⚖ Hero Balance Discussion: Set

This thread is for discussing whether Set is well-balanced, or whether you think he needs a buff or nerf.

This thread is NOT for general discussion of Strategy or Summons related to Set. For that, please see: 🌑 Set – Season 5 Hero – 5* Dark / Purple: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback

If you’d like to see more threads like this — or ignore threads like this, please see instructions in: 🔔 Watching or Ignoring Hero Balance/Buff/Nerf Threads

:bar_chart: Poll

• I think Set is reasonably well-balanced overall
  • I think Set is excessively weak, and needs a buff (increase of their strength)
  • I think Set is excessively strong, and needs a nerf (decrease of their strength)
  • I’m not sure yet

0 voters

:speaking_head: Discussion

• If you think Set is well-balanced, too strong, or too weak — why?

• Are there specific, concrete suggestions you’d make to the game designers to alter Set ? Or are there specific reasons you think they should remain unchanged?

Purpose of this thread:

To provide an aggregate place for the topic here on the forum; thus preventing there being a million threads popping up. And to provide an actual set of impartial votes rather than a #ideas-feature-requests which has no real voting.

In short, to neaten the forum and to give players and outlet for their thoughts on his balance without bogging down the rest of the forum or the other Set thread.

1 Like

Someone actually voted that Set was too strong? Set needs to be rebalanced because he contradicts himself.

Set balance discussion

2 Likes

Wow, nobody cares enough for this hero. I don’t think his skills necessarily work against each other, the mana cut is just a last resort. He is a summoner with anti-minion insurance attached so he’s not completely useless against minion killers
I might even say he works as a quasi counter to a minion killer.

1 Like

I think they need to get rid of his poison damage, his mana cut ability and give his minions these following effects.

As long as a hero has a dark soldier minion they gain the following undispellable effects.

•All received damage is reduced by 50%.
•The hero gains a small amount of mana each turn.
•The hero gains 100 boosted health for it’s owner each turn.

This is literally a revamp, but it makes more sense considering who set is and the fact that he is using minions to shield himself in the actual season 5 story.

5 Likes

Here is my revamp of Set

Legions of darkness- mana speed fast

• Summons a Dark Soldier Minion for all allies with 10% HP and 40% attack inherited from the caster. Damage from poison bypasses dark soldier minions
  • All enemies receive 120 Poison damage over 4 turns. The damage increases with each dark soldier minion controlled by all allies and enemies. Up to 540 poison damage
  • All minion and fiend summoners can only summon dark soldier minions for 4 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.

Changed him to fast, lowered his minion’s health to 10% and have the poison scale depending on how many dark soldier minions there are. But it’s his third skill that’s a gamechanger. He forces all minion and fiend summoners to summon dark soldier minions. Which means summoners like waterpipe and bera can only summon those soldiers. Fiends spawners like Elizabeth summons those minions. This also adds extra gameplay mechanics because he can now force minions onto his enemies using fiend spawners. He can use that to combo that with other minion killer heroes
It also fits the skill name, legions of darkness. Where only dark beings can be summoned

9 Likes

I love your idea :bulb:. He would be fun to play with. :+1:t3::smile_cat:

1 Like

I guess we need to have set’s skill relate to the story, he had many legendary heroes under his spell, so just my take.

1. Deal 230% damage to all,
  2. Deal extra damage to healer,
  3. Summon a dark minion for each ally with 12% HP and 20% Atk inherited from the caster, each hit from dark minion cast Mindless Attack to it’s target for 2 turns,
  4. When dark minion killed by target, inflicts poison and reduce minor mana of the target,
  5. Each killed dark minion gives Set moderate HP

Just for fun sake throwing some suggestions here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

When you are going to buff Set, he is the villain in S5 but one of the worst hero in portal. This time you featured him so most players are not spending in S5 this month. Buff him atleast because of your storyline :blush:

2 Likes

This hero’s main purpose is to die. He needs an overhaul imho.

6 Likes

Unfortunately Set does absolutley nothing. With the Lunar heros his poison is all hes got. If he doesnr go off then you wont get the Mana debuff if he dies.

Very poor hero in need of a balance!

