Heroes with Asian names are mostly holy/"yellow"?

So how do you know Vivica is Asian?

1 Like

Not arguing that the game isn’t racist. Lack of diversity in the characters drawn and white washing of Li and Chao point to, at least an unconscious bias.

However, gross generalisations harm an argument and are easy pickings to disprove.

I find it interesting that in this day and age we are still categorizing ppl and characters by their race; this thread has used racist language to call out racism…

4 Likes

How do you know Chochin is Asian? Or Khagan? Don’t be glib.

What racist language was used?

Khagan skill is Khan’s Order, Khan is Mongolian Royal title.

Chochin = Japanese paper lantern

13 Likes

I think there is no question that the majority of S1 holy heroes are “Asian”. Sure, you can pick out a handful of ones that aren’t, and you can pick out a handful of “Asian” heroes that are other elements. Most of the examples given are also S2/S3 heroes, clearly afterthoughts by E&P. It’s still unquestionable that the majority are stereotypically “Asian”- that’s why this conversation has come up time and again.

Like so many other controversies pertaining to stereotypes (e.g. racism), everyone has their own ways of perceiving it- some will take offense (particularly those that are more prideful or activist toward their culture or group), some won’t. I don’t personally see any negativity in grouping Asians together into a group of heroes and it happening to fall into the “yellow” color. I mean let’s be real here- what other color would you make it?

The whole “yellow” stereotype started because Far-East Asians tend to have tanner (but not quite brown) skin than other ethnicities (Europeans, Americans, etc). I’ve even compared with my friends and it’s noticeable. Asians have referred to THEMSELVES as “yellow” historically in culture in a non-negative way. Yet somehow, once “racism” became more prominent in other ethnicities, extremist Asians decided to be more offended by it (even though we had already been using the word!).

So everyone can choose to offended by whatever they want- I’m proud to be yellow. #holypower

17 Likes

True.

2 Likes

I appreciate your thought out and nuanced response, Anonymous. I merely wanted to re-(it’s been brought up many times before) raise this issue and have some constructive dialog on the topic. I am far from the first person to raise this issue.

2 Likes

If you want to FIND something to be offended by, in this day and age, it is easy to do. The internet affords us the ability to see how others live in their own countries. Things that are “normal” in another culture, are not necessarily so in yours. However, it is not someone else’s right to tell another how to live. There is enough information in this world, available via the internet, that a person can choose their own way regardless of the “norms” within their own society. Perhaps it is time for people to quit pushing their personal agendas onto others and let others get on with their lives in a way that is satisfactory for them?

Looking for “issues” will guarantee you to find them - and guarantee that you will always be unhappy with what you see.

13 Likes

Thanks for your contribution, GlockTori. I wouldn’t say that there’s any deliberate effort to seek out offense - quite the contrary, to identify microaggressions, whether deliberate or unintentionally, and bring them to the fore in the event they can be critically discussed and potentially addressed.

2 Likes

While I do agree with this point,

this sounds a bit too relativist to me. I mean surely if something is atrocious, then it can/should be called out as being an atrocity. Or if phrased differently, I would hope that people (including myself) would have strength and principles not to accept anything and everything with a laissez faire mindset.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve addressed that season 1 heroes were classed one way, then acknowledged that it’s shifted with season 2 and 3. So is this thread to point out the progress?

3 Likes

As an American with strong Finnish heritage, I’m saddened that not one single reference to a properly-pronounced sauna is found in the game. :frowning:

We’re living in the days of the manufactured controversy. I hope it ends soon. Maybe people need to find something more constructive to do with their time and energy.

Good gaming!

9 Likes

I’ve acknowledged no such thing, but ‘progress’ raises a really good point.

What should SGG and other content creators strive to be mindful of? Inclusivity, diversity, and sensitivity. This is a wordwide game and we here all love it and to that end I don’t see the harm in broaching the issue of potential blindspots (erring on the side of unintentional).

1 Like

Vivica, Justice and Leonidas thank you!

2 Likes

Right, how could I forget Leonidas :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well, I just think it’s cool how you’ve called out the racism against Asians, and then when Asians said they don’t think it’s racist that you were able to shut them down and tell them they’re wrong.

Asians are lucky to have you two to defend the racism you see that they don’t see or feel.

12 Likes

I invite you to come to Los Angeles and call my Asian friends yellow. We’ll see how that works out :yum:

2 Likes

:grimacing: I didn’t know that a few commentators could speak to the panoply of cultures, perspectives, and opinions of “Asians” as if they were a monolith.

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s a good thing you’re there to speak for them.

1 Like