šŸ¤” Help @zephyr1 figure out what to do about Summons result posts in New Hero discussion threads

Iā€™d like to volunteer when available to create the who pulled HOTM how topic.

Then againā€¦ why bother

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but perhaps we can have one giant lucky pulls thread that covers all HOTM, event, and Atlantis summons? No need to create a new one for each hero. I really enjoy the discussions in the hero specific threads and find the pull results distracting. I know you are happy, and Iā€™m happy for you, but please celebrate somewhere else.

1 Like

I think that the main issue is that because there is already information out about the hero in question long before he/she is actually released that most of the tactical discussion is had before and the release is just the starting signal for attempting to summon them. It stands to reason that if youā€™ve already discussed the hero at length before the release that the actual release will add little to that discussion and that the topic is flooded with summon results.

The BETA topics are a core issue here. The discussion is long over before the hero actually comes out. Now I donā€™t think that we should remove these topics as they are genuinly interesting and hold the true discussion on how the hero can be used. I think we need to steer in to the skid.

I think the proper solution is to keep the beta/early info thread as the main topic for the discussion about the hero even after they come out. Simply update the topic to reflect the newly released final stats. This will A) Give you a place to discuss the actual hero and B) centralize all the discussion, Past, present and future to one location. Then because we know people want to share their excitement after a pull there should be a new topic each month for the pulls specifically. This topic can be merged in to the rediculous bragging thread once that month is over to avoid cluttering the forum with different summon threads.

The second ā€œbraggingā€ topic should also be more than just that. It should also be a place for people to share their ā€œhuntingā€ experience. For every person that pulls them within 3 hero tokens there are thousands that donā€™t get lucky after a lot more than that. Right now all you see is the upside while a seperate topic will probably give a more balanced view of the actual odds. Reading the discussion thread now I intsntly want to use my tokens because apparently it is really easy to get a HOTM.

This should solve your issue. I voted for option 4 as this is closest to what I think will solve the issue.

3 Likes

We do, the Ridiculous Bragging Thread.

Also covers loot, chests, MV, etc.

1 Like

As I see it, the beta thread was to discuss the hero as presented in beta and all the changes that the hero went through as it was refined.

The post-release thread was to discuss the hero as released following all the changes in beta. However, starting that thread the day the hero is released there is not much to discuss initially. For the last few HOTM there has been no change between last beta version and general release version so no changes to discuss. Non-beta players have not had a chance to experience the hero yet so nothing to contribute. So, the thread becomes a series of lucky pull posts at the beginning because there is basically nothing else to postā€¦

5 Likes

Paved Desired Path

I agree.

Forum are messy.

This solution is a ā€œpavedā€
desired
path

Boring

Click for boring, unless you are a mod/ staff

Being a forum mod, and chat mod, for another game, the biggest advantage with forum moderate is the ability to compare a user, and the forum as a whole, behavior. Many users adding summons results to hero topics do post on topic most times and past forum behavior shows this is a very common behavior among users.

So this is similar to ā€œKeep of the Grassā€ ( officially negative behavior) but people still taking a short cut to avoid late attendance penalties. People always seek to optimize effort versus rewards.

Forums work better with more mods due to mob psychology and operant conditioning but also worse with more mods due to training and inconsistent application of moderation.

My #1 test for forum is ā€œdoes this seem weird for a teammate to do?ā€ Followed by #2 ā€œWould a typical mom be embarrassed if her son said this on worldwide television?ā€ and #3 ā€œAfter showing it to my wife, what is her vote?ā€

FIN

3 Likes

If people would use there like, the ā€œSummarize Topicā€ button is awesome!

2 Likes

Yep - if it makes zephyrā€™s life easy, it has my vote.

Whichever solution is chosen, there will still be the odd (sometimes several) poster who bucks the trend and does whatever - people can be most considerate that way :confused:.

For example, the Mystic vision thread; donā€™t stop believing? There are always people complaining about their poor loot rather than posting pics :confounded:. So @Kerridoc set up a separate thread, and nope they still come back to the thread to complain pftt.

A separate thread for people to post pics of successful summons makes sense. Iā€™ve noticed when people have done this in previous hero discussions, the thread takes a detour and sometimes requires moderator intervention to get the discussion back on topic. Itā€™s a good thing our moderators have nothing better to do :confused:.

5 Likes

Revisit

I wonder is a new type of post ā€œ6 months laterā€ would be helpful. I noticed a lot of HotM change 5- 10 months later or after the release of an anti hero.

Rumor says Beta is only critical bug, so things like 2x Gravemaker can only be effectively tested on the live server.

Plus most effective Beta users ( experienced, knowledgeable, deep roster) are almost the exact opposite of the majority that pull a HotM or other limited time hero.

So three different posts
Beta Beat
Shiny New
Revisiting

This seemed to work very well for Class quests like Trial of Survival.

Because. People.

This also reminds me of the Thanos topics

(ā™¾ The Thanos Challenge ā€“ A Competition of Skill & Creativity - #93 by Radar1)

While this topic got zero use:

([Vent, Photos] Broken Gauntlet or invalid entries for the Thanos Challenge)

3 Likes

Being as the discussion about a HotM has a chance to start with the words ā€œJust pulled Kingston with my 1st pullā€¦ā€ other than ā€œ I hope I pull Kingstonā€, it seems they go hand in hand for the most part.

