Hero Costumes Discussion

I am going to rant after I share some ideas:

1. don’t sell costumes for gems, or limit their sale so that everyone has a roughly equal chance of getting them.
  2. costumes should only be for tc20 heros.
  3. why do we have to level them? you just get them and put them on a fully leveled hero and your hero gets a new special, and i guess if you insist, some stat boosts.
  4. since the paths are different for different classes, once you have a costume, you choose it’s emblem path without spending any emblems. you can go as far down the tree as you want, but you can’t go back up without resetting (will describe). then when you put the costume on, the path is filled up to whatever level emblems the hero has in their original class. if you want to reset this path, you have to reset the hero’s regular path first, and then you will be asked to reselect your costume emblem tree.

I’ve just learned about this. It would be great if these gave FTP players an opportunity to keep up, but everything this game has done since season 2 is only widening the gap between FTP and PTP. This game used to have an AMAZING balance between the 2 worlds because there were certain things that were essential that you couldn’t buy (namely level 4 ascension materials). but with the sale of emblems, the overpowering of monthly heros and season 2 heros, and now costumes for sale? Your greed is ruining this game. Congrats on all the money tho

11 Likes

Just another F2P here to record my extreme displeasure with this development. I was hoping that if costume quests were the only way to get costume keys, that the quests would occur more frequently or that the number of keys would be increased (or both). One summon per month for F2P? Help me contain my excitement. :roll_eyes:

Yeah, if I didn’t still need Proteus and Wilbur from S2. Now that I’m done with S2, gems are my only hope of drawing them. I was able to do more than one summon per month with Atlantis coins to get them (for a while, at least), but I still don’t have them. That just underscores how bad the odds are for F2P to get anything useful out of the costume portal with so few pulls.

Exactly. I am kind of OK with knowing that I will never have Guin or Seshat or whatever. But now, I kind of don’t even have the TC20 heroes that I have. Waited months to pull Boldtusk from TC20. He shows up… finally, I have Boldtusk! I max him, but I don’t really have Boldtusk yet, because I don’t have Boldtusk +20, the one with better stats and a 20% chance to revive. So I play the class quest game, which I actually really enjoy, btw. Now my Boldtusk is at +19, so I almost have Boldtusk. For real this time. And it took some grinding, but I don’t mind, because trading time for money is the name of the game for F2P. So, cool.

But now here comes costumes, so I still won’t really have Boldtusk when I have him at +20, because I won’t have the Boldtusk with 5% better stats and who can change hero classes by wearing a stupid hat. To really have Boldtusk, now I need to hope that I pull the stupid hat on my one summon each month. Given how many pulls it took me to pull the original Boldtusk from TC20 (with the same odds as pulling the stupid hat, btw), that might happen before my kids graduate college. Maybe. (The youngest is in kindergarten.) In some ways, I now have less on my roster than I had before costumes.

This unfortunately seems to be the most succinctly accurate post in the bunch so far. :frowning_face:

32 Likes

So… If you aren’t paying the developers for gems to perform summons… you will be able to do 14 summons per year with the keys from the special quest… That’s 7 every 6 months…

I have VIP and I do buy gems during events, so I’m not sure how many gems can be earned per month by someone playing purely without spending… regardless… spending on costumes would mean not having those gems for summoning heroes… the free players have to choose between uses for the gems…

Imagine what would be thought of the costume system if it were impossible to summon costumes with gems, and if the keys were never for sale in the store… basically imagine if the keys from the quest were the only way to get costumes… how pointless would the costume system then be?

14 costume summons per year… that’s it… imagine if you could only summon 14 heroes a year…

The difference between how heroes are treated, and how costumes are treated, suggest to me that costumes are meant only for players who spend money. The feature will be all but pointless for those who do not spend much/any money in the game.

8 Likes

You’re right i forgot about alchemy lab

Tourneys still suck though
Bogus matchmaking, crap rules, crap loot, bugs galore, blah blah blah

5 Likes

The “Have” here, is another word for maxed (to full potential).

Your experience echoed my sentiment as for the duration of when I played this game.
Boldtusk is an excellent example, he was the “do you a solid if you pull him hero” or one of the Must Haves. When I started playing and couldn’t pull any 4* to save my life, I thought, just wait until TC20, then I can get my chance at him. And then, just wait until I max him out ar 4^70, then I’d have the cornerstone of my roster, defense/offense.

Then Emblem came along, and he is no longer maxed sitting at 4^70, well, I must get him up to speed then. Oh, believe you me, I ignored all of my other Fighters and got him to +20 pronto using only in-game Emblem acquisition methods without spending. Finally, I can be proud of having a Boldtusk (talent node difference with other players notwithstanding).

Now, with costumes, he is no longer “maxed” again, there is definitely that sense of defeat and deject. What’s next, oh, you can now get more than one costume, so no longer just Chef Boldtusk, it would be Construction Foreman Boldtusk, Office Worker Boldtusk, and Boldtusk in Santa Claus beard and suit?

12 Likes

Or buy more roster space. Or use high level alchemy lab levels. Or continue in raid tournaments. Or skip chest cool downs. Or buy gem-based store offers (I actually bought an orb of magic once). Or speed up build times. Or… or… or…

Not saying all of these are priorities for F2P players, but there are enough things competing for our scarce gems as it is.

