some point, the new event heroes, etc etc, I am doing a bit of wait and see. I want to build up a bit of a net so I can go hard for those heros and power level them.

I have a bench good enough to carry me into the top 10 and get b loot on most of the 12* titans we face. My D keeps me in diamond and while not as deep as I would like to be for war, it is good enough for now.

I will be focusing on 5* to 3/70 and 4* to max for now as a rule. Exceptions are heroes that plug a specific hole for me or are “game changers” like elemental def downers that I dont have, or Finley who i just pulled.

1 Like

I’m strictly F2P and I will say I hoard a little too. I got my Ranvir to 3/70 and decided not to max him (even though I have the mats) simply because I want to use them on a different hero. I don’t see much use in ascending him because his SS is already 8/8. I will say, though, I have an Azlar at 3/70 that I will be taking to max. I have always hoarded mats in games because of the “I will use this later for something better” but at some point you just have to say screw it and use them.

2 Likes

Sometimes I wish I had hoarded mats as I’ve maxed quite a few heroes that just aren’t as useful as I wanted/expected or they’ve been replaced by better options (tarlak and arthur types)… I currently have 3 green heroes I’d love to max but have 0 tonics so they’ll be sitting ther for… I don’t know… a year, maybe longer… it’s a bit silly how hard it is to get a 5 star and then you can’t even use them for… well… maybe ever. I’d love to see the option to reset a hero … maybe make it a super rare drop but… I assume that won’t happen as they want us mat thirsty it seems.

1 Like

I would pay them a $100 bill to let me reset perseus… I hate him so much…

4 Likes

I’m not a spender, so I don’t hoard. I ascended Margaret as soon as I got the tonics (then Gregorion came over two weeks after, lol). but no regrets, Maggie is my only maxed 5* Green and has helped me win quite a few raids on offense.

As a non-spender, I can’t afford to hoard unless the 5* sitting in front of me is really crap. I would think twice about, say, Mok-Arr for example (I would only go mono against an opponent who also uses mono). But otherwise it’s just a choice of who to ascend…

1 Like