Hero concept

So I made a whole group of these concept heroes. (The characters illustrarion are not mine. I’ve mentioned the credits.)

The 5 stars:

1. Ice: Corianne
    She will be good at titan and events, I guess. Not quite useful in raid defense maybe but the likely permanent heal could be OP, but she’ll definitely be awesome at raid offense.

2. Green: Eva
    I’d think that 420 damage for 3 enemies per skill is quite decent. She also has Aeron’s skill only without the heal, but with wider range. Good stats for defense.

3. Dark: Melovene
    It’s time to make it easier to kill Guinevere and with very fast mana, Melovene will likely cast her skill first. Her attack skill ignores all enemies’ buff defense, counter, etc. The skill also introduces a new concept where the target will not get any effect from buffs (the ones with specific icons on the character). So, heal over turns will just not work. Element Link gives 20% mana taken by Gui back, although in 4 turns.

The 4 stars:
4. Holy: Nian Zhen
She will debuff you crazily, but she will gamble on it! So, basically Wu Kong, but a debuff. Not sure how this is going to work.

1. Fire: Elysse
    The first healer in the game with fast mana. Only heals nearby allies, but she also got a new kind of buff: +20% damage. So, if you damage raw 420, the target will get +84 right after that. Only to Nature enemies.
1 Like

On the “create a gem” skill (most of us call those special tiles gems, not asterisks), the trouble, how does it work on defense? Many wouldn’t be willing to invest in a 5* that lost an important ability on defense.

An alternative might be “Frostbite”: convert (all? Random number?) Nature tiles into Ice tiles. This would work well on either side of the board: on offense, you’re creating more tiles that leverage the reduced defense against ice; on defense, you’re removing tiles that do the most damage to ice heroes.

The addition of the attack/defense buffs is WAY overpowered. Drop that and extend the Ice weakness to 5 rounds.

5 Likes

The attack/defense buff has been changed btw. So the attack buff is gone.

The idea of converting nature gems actually came across my mind, could work really well too with a formation with three blue heroes or so. The idea of special tiles does intrigue me more though cause of its potential on offense, which might still appeal even without a strong role on raid defense.

@Kerridoc what about the other heroes? I updated the bunch.

• Melovene: 300% isn’t nearly strong enough. Fast snipers get about 58% per tile, and the impact of higher attack % is nonlinear, so I think she’ll have to be at least 375% to be effective. I like the “bypass buffs” idea a lot. The “put buffs on pause” idea sounds very tricky to implement. I’m assuming that your thinking that existing buffs would disappear for 4 rounds, the reappear? Are their timers suspended? What happens if a new cast puts the same or, worse, similar buff on? An alternative, which may be what you meant, is “All buffs are dispelled from target, and the target cannot receive new buffs for 4 rounds.” That we be nasty and highly effective.

• Eva: good design.

• Elysse: compare her to Kashhrek, and she’s far too weak. Bump the healing to 45%, like Kashhrek, or spread to all allies (probably wants a higher number here). The +20% seems low to me, when I compare to Falcon. Would have to play-test to see, but I’m guessing +40% is about right.

• Nian Zhen would break titans, particularly when used with Wu. I’d be content to domtitan runs without casting any offensive specials with such a huge defense debuff. Maybe 44% debuff to match Isarnia?

3 Likes

@Kerridoc Thanks for the comment. Good insight.

Melovene: Very fast mana with 375% mana doesn’t seem too strong?

About the buff bypass. The buffs are still there counting every turns. Will still be expired as its original turns left. But, the target will not get any effect from the buffs. So, say the target has a shield icon (for +def), the effect will not show on his/her stat. So, heal over turns which is in a form of a buff, will not heal him/her either for 4 turns. The buffs on the target will still count normally. So if the defense buff is for 6 turns, 4 of them will not affect the target in any way, and only 2 of the turns actually affects him/her.

1 Like

@Kerridoc
I really like Eva too. I guess the most realistic one among them. Also, I like the relatively good def and high HP. Seems like a tough one on both def and attack.

Elysse has fast mana though. I was thinking 40+ % heal like Kashhrek, but I was considering the fast mana.