Although merely letting everyone know you pulled Kingston with absolutely nothing to add game wise should probably be moved to the ridiculous bragging thread, I just skim past those posts.

Whatever the mods feel make their job easier here is what I vote for. Iā€™m not really bothered by the players that are lucky. But I rather hear what they think about said hero than the fact that they managed to summon them.

4 Likes

As a purist, I would love for better thread discipline.

But there arenā€™t enough mods and Iā€™m concerned that they are already overworked.

So I think we just have to lump it and cope with other peopleā€™s exuberance.

Ideally, I think @petri and co need to find five more suitable folks to keep from burning out @zephyr1 and our other volunteers.

12 Likes

Discussion on new heroes gives divers inputs on the mechanics of the hero in the subject, and generally provided educative info.

However, summon result aspect of the same hero, is just result of some pulls, Iā€™m still trying to figure out how it add any tangible impact to the mechanics of the game other than showing individualā€™s good feeling of luck.

1 Like

What Iā€™d like to understand is when itā€™s appropriate to flag posts? Flag minor tangential convos and thatā€™s too controlling. Donā€™t flag such summon posts and it results in spam. I prefer reddits approach in this aspect, let community decide. If it gets upvoted, itā€™s at top for easy reading. If itā€™s downvoted over 3-5 times, it gets collapsed out of view.

Iā€™m not opposed to summon posts, but itd be better to be able to hide them out of view as well.

1 Like

This sums my opinion. I read the proper hotm topic looking for discussions just to find them scarce due to things already been discussed in the beta topic. Since the early topic canā€™t be flooded with pulls, we can keep it as central feedback on hotm, while keeping the ā€œrealā€ topic just for pull results (without resorting to moderators cleaning or user downvoting). Also, when the month is over moderators can merge the entire old pulling topic with the ridicolous bragging topic just to have only one discussion around.

Less work for everyone, less info spread between topics. (I guess, lol)

1 Like

@Rigs beat me to it.

I donā€™t understand why some people have trouble seeing a picture and scrolling past it. If you want to drop a ā€œlikeā€ or help someone celebrate their new shiny thing, do that. If you donā€™t, scroll on past for the next relevant topic to you.

Personally I am a fan of Rigsā€™ idea of posting my duplicates. I think I ended up with 8 Frida, 6 Anzog, 8 Margret, and 3 Grazuls. Iā€™m just imagining a wall of dancing Fridas and asking folks to help me celebrate each one.

But to bring home the original point of the thread. @zephyr1 I would recommend you remove the comments of people complaining about someone posting a picture of the HOTM. If anything is not relevant to the thread, itā€™s a bunch of people cluttering the thread with whining about someone excited about their pull. I understand that this flys in the face of what most would want. But I am nothing if not a contrarian and generally tired of individuals inability to act like a grown-up.

4 Likes

@zephyr1 , thank you for addressing this. Your consistently exceptional work is inspiring and adds immensely to this community. No matter how much I or anyone thank you, it fails to convey the full measure of our gratitude.

Itā€™s not that I dislike seeing the ā€˜I summoned thisā€™ posts, itā€™s that I really donā€™t like that those make it harder to find the actual content. I do skim the threads when each new hero comes out, and I always learn something.

As I havenā€™t yet faced him, it was interesting to read the discussion about if Kingston is better suited to the wing or flank. Or how Grazul may not be a strong defender, but will be great on offense against many status ailment heroes (Yunan, of course, but even vs. Kunchen and others). Or that Lady of the Lake seems stronger than initially anticipated by many. Hearing from others who have experience or even just ideas is very valuable to me.

That said, I do NOT think it should me on the mods to move all those posts, as they are numerous. Iā€™d favor a solution that kept the thread clean and on-topic without further taxing the mods. That could look like flagging summons posts or creating a parallel summons results thread (much as there is for Atlantis), or any other solution that worked similarly.

Again, thank you.

4 Likes

This might be hard to achieve - perhaps a new type of Hero Thread. It would include:

• ā€œFirst Thoughtsā€ sub-thread: gut reactions; discussion about specials; nerf ideas
  • ā€œAscend Versusā€ sub-thread: eg Kingston or Lianna? Kingston or Alby? Kingston or Zeline (as it is, these types of posts are all over the place, having them all in one spot would be great)
  • ā€œSynergyā€ sub-thread: Ways that people stack the hero with other heroes to great effect
  • ā€œBraggingā€ sub-thread: for lucky ducks to post pictures of their new toy
3 Likes

Just start a thread called October pulls.
People can post there pulls there!
Once October is finished either a close the thread and open it up again next year! Or change the title to November pulls?

3 Likes

Not sure how Discourse.org handles it.

But phpBB forum software it is easier for mods to pull posts to another topic then to respond to flags. So pulling posts AND responding to flags is usually a ton of work.

2 Likes

I suggest a general HOTM pull thread that would include all the posts about the pulls and still create the discussion topic wich should include the link to the new thread.

3 Likes