🏆 Hawthorn – 5* Dark / Purple from Plain Hunters

New Plain Hunter Hero is released: Hawthorn

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Hawthorn, as well as your thoughts on Hawthorn.

Hawthorn

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:new_moon:
Dark/Purple
Cleric
A
Average
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 883 941 1791
4/90 1010 1076 2049
Origin Family
Covenant of Champions Plain Hunter
Image Aether Power Description
attack-up Attack Up At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +20% attack for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:hourglass: Ability: Status effect on Special
When this character casts their Special Skill, they give a Hunter’s Mark on a random enemy. The target receives 150 damage over 3 turns. If a target already has this effect, the duration will be refreshed and the damage will be increased with 150, up to 1500 damage in total.
:hourglass: Ability: Special Skill Damage Reduction
This character has a 10% chance to negate -100% of the direct damage received from Special Skills.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Medicinal Fumes
  • All allies regenerate 672 boosted health over 4 turns. Boosted health can exceed max HP.
  • All allies receive a moderate amount of mana over 4 turns.
  • All allies reflect status ailments and negative stacks for 4 turns.

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique Heroes of the same family.

Plain Hunter family
Bonus for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 Heroes:

+5% / +10% / +15% / +20% attack

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

Immunity for negative stacks is added to his skill here:

Jun 2023 (Big Balance Update)

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no changes to Hawthorn from last-seen Beta stats, skill, and design.

Beta Information: đŸ§Ș Early Information on New Covenant of Champions Heroes [Part of The Beta Beat v50]

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Hawthorn ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Hawthorn.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Hawthorn and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Hawthorn worth summoning for?

• Would you use Hawthorn on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Hawthorn ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Hawthorn as an opponent?

• Would you give Hawthorn Cleric Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Hawthorn’s character design?

• If you Summoned Hawthorn and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Hawthorn, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Hawthorn when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Hawthorn, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Hawthorn (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Hawthorn), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of Legendary Event Hero.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

5 Likes

Feedback Poll - Hawthorn (post release)

:question: Is Hawthorn worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Hawthorn would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Hawthorn’s Primary Purpose is?

• HP Booster (Over Time)
  • Mana Increaser (Over Time)
  • Ailment Reflecter

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Hawthorn compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Hawthorn’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match Hawthorn’s Base Stats?

Note this means Hawthorn’s Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Hawthorn worth giving Cleric Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No
 Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Hawthorn is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Hawthorn is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options

:question: What do you think is Hawthorn worth Limit Breaking ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

:question: If you would emblem Hawthorn then which Emblem Path would you select ?

• Sword path
    (Selecing Attack talent nodes when possible)
  • Shield path
    (Selecing Health and Shield talent nodes when possible)

0 voters

1 Like

Another event where I did a bunch of pulls (74) and only got HOTM and dupes. Odds not in my favour but still, I pulled a lot at w3k and same thing. Time to lay off for the rest of the year. At least I have golden tokens. Really wanted this one. Never chase lol

8 Likes

Very good skills with overheal. I love how Cleopatra is outclassed even before she is released
@PlayForFun would his ailment reflect work against stage ailments like COK? At least to negate the ailments

1 Like

Got him with 11 pulls, i needed a new project and im in desperate need of a good defensive purple, i will definitely try him as tank.

8 Likes

This hero looks like a perfect counter for Alfrike. Cleric class to counter mindless attack, boost health counters max health reduction, reflects mindless attack.

3 Likes

Nope, a perfect counter for Alfrike is Hanitra actually. She is faster, belongs to the stronger colour, gives dodge, gives immunity against health reduction and is immune to mindless attack thanks to her passive.

2 Likes

You are completly right about Hanitra, but then again, her usability is not so great outside certain contexts, so Hawthorn can win for overall use :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Believe me, I have Hanitra. Her dodge chance is nothing compared to 100% reflect rate.

5 Likes

For sure, but don’t forget that Hawthorn is average and purple. You need more tiles to get his immunity to ailments than you would need yellow tiles to get Hanitra’s dodge (and her second passive can make her virtually very fast once she fired). Usually I don’t bring purples if I want to shut down Alfrike as soon as possible.

1 Like

Average and Purple doesn’t play much role in Very Fast 5* tournament, where you’ll see most Alfrikes and where Hanitra’s fast speed is irrelevant.

Also, purple is actually good, because it can work even if Yellow is forbidden in Tournament (this is also when you’ll see most Alfrike tanks).

2 Likes

Ah you were talking about very fast formats. In this particular case, yes, I completely agree indeed.

2 Likes

I will try tanking him flanked by Khufu and Hanitra, lets see how he does. He + Hanitra seems a very good combo for buff tournaments.

1 Like

I actually got one and will try him instead of my Xnolphod once he reaches 3/70. I think Hawthorn should be better, but we’ll see.

1 Like

I think Hawthorn would be amazing in attack, but he won’t be as good in tank position in defense. He will become a tile dump that can be too easily countered by the likes of C Sabina.

3 Likes

Outside of VF Alfrike is usually a ■■■■■ cat. I no longer even take any specific counters for her, in case she fires I just wait out the 3 turns.

But even outsife of VF Hawthorn is leagues above Hanitra, against Alfrike and otherwise - unless you are specifically stacking yellows. Otherwise only she has immunity and her protection of her team is too RNG based

2 Likes

Great support hero that adds mana. But in today’s Meta, costume Ariel might be better. Due to Xnolphod turning purple tiles slow after just a few turns. (Unless your starting board has lots of purple, not a good play).

Still useful if you’re fighting non-Xnolphod tanks. Works very similar to Ariel, essentially gets your attacker to fire without getting the last missing tile.

Ariel also cleanses, where as Hawthrone doesn’t. So if your team already got status ailments, they won’t disappear.

Basically, if you already got costume Ariel, no need to chase this one. Go for Styx, avg speed purple reviver.

2 Likes

Ran into Deadlift today with a Hawthorn tank (not yet LB). The support cast is amazing, having a dispel first hero nullifies the most problematic part of Hawthorn’s special which is the ailment reflect.

As currently built, I don’t think Hawthorn will cause quite as much problem as Xnol due to dispellers being rife. It’s what I used and on my second flag I had tiles lined up to dump into him and not trigger the nasty support staff. Once able to dispel and fire my heroes it was over. 1st flag I set off his supporting heroes and died badly.

My hunch is that for “game balance” ($$$$) Hawthorn will get a buff by making some or all of his special undispellable.
If SG makes the ailment reflect undispellable he would leapfrog Xnol for best tank and be borderline OP (well, actually would be OP), if they make his entire special undispellable he would be massively OP and/or force a complete change to raiding and wars would be brutal (do you have six strong teams that don’t cast ailments?).

3 Likes

Is it just me, or are there more counters, negates, blocks, reflects and cleanses for ailments, than there are ailment dealers? Of all the niches, ailments are the least scary. They can navigate ailments in the bronze arena. So now there is another anti-ailment weapon? Who cares
 the line wraps around the block.

Minions and fiends are still going strong.
However, the counters for them are so powerful
 that even those niches are a LIABILITY!
Whereas putting an ailment dealer in your defense seems less of a liability to me and more of an excuse to drop cups
 everyone and their dog can turn that slot in your defense either against you, or make it a complete waste of space.

The most troublesome defense is raw overwhelming damage. Tough to counter that

Especially with creep stats and speed.

That’s cool you saw the iconic Deadlift tho!
Neat!

3 Likes

Amazing, he was logged OFF!!

5 Likes