Hero Balance FAQ - Discussion

A lot of the rebalancing complaints are simply whining, you’re right, but their claims that they’re doing everything they can to maintain balance is, well the politest way I can phrase it is “nonsense.”

Did, or did not, the Beta players warn about Telly being OP?
Did not virtually everyone who weighed in on HOTM & Event Costumes say they were a bad idea, and that they were buffing the wrong heroes?

You’re right that we’re all up in arms about the rebalancing, but SGG brought it upon themselves. They’re focusing more on desirability than on balance, and the result is they profit off of desirability, and once they have our money, they reintroduce balance. Had they listened to Beta and released Telly in her 2nd version, it might have been fine, but…

15 Likes

Nothing new there. We have all read that FAQ. The intention is nicely stated, but the implementation and execution lacks the finer points of customer service.

1. The final nerf of Tell and Vela could have been implemented after war ended. And not during mid war. This way, players who wanted to swop out their Tell and Vela, can do so after war using reset emblems, thereby getting back some ham and iron, to help them emblem the replacements.

2. There was no advance notice beyond the usual 24hr or 48hr notice. And staff response has been along the lines of a disciplinarian: we warned you. You didn’t listen. This is your punishment.

Please remember that we are your customers. Without us, this game will not exist long. By and large, we are adults. Please treat us with some respect and civility.

1. The nerf of Odin and Frigg can always be advised ahead. At least 1 week. Let players plan ahead. Do you think that every player has a healthy bank account or a healthy ham/iron bank ?

2. Once you Nerf some heroes, and new heroes are released that effectively negate their OP, why don’t you UnNerf them since that “imbalance” no longer exists ?

You want us to spend money. I get that. In return, you should treat us players properly as your customers. If my car was recalled due to a defect, I would get a free fix. Or some form of compensation.

In the case of Tell n Vela, the compensation was miserly and given to everyone, regardless of whether they had Tell and/or Vela, meaning some players had a free ride on the backs of the other players who spent their money trying to pull Tell and/or Vela. This is another imbalance that you have created.

If you want to create balance, then, please, look to yourself first. You can’t even fix a bug that affected heroes like Ursena & Kage in a timely manner. It took a player who has game coding experience to point out that it was a simple coding change to fix that problem. And this is > 1 year after Ursena was released.

Perhaps you should go back to basics first. Fix your servers. Fix your development team. Fix your customer service. Then maybe you can look at pumping players for more and more money.

23 Likes

S4 heros going to look like this

18 Likes

I’m not sure that you answered your own question. What metrics? I can take a pretty good guess at one of them based on feedback in other places, but I’m sure there is more than just one.

2 Likes

SG should have made him like Kage. Extra damage when health is over 50% and takes away buffs before attacking.
Or they should have made him the purple reflective.

1 Like

Absolutely NO. He is VERY FAST and can beat not only ONE target after first charge. Ninja’s more than enough for this game…

1 Like

Just reading through the limited comments already here but also through the years and balances and nerfs that have progressed through the game. The big thing SG needs to do is pay attention to these forumns and not be afraid to revisit work already done. Examples this past year:
Telluria - from my understanding beta players were very vocal about being so OP but SG did there two beta revisions and then released despite the continued negative feed back.
Vela - Vela was always reported as OP against reds, when developing Telluria the developers needed to understand this. I am not asking to review every hero BUT the recently released heroes should be tested to see how they work together. Leading to my next example.
Frigg & Odin. Even before Odin’s release Frigg was a juggernaut. Why did the devs not recognize this from all their feedback and adjust Odin before release? His mechanics are exactly the same. Of course put together they were going to be OP.

It’s the basics mechanics and understanding and more importantly not being afraid to revisit a mechanic. If it’s released once with an issue, that issue will only be magnified when the same mechanics are put together.

2 Likes

Thor is like Drake for statistics and damage but he came in 2018…compare with other’s heroes now in the game and in the next future is useless… His blind ability we have with other heroes…

2 Likes

Thor should be a powerhouse, now he is a bit underwhelming.

If they do it like this he will be balanced :
1 charge: take away buff from enemy, extra damage when enemy has more than 50% health, blind one enemy
2 charge: take away buff from 3 enemies, does normal damage of 280%, blinds the enemies
3 charge: hits all enemies for 280% damage, blinds all enemies

A super the name Thor worthy.

The game should not have any OP hero

5 Likes

If you think that’s OP that’s you’re opinion.

It’s right. As yours if you think differently.

I agree. But the goalposts move over time… :thinking:

3 Likes

Sure. And all we know why and for what )))
P.S. Decided today to see feedbacks in Apple Store for EaP - first 100 feedbacks with 1 star…

1 Like

Yes, this is true. I don’t know any virtual phone game where I own the contents. Hmm.

First from all the live game non must be a test area but if that happens we need reset hero token, if we don’t like the last form of the character who is nerfed to be able to get our materials back, the appeal for this is Teruria and vela 2 characters who are no longer good for anything.

7 Likes

I can’t imagine this being harmful. More of a preference option for those who disagree. But it shouldn’t hurt anything.

It would have a favorable effect for negatively balanced heroes after their release. And reserved giving them out for during those rare situations.

And if the balance is accurate and justified. Would make such tokens less likely to be used by folks other than just. Angry people.

So… no harm. And reduced anger :+1:

1 Like

Well, for Telluria the only metric for the final blow was how many players with 2700+ cups used her on raid defense.

That’s it.

They ruined a great hero because the top 5% (maybe 2%?) used her too much - a group which likely includes some of the heaviest spenders in the game. And then they immediately started releasing whole groups of even stronger heroes.

Don’t listen to this drivel about balance and careful consideration, it’s just a circle jerk to make themselves feel better about the slipshod way they release and update heroes, with obvious preference towards the most elite players. It’s just a whole lot of words repeating old excuses without a drop of real information.

Until they admit the financial considerations used in these decisions (like purchases for gem pulls, coin deals, etc), I’ll watch their actions before taking their words at face value.

9 Likes

I’m not sure these are accurate portrayals of what happened in beta for those heroes from my recollection. Vela was released first and didn’t have too much fanfare, even after release. Her hit was weak, DoT was weak, and green tanks weren’t a thing yet; as I think the best green tank was Yunan at the time.

JF and Telluria were ridiculous beyond belief in their first appearance in beta, which was not useful in garnering feedback for balance other than ‘this is too much’.

Telluria was largely celebrated as the first good green tank in her final pre-release form. Many were excited for the viability of a new defensive color.

That’s what I largely remember from the consensus, anyways.

4 Likes

I cannot refute these assertions, but I try to give SG the benefit of the doubt although that wears thin when points such as yours are made without a counter.

Yeah, usage rate in defensive teams was the factor I was alluding to. A problem with usage rate is that it is going to be heavily stacked against heroes that are strong and more accessible versus those that are strong and behind a larger paywall. Of course, it makes financial sense to invest in a system this way; not reflecting well on SG.

I’ve had the theory in my head for a while that they test heroes using thousands or millions of auto-play statistics before releases in beta for each iteration that we see. I also largely think they favor that output more than the qualitative feedback we give which isn’t altogether unreasonable, until the auto-play misses something skilled players point out.