ℹ Grimble – 5* Dark/ Purple - December 2019 HotM

I don’t have him maxed to test in war… but maybe I can if the right cleanup situation arises.

I did try testing vs Nordri Boss on an S3 map level… It was really tough to create a controlled scenario with minions to kill, and my my very fast heroes starting at zero mana (one with lvl 11 mana troop, one without)

Good idea…but probably not enough minions.

Neither do I…3.66…but will do some leveling just before war…think he will be useful.

Recorded some raids.

Found it. 8 destroyed minions fully load an empty Malosi (lvl 18 mana troop).

Pic 1 : Empty Malosi, 8 minions
Pic 2 : Trigger Grimble
Pic 3 : Fully charged Malosi

I could do a gif from that. :thinking:

So Mana troops also increase Grimbles effect.

7 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for confirming…

In your example, that’s a pretty big turning point in the battle. All those minions shed, Rigard got maxed to heal your crew, Malosi and Mist got mana-up to attack & potentially block status effects by one of them.

I will most likely max Grimble. Minion heavy teams are fairly common now, with heroes like Bera & Freya added to the list.

Lost it anyway :rofl:… all I need to say Snow White…and I was toast… even had no buffs active.

But I just wanted to get the proof.

What does this mean exactly?