1 Like

I really don’t understand why:

• Minions don’t have some effect attached to them (reflect, debuff resist, healing);
  • Or why minions don’t cause some effect (some DoT stacking with poison, mana reduction);
    His minions are just meaty shields that do nothing. They don’t justify slow speed and worse, they are in clash with “mana reduced upon death” part of skill.

Also, why the minions have sprite of generic minions from Dark Element Link? That’s just lazy, SGG. This is Set, the Big Bad of S5! His special is literally called Legions of Hell! Put more creativity in their representation for Christ’s sake! Why they don’t have sprite of those drones or what he has behind him in his artwork?!

4 Likes

This hero is becoming more useless as long as more anti-minion heroes are created. The main villian of S5 doesn’t deserve to be that kind of weak. He totally needs a buff.
My thought on this are next:
Mana speed - Slow

1. Summons a Dark Soldier Minion for all allies with 40% HP and 40% atttack inherited from the caster. Given the fact his minions don’t do anything and serve only as living shield they should have something unique like:
    Dark Soldier Minion can’t be destroyed.
  2. All enemies receive 315 Poison damage over 3 turns. This is absolutely nothing for a slow hero. The enemy team won’t even feel it. He doesn’t do any serious direct damage (passive skill excluded) so this part of his special skill should also be improved:
    All enemies receive 600 Poison damage over 4 turns. or All enemies receive 800 Poison damage over 5 turns.
  3. If the caster is defeated in the next 3 turns, all enemies’ mana is reduced by -100%. This effect can’t be displelled. As it was mentioned earlier this makes his primary purpose to die. Moreover it goes against his 1st part of special. I’d change that part next way:
    If the caster survives within next 4/5 turns, all enemies’ mana is reduced by -40%/-60%. This effect can’t be displelled. That way the 1st and the 3rd parts will work together.

I believe these corrections will make him more playable. Happy gaming to everyone :smiley:

5 Likes

Really only 12 people on this thread?

This hero gets more bench time with that crappy special then telluria…

Better up SG and give the main protagonist a well deserved buff…

2 Likes

@Lord_Simmons I really like your suggestions.

Here is another idea.

1. Cleanses all status ailments from all allies

2. Dark Minions 30% hp 40% attack. For each dark minion removed or destroyed mana is reduced by 3% to all enemies. Maximum mana reduction for one turn is 24%

3. All enemies receive 750 poison damage over 3 turns

4a. If the caster survives the next 3 turns, mana is increased to all allies by 20% (undispellable).
Or
4b. If caster dies in the next 5 turns 100% mana is reduced to all enemies

They‘ll do, like they did with Thor. 1-1,5 years from now, he‘ll get a nice costume (that you‘ll have to pay for). I don‘t think they are going to fix him.

Another problem with Set is that he only deals poison damage. That can be easily cleansed (you should have ready some cleanser by the time he’s charged), but more importantly there is an increasing number of heroes outright immune to poison, including all and every Gargoyle, one of whose was in this SE.

Really, he should do something more or have his speed bumped up.

Ive given up on him. They wont fix this :poop: and if they do it will be through an costume like they did others. Just move on.

1 Like

We can’t give up, come on @Staff_SGG if you care about the players, please buff him.

A detail I noticed, his “Dark Soldier Minions” (visually) look no different than the element link dark minions summoned by Zulag. And it’s funny how both also don’t have a gimmick of dealing element-specific DoT to enemies they strike.

Could have given the minions Corrosive Poison damage or a S5-unique “poison” debuff like a “night sickness.” Or have the minions do tiny max HP reduction. It’d still be capped at enemies being at 30% max HP, but the hits wouldn’t be something like -20%. Maybe -5%, which tends to stack if there’s somehow 15 Dark Soldier Minions striking them repeatedly.

I don’t have him, so i can’t speak on how to buff him. I still want him mostly for being a minion summoner.

2 Likes

I really don’t know why this mana crush mechanic even exist. It’s imo one of the worse mechanics in the game. It’s so easily overlooked as it doesn’t last long, also you need to kill him off to activate it. It’s just not practical enough. Easily the exeera of S5. And it’s given to the final boss of S5. Imagine the big boss of S5, reduced to an impractical support hero. It’s just pitiful

2 Likes