Also, +20% is the raw damage though, 20% of the number of damage succesfully dealt. I guess for raw damage, it’s quite high? I agree that she’s a bit weak on HP and def. But I guess still better than Melendor/Sabina, also with fast mana, could probably replace Rigard. Idk.

Nian Zhen: yeah! I wonder though if Wu’s inaccuracy chance + Zhen’s immune chance on enemies would stack into a nightmare of misses. :stuck_out_tongue:

Re suspended buffs, id be inclined to just call that a single-target dispel. Very few buffs last more than 4 turns. I also don’t think it should suspend undispellable buffs, like elemental link.

Ooo, I misread the card—chance to miss on tiles, too. Yikes. I’d make her purple so she can be the dark Wu Kong we can use on Holy titans.

Re the 20% damage bump, you can compare this to the “effective against” attacks, where there is a 40% boost, I believe.

2 Likes

Good point. I should add that it cannot affect undispellable buffs.

Umm single target dispell requires the buffs to be on first, no? The mechanic is more like Merlin’s mindless mark, that when the mark is on, the skill’s effect from us is ongoing. So, whatever old or new buffs that’s casted at the time/after we marked the target, will not take effect on the target, until the mark is off of the target that is after 4 turns.

On second thought about Elysse, yeah 84 from 420 damage doesn’t seem that much.

Ooooh, I see what you mean about the buff…I thought it only applied to existing buffs. I think my earlier suggestion about a dispel + block is both more powerful and simpler to implement.

1 Like

Oh good point about making it purple. I guess I have to skip the Holy on this package since Melovene will also be purple as to keep her role as Guinevere’s offender.

It’s basically the same with different wording, right? I can use "Dispell any buff on the target and block the target from getting any buff for 4 turns.

Oh sorry not the same. Yours is more powerful definitely cause the buffs are just gone for good.

@Saffran Are the 4 new ones from the same artist? The art style seemed somewhat different.

Just being honest, they went downhill after the first one. Not that they aren’t impressive drawings, rather they don’t have the same style as what’s in the game. The blue one I could actually see in the game as is; none of the others.

@Shohoku79 there are 4 artists of 5 of them, iirc. The details are on the pic.

@littleKAF
Not too easy to find pics similar in style though. They are basically just for presentation purposes. I like Eva anyway.

1 Like

9c9f7a064b8c002d13504ee8c2e60b5b

Like that?

5 Likes

Yeah, don’t get hung up on the art, or even the particular numbers. I read new hero concepts like those @Saffran is floating as interesting suggestions to the devs about novel skills, or combinations of skills, that might be interesting to see on a future hero. I hear some echoes of hero design ideas posted in the forum in some of the new Season 2 hero designs.

3 Likes

@saffran Ah, I see, because aside from the first picture where you actually provided the artist handle right in the message body, I was trying to look on my cell phone and couldn’t get the pictures to zoom for some reason to notice the artists’ handles on the bottom of each picture. I had thought some of those looked familiar, then I noticed they were from genzoman, who I’ve seen quite a bit of work for because he does work for commissions, video game mags, game conceptual arts, etc. While the styles for the ones used may / may not have the same vibe as E&P to some, the artist certainly is talented enough to make it work when you look at some of his other works. Look at Gregorion, he looked really out of place in comparison to other E&P heroes.

@Kerridoc Oh, but I am all about conceptual designs like backstories and am here for the pretty art. :smiley: knowing that I couldn’t draw like the artists do and am too shoddy at number crunching to check to see if they make sense. Sure, in the end, it’s all 2D art tied into a match 3 game and if Renfeld were to have awesome numbers and abilities for his class, people will still use him despite they complain constantly about how ridiculous he looks (in fact, they might not actually complain as much). One of the main appeals in this game is the art style and makes getting them and seeing them on screen a “rewarding” experience. This game probably won’t do as good in terms of popularity if it doesn’t have pretty heroes to go with the game concept.

1 Like

I’m going to respond to each of your reploes later.

For now, I have a new concept hero. (Character illustration, credit: genzoman)

So, this is the tank type. It basically will lock the target on itself for few turns. So in defense, it could be frustrating because when you’re attacking, you can’t move the target to the specific hero you need to kill immediately. This hero will tank your attack, with crazy minion and defense buff.

For attacking, the hero will be useful to tank painful bosses’ skills definitely!

5 Likes