10 Likes

Yes, a must-have for sure, which is why it was so frustrating not to have him or Kiril for such a long time. Those dudes are straight game-changers. And now, Wilbur and Proteus seem to be in that category, and I don’t have either of them. Difference is, I can’t get them through TC20, and I can’t get Atlantis coins reliably since finishing S2. Maybe enough for one summon a month or so. (Hey, sounds like costume keys!) If I read one more event thread about how “this is so easy with Proteus”, I think my head will explode!

Same. My Poseidon is still angrily sitting at +1 while he watches Boldtusk gobble up all my fighter emblems.

Ugh. Please don’t give SGG any ideas. And they couldn’t even be cool, like Deathbringer Boldtusk with a sickle and black hooded robe. They’d have to be like Gardener Boldtusk or Ballroom Dancing Boldtusk. Sheesh.

13 Likes

I’d really like Santa not in a Santa suit. His inclusion is another hole in the already patchy mythology.

4 Likes

Let me introduce you to my good friend, Alchemy Lab

10 Likes

I must apologize first for at least having pulled a Wilbur during when S2 was still being released. However, you are not alone in the No Proteus Club, brother. Yes, I said in the F2P rebellion thread that I don’t really care much for those strategy threads any more, because somewhere in there, and it won’t be just one, is the obligatory-to-show up Oh! I did it easily with Proteus “strategy.” Never fails. Most of my alliance mates are swimming in Proteus or Proteii (or whatever the plural for Proteus is) is also not something easy to swallow every time strategic discussions come up.

Ditto on the Atlantis Coin situation, all the guaranteed Atlantis Coins and the season completion reward coins went on to summon no S2 5* and I am still short of 3 4* Atlantis Heroes (Danza, Triton, and Proteus). I can most likely muster one 100 Atlantis coin summon each month (sometimes I had to get enough through Sea Dragon hunting, just to meet that goal). But still mostly duplicate S1 and S2 3* - 4* I already have. At the “very” least, Atlantis coins could come in trickles from chests, rare titans, etc… But not Challenge Coins or Costume Keys, oh no, if they do, SGG will be terrified that players will be swimming in them…

In a joint collaboration with Gardensc#pes, they decided to release a Boldtusk with a bald shaved head, shirt, bow tie, and trousers with suspenders.

Seriously, this all wouldn’t even be a heated discussion if they are just “Re-Skins” (e.g. no stat altering, no leveling, but pure aesthetic only). I feel like the company thought they couldn’t make enough on avatars and pins (or rather, they missed out on the chance to make avatar and pins be anything but aesthetic and too late to change that) and are looking for any way to get more $$. A simple re-skin would still earn them some $$, but stat altering with RNGesus on their side… Oh man oh man, look at the smile on their collective faces.

6 Likes

They could give us two quests within those 48 hrs please. Then it would be more interesting for FTP. Or else it will be like waiting for 2years until a useful legendary costume drops by using keys only. Let’s reduce it to one year :joy:

I’m sure that they are currently hard at work constructing your request for a bevy of Boldtusk costumes. Here’s a sneak peek!

PS. What sane person would like the ‘Kagome version’ better, anyways? :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

That’s what i feared, and obviously it becomes the sad truth. Once per month and no other ways to get keys for free.
Pretty much another forced payment to make worth something that suppose to be free.

It is even more cheeky of Alchemy lab.
Now i understand why they didn’t mention in beta how many keys we could get for free.

Honestly, it is a joke.
If you want 1 event per month, make keys avalaible in every kind of loot at least.

I don’t even know how you can be like this guys.
Rather then improve FROM mystakes, you improve your mystakes?

18 Likes

The same people who finds Kagome yelling “Osuwari!” to Inuyasha funny time after time after time.

1 Like

Is it Already known how many Keys are rewarded for completing the quest?
I hope 5 or more?
I have No Idea as f2p player how much we can summon per month/year?

1 Like

6 in total, according to the beta thread (with all the caveats that apply, q.v.):

1 Like

I am bordering on indifferent/not giving a damn on this all. I was kinda excited about costumes when I first heard about them. I will do the quests and get keys (hoard keys) to use, but I am reluctant to spend gems for the chance to get something I’ll never use. This will just be another useless lackluster ongoing/monthly quest.

The odds are more against me on pulling Legendary costumes for heroes I have, since I only have two of the Legendary heroes. And the odds of summoning any of the other heroes is so bad, I will not fall down the spend spend spend spend spend path trying to chase that damn rabbit.

I have all of the rare and epic heroes that will have costumes available… But this looks like a setup for more crap in inventory.

7 Likes

So I am most likely at this point maybe only going to get 3, but depending on the monsters I guess… But also I could do what we do in Trials and Nuke 'em on the Stage 3 lol.

I’d love to get all 3 every time they are out, otherwise having 3 and having to wait for the next month will be frustrating and just make me cheesed off

3 Likes

I agree. This is stupid and if it’s bad I’ll have to quit as well! Smh

These costumes look ridiculous!

2 Likes