Having a hard time winning raids? Try this

I’m no expert at raiding, but my enjoyment with this part of the game changed dramatically once I learned a few things about special attacks:

The more you hit a target, the faster they strike you back with their special. You therefore want to kill them before they do so.

How do you do that? You kill the guy in the middle first.
This wasn’t obvious to me, but when you see the defense target team, you can then edit your team.

Kashrek? No problem, bring three red heroes and match the red tiles until he’s dead.

Three red heroes makes your red tiles hit three times harder. Of course, your other colors will hit for 1, but you just avoid matching those colors.

Ok, so you killed kashrek, but now you have to kill their blue heroes with the red tiles. You keep passing tiles through the gap in the center. This will help you charge up your heroes without giving the defenders mana. Now just fire your special attacks at the other heroes and use your strong color to good advantage.

15 Likes

As Viv and others have said, you want to double or triple up on the tank if you can. If it’s a center red, take in two or three blues. If it’s a center yellow, take in two or three purples… You’ll need a deep bench, but it’s necessary if you want to have success raiding or in the alliance wars.

Avoid hitting defenders with tiles whose specials you don’t want to see go off (particularly healers and defense-buffers)—you’ll only charge their mana faster. Hit the most troublesome defenders with specials and with your double and triple-strong tiles whenever possible.

Send tiles as often as you can up through gaps in the enemy’s defense. This charges your own mana twice as fast as tiles that hit the enemy. If you clear a good gap on the board, you can easily charge your heroes without fear of reprisals.

Yes, be sure to have a little ham in reserve so that you can reroll and find a favorable matchup.

If you’re concerned with gaining cups, then pay attention to the risk/reward should you win or lose. Try to find favorable matchups (teams with colored tanks you’re strong against) that offer you 40+ cups if you win. If you’re doubling and tripling up on the tank, then the odds are in your favor. Should you lose, you can always try again and still win cups.

I wouldn’t worry much about a team’s overall combat power. As long as they’re within 300-400 of yours, they’re easily beatable with a decent board and double or triple-strength against the tank.

Hope that helps.

6 Likes

Well, I didn’t expect anything when I formulated it, however I used all of my raid energy plus four flasks and lost 4 battles.
I MIGHT have been lucky, but the odds are against that. Alot DOES rest on WHOM you chose to engage. For example, I haven’t had success with this formula on opponents with Multiple healers.

I like that you are looking for answers and trying to help others out. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks! knowledge is power. There is alot of power in this forum

3 Likes

Reminder to keep convos respectful and civil while you disagree.

Please read the Forum Rules:

If I may add a few more points. Raids are still one of my favorite areas of this game, mainly because they are unfair and they challenge you. Even though I still hate those crappy boards where you get forced into a single move that will just mark your demise, but anyway, not too many of those so I can get past it…

I’ve been playing since last Dec and I don’t know how many raids I’ve done but my profile show me as just shy of 1,000 wins. And here’s what I’ve learned (my personal experience):

1. Always study your opponents heroes and adjust your offense accordingly and whenever possible. You MUST understand heroes specialties and weaknesses. You’re doomed if you’re going in there without this knowledge and then wonder why you’re not making any damage or can’t heal, etc…

2. Practice setting up future moves. It’s so easy to go for any gems that line up easily, but I must caution you. You may be giving a sequence of epic combos for a quick 3 gem match. Always look at what heroes you want to max (mana) first and try to move those gems closer together to achieve this. You may be able to max two of your heroes at the same time if you play your gems right…

3. DO NOT go willy-nilly throwing gem combos all over the place just because they’re available. All you’ll accomplish is charging all of the opposition and getting your butt handed to you when they all light up like a Xmas tree and annihilate you…

4. I personally always kill Elberich first or second if I ever see him. Otherwise, he’ll just come back and revive every single hero you’ve already dispose of. Next are any attackers that might do continued damage, i.e. Natalya, Colen, Aztar, etc…)

5. I almost always go in with a healer (removes status ailments like Rigard or Vivica) and a hero to remove buffs like Caedmon or Sonya. It’s sooo nice to be able to cure you when you’ve been hit by someone like Colen, etc and to be able to remove any of their offense buffs, i.e. nullify Wu’s buff.

6. Try saving your special until you have two specials (two heros) and shoot a single opponent with full blood with both specials. I do this all the time, it doesn’t matter if they have full blood I’ll take them out right off the bat.

7. Don’t be afraid of hitting that tank right away. Even if they execute their special. Many times their blood level will drop low enough to where you can come back an counter (IF you were able to power up your special(s) with those hits) with your own and eliminate them right away. I specially do this with Ares, he’s so dumb.

8. Don’t get stressed out. We can’t all be winners all the time, where’s the fun in that…Practice practice practice. It’s just a game, but you can get really good at it if you just take it with a grain of salt and put yourself out there. Remember, luck is half the battle but strategy is the other half…

9. Empty space is your best friend. Stop trying to hit hit hit all the time. Use the empty space (where their heroes are dead and gone) to your advantage. Keep throwing gems through that open space if you can and build up your specials before you continue attacking, this is part of the strategy side of the game.

10. DON’T hit that diamond (Or dragons for that matter), at least not before assessing your board. Why in the world would you hit the green diamond when you have have your green hero special maxed and ready to go already. It’s just a waste. Or, don’t use your diamond to charge up your mana when all you need is one or two tiles, etc…Don’t jump the gun…

32 Likes

Excellent write up! This goes much more in depth than my initial post!

Thanks!!

1 Like

It is as I would have written it down myself and better :clap:. This is exactly what I do, plus the Ares bit. I also find him dumb and easy to take out :joy:.

1 Like

Thank you for all the tips and info, I enjoy raids but also get very nervous when I am repeatedly matched up to someone that is 300-400 TP stronger than me. I am learning to “work” my heroes, though. I still love the Titan hits, then raids, and last war (lol). I cannot wait until I have a full-strength roster of heroes leveled up and ready to mix and match. It will be even more fun, I’m sure!

one thing is important too… know your heroes! and know your enemy heroes. if you have slow heroes and opponent has fast ones, it might be hard to beat.

and ofcourse when trying to knock down the enemy tank, use two or three opposite color heroes for doing that. The rest is walking on sunshine… usually :smiley:

my win/lose ratio in raids is about 80/20. i win most of the time with my altering team (most of the time it’s Wu, Merlin, Red Hood, Azlar and Aeron/Vivica).

here’s the best tip for your future raids: GET MERLIN! Merlin is pure gold agains enemy heroes. I believe next event is going to be the Avalon and i’ll definetly hunt another Merlin for myself.

if i’m not mistaken, zero or anchor from the 7DD alliance made a vid about raids and he also praised Merlin big time.

GET MERLIN!

and one another good tip for winning raids, get Merlin!

ok i’ll stop now :slight_smile:

I use single color teams and raids are extremely easy. You get the occasional bad board but normally a mediocre board is an easy win. If my opponent has two of the same color I use the opposite team or if it’s a rainbow team I go opposite the healer. I just ignore their strength because it doesn’t really matter.

2 Likes

I’m confused as to what you are responding to as I haven’t posted in this thread in months.

But yes, totally normal. They cup drop (and maybe your cups increased), and dropped cups at such a rate that they claim 57 back. Happens all the time to me.

Glad you could understand that.

I responded to the only part I understood, which was gaining 26 and losing 57.

I’m not sure whether being a cement face is a compliment or not. I choose to believe it is.

Agree 100% with Vivenna. There’s a pretty comprehensive post titled “Raiding in the top 100”. It has actually 3 parts in separate posts. I read this and it completely changed the way I raid and I climbed immediately. On most raids I go in with 2 or 3 colors only. Colors picked to destroy tanks usually. And before you think what if you get a bad board, don’t take my word for it, read the post I mentioned and try it for about 20 raids and see for yourself.

Bulk up on two colors to win in general, and if you are trying to climb cups play above you. When climbing cups I generally am facing teams at least 300-400 cups above me to get the ratio I want.

2 Likes

I agree with you. During tough times of famine I end up having to take on much stronger opponents. Here’s my priorities when at a severe disadvantage:

1. Combos always, but avoid hitting healers and buffers.

2. Pick off healers first then buffers with specials.

3. Target heroes in the back on the sides with specials. They’re the hardest to hit with tiles when they’re all that’s left.

1 Like

I agree completely with targeting the folks in the back and sides though - the middle and flanks are impossible to miss, but the wings are a pain in the beginning! :slight_smile:

Personally, I always target healers last - if I can eliminate their “offense” - Snipers and AOE heroes, then there really isn’t anyone left to worry about being buffed/healed, and I can take all day to finish off the healers. (Of course, this backfires frequently depending on the board/combos, or lack thereof. )

Everybody plays differently, that’s for sure! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How could you enjoy this game, raided someone with 4 level 2 characters and still lost. Why?’ Cause the luck of the attack. You match 3, and nothing happens, and it continues. Train an epic hero for 2 days?’ No problem, here’s a 3 star hero you already have. They know if you don’t spend money , so they give you crap