⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Zulag

ppl loves wasting their time dude

1 Like

If Zulag’s innate ability was to “resist the Status Block,” Malosi wouldn’t be a counter, so it might have been useful. Resistance to sand damage? No thank you.

3 Likes

Well and that is where i disagree with you. I don’t think she is as bad as you think. She is playable imo and offers the biggest defensive buff in the game. For me she is between b- and c+.

2 Likes

Zulag is definitely too weak to be a good tank. No damage, no “useful” resistance and a weak minion. A tank which only buffs your own heroes, in case of Zulag even only 3 of them, is much too easy to counter. The main reason why Telluria and other tanks are much more powerful is that they buff the allies and nerve the enemies. This means that the attacker must have answers for both.

Aegir for example is facing the same problem linke Zulag. You can easily send gems through the middle to charge your specials and then take away all his buffs. Sorry, this hero needs a re-balancing. Just my 2 Cents.

3 Likes

I agree with all of what you say here, although I think not all team configs fare the same against passive tanks as I know quite a few people who would rather face a Lianna tank over a Brynhild tank. I personally love to take on a passive tank, but I think it largely depends on the arsenal of specials you have at hand). In Aegir’s case I don’t even mind letting him live until the very end (which is the opposite of most tank strategies) as once you start taking out other heroes (easy if you have a dispeller - take a bow, Melendor) his special starts to work to the detriment of the remainder of his team.

Getting back to Zulag - happy for her to tank so I can face her in raids. If I do get her she probably won’t make my purple team as it is quite attack oriented and C Rig is already filling the sole healer/cleanser role.

1 Like

I do agree with your arguments, however you will find alot of semigood tanks in lower diamond arena and wars. When the majority has to fight with 4* base and just a few 5* Heroes even multiple Aegir-Tanks will cause some trouble.

Imo that is the playerbase who will find good use for Zulag cause if you don’t have Kunchen nor Ursena or Bosswulf which valid Tankoptions are left? C-Rigs?

I wouldn’t max her with my roster, cause she is not good enough for my metagame but that doesn’t mean she isn’t an upgrade for anybody else.

2 Likes

Fair points. I think when people judge a hero they can rarely see beyond the boundaries of their own roster and level in the game. Or even beyond their own playstyle. A team facing her without a dispeller or defense down or special defense down hero might struggle with her. Or a strong defense buffer like that might really help them in their PVE or PVP

2 Likes

Even in low level allies they have Caedmons and Sonyas. :wink: Personally I do not understand why the HOM generally have such differences in power. If you are actively playing in March you get the superstar tank and in October you have a tank which is only useable if your opponent has a lack of a dispeller.

3 Likes

Zulag in my opinion could be a better ares… But the sand damage as innate ability is a real bummer… again unless they have sometime planned for a new element or whole new line of hero’s that do specifically sand damage…in high platinum and diamond I almost never face sand damage…and even if I do the - healing from sand empire hero’s takes away a 3rd of her special…

Should be no mana reduction or buffs can’t be dispelled…hell even no minion removal would be better then no sand damage…

I dunno I think she’s got capabilities…but when it comes to her or sartana for my next tabards it’ll be sartana…shame as it’s my first HoTM yet

Hopefully SGG will buff her innate ability to something more worth while

And even though it’s a cool elemental Link a minion with 5% hp and atk Will be killed in one slash attack

Feels like after telluria SG is affraid to make a good HoTM

6 Likes

For a HotM her heal should be undispellable or regular heal. A very lack luster HoTM.

1 Like

She needs improvement , she should be able to buff whole team and her skill should be undisspellable . Until then she is so eze for a tank. ( I know , there is no necessity to be good tank for every hero but look at her , where can I use her, as wing? Or against titans? On map? )

4 Likes

Giving her both would make her way OP. Giving her one of those upgrades would make her very strong but still balanced (just), I thnk

4 Likes

Has there been any talk in beta about possibly changing her innate ability… honestly if it were anything other then Sand damage that would help with her actual special abilities I’d think about giving her tabards over sartana… but otherwise unfortunately she’ll be staying at nowhere above 2-60 anytime soon

1 Like

Why does the discussion revolve around defence?

It’s one niche and not the most important one.

HOTM’s are the single easiest heroes to target and specifically get hold of - even TC20 heroes are harder to specifically land (whether by pulls or training) - they need to be interesting, but if they’re too powerful they’ll be everywhere.

So far, this one looks about right to me.

1 Like

Really my first HoTM and I wanted Vela alaise, telluria (although glad I didn’t lol) Kingston and malosi… wasn’t trying for zulag and got her… unless there’s some secret to getting am HoTM I don’t know about lol

This hero reminds me of Ares a bit. Who was awesome until dispel showed up in the 5* arena.
And then… Ares became…
Who cares…?

Think I’d rather have Ares tho. And he got flushed
Which makes Zulag a pass

1 Like

At least Ares can be decently threatening with that attack and crit buff. Zulag? Just another tile dump if I ever saw her on defense. For offense… well personally not a fan of heal 3 heroes, plus Clarissa would’ve fired twice by the time Zulag fired once, and Clarissa’s elemental link isn’t dispellable. Zulag = hard pass

3 Likes

Innate ability = if it changes from sand damage to “resist dispell” then the problem can be solved.

10 Likes

Also weak minions of her replace strong minions of seshat in purple mono stack…

5 Likes

her face is just mirror reflection of the face of those “lucky” people who just got her.

7 Likes