Hit/affect nearby heroes change to hit/affect three heroes max with V42

So in the original design on map levels they only hit 3? Hmm :thinking:

Was this desing ever live in the game? I have only 3 years playing E&P and Iā€™m sure that ā€œtarget and nearby enemiesā€ always hit 5 enemies in PVE maps with double formations.

Was it different in live game before?

As far as i remember (more than four years playing) it was always so that all nearby enemies were affected. This means, in map stages with bosses surrounded by four mobs, all were affected when the boss was targetted.

actual beta test
What i finally found in a mob stage in an M-formation (numbering from left to right):

• selecting center hero (3) - heroes 2, 3, 4 will be hit (eg by Gravemaker)
  • selecting hero 2 - heroes 1, 2, 3 were hit (and vice versa for hero 4)
  • selecting hero 1 - heroes 1, 2 were hit (and vice versa for hero 5)

Now it gets a bit strange:

• after center hero (3) is dead and selecting hero 2, only heroes 1 and 2 are nearby and were hit (vice versa for hero 4)

Hence, the heroes/mobs are more or less considered to be aligned in a straight line and when one is missing in the middle, the others might be not nearby, although they look very much alike. :crazy_face:

I wonder how Sir Roostley acts in a situation where the hero 3 is dead in those maps? If someone can check, S2 18-1 is a possible map stage.

1 Like

I like the move. But Iā€™ll always vote for the option to reset limit breakers if they make changes that affect your decision.

2 Likes

I am opening this topic for all ppl to know that in v.42 change to double and reverse double is changed.
Mod please confirm this.

Map heroā€™s wonā€™t matter they in a different dimensions iv been toldā€¦

I would like to have a reason why this is being changed how long has this formation stuff been out quite a while.
Sure this is how it was designed in beta but introduced into live game, why not try both versions when formations was bought out.

1 Like

I would definitely welcome this change. It will make a few too strong defenders on par.
Sif is not a problem on her own in the current meta at least for me, but LOTL has been a extreme pain.
Also the dual buffers, Sif and BK or Sif with Krampus basically is a iron wall.
From offense perspective it wont be a huge step back. But a step back to the older way of game play

I see no reason to change this. The only reason I can think of is the fact we wrongly call them ā€œhit threeā€ The description is clear, the mechanic does exactly that. They hit targets and near by, It always worked like this on maps and nobody even noticed it before it apllyed to raids. Since the first double formation mob wawe was introduced in Atlantis, nobody had a problem with this. Why change it now? It is far from being broken and it works both ways.

8 Likes

Finally, S2 18-10 has Kageburado boss with four mobs and it works as described above with Kage being assigned as hero 3.
It feels very odd, that after the front two mobs (ie heroes 2 and 4) are killed, none of Kage and his two remaining mobs are considered nearby at all - although they look very much alikeā€¦ :crazy_face:

I can already see the flood of bug reports when this goes live. :roll_eyes:

I always thought of this as the trade-off for raid formations. Double and reverse double lessened the importance of a top-flight tank and made for a generally sturdier formation, but it was vulnerable to serious damage from the ā€œand nearbyā€ heroes. So, you pick your poison. On the flip side, heroes like Sif and Brynhild can really be dangerous in these defenses because their buffs extend to all defenders. I limit broke my Brynhild first - over a host of other good green options - for specifically this reason. Extending ā€œand nearbyā€ to hit/buff all in these formations seemed like a really good way to get more heroes involved in raids both ways. (My Thorne and Khagan certainly enjoy seeing double and reverse double defenses.)

Meanwhile, the top dogs seem to have moved on to reverse formations as being more effective anyway. So who asked for this again? What problem are we trying to solve?

Maybe having more heroes who are viable on defense cut into summoning profits for ā€œthe next Telluriaā€ tanks. Itā€™s always about money, isnā€™t it?

8 Likes

Iā€™ve not bothered with a single raid formation on my defence. Iā€™ve always used standard.

Since I have BK, I probably should try it out. :rofl:

1 Like

I donā€™t have Sif. But I certainly think SG should refund aethers to those who limit broke Sif (or any other hero for that matter) specifically for raid formations.

But then again, how can SG tell if a hero was limit broken for raid formation? This is a tough situation for sure.

At this point, this is a known quantity, and I feel like it balances itself: the advantage you get to using Sif or Zulag is balanced by the risk of people bringing cAzlar or Faline against you. It adds an element of strategy to the game which really helps raids be less monotonous. If they do this, everyone will switch to reverse formations, which would be boring.

The only reason I can think of for this is that some of the stupidly OP heroes they are testing like Ludwig and Quenell would be even more game breaking with this mechanic. So instead of fixing their heroes, they are changing the mechanic.

2 Likes

I donā€™t get why this might be considered a nerf to Sif? She was out long before formations were and it was only because of formations that suddenly a lot of people ascended her.

However Iā€™ve been using Sif since before formations and sheā€™s very very good in raids already. Since thatā€™s where we actually get to use our heroes thatā€™s where it really matters and this changes nothing to do with that.

Sadly the formations have highlighted some very strong combinations that might not be working as intended. Iā€™m fine with that, I donā€™t care what formation is out.

IMHO a nerf is only a so if it affects your play with them. Telluria got a nerf, it changed her offencive use in raids, tournaments and wars.

Changing a formation doesnā€™t really change how Sif works when Iā€™m using her so all good as far as Iā€™m concerned

1 Like

all ā€œhit nearbyā€ heros are being nerfed when their cards are adjusted to ā€œhit nearby max threeā€ itā€™s the literal definition of a nerf, their power is being reduced, albeit only in certain situations.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a nerf if they existed this way before the formations did.

You could say this is a nerf to Khagan then.it absolutely isnā€™t. He was hit 3 before the formations, why does it matter thatā€™s he still hit 3 now??

Is it the card that will be changed? I thought the game mechanics ā€¦

Iā€™m 100% sure you get it, you just are a bit too stuborn to admit it out loudā€¦ in few words, Sif is buffing 5 heroes under current condition. If the mechanics get changed, sheā€™ll only buff three, drastically reducing her in the process, which is the exact deffinition of a nerf. Of course, not a direct nerf, but still, a 40% decrease in effectivnessā€¦ we can play with words, or consider hard facts. Sif is the name that came to mind, but there are many others that will be affectedā€¦

1 Like

No, he never was ā€œhit 3ā€. Thatā€™s a made up tag, by the players. His card always said target and nereby.

It nowhere sais target and the two closest enemies.

4 Likes

Which essentially until formations came out was ā€œHit 3ā€ in all PVP interactions that was ā€œHit 3ā€

Literally a few map stages suddenly made him hit all and then when the new formations came out he and many others were the lucky recipients of the double and reverse double.

Now until Sif got a starring roll the best formation was reverse. There was a massive skew back over to the M & W defences due to some very good heroes suddenly becoming rock stars.

I ran the W with Sif in the middle for a whileā€¦the amount of cups it won on its own was silly. Sometimes it would win 10+ times in a row. I canā€™t imagine it was a lot of fun and since itā€™s passive and not involving me in the slightest why is there an issue?

And I have lots of heroes suddenly impacted. Iā€™m fine with it, it just means hit all heroes are still the only ones with that trick and now we have to maybe rethink the formations we use.

I went back to a reverse as soon as I heard. I still donā€™t drop below 2600 very often so makes very little difference to my passive defence.

For raiding it just means I need to consider my teams for the formation again.

Why it needs yet another angry mob I have literally no ideaā€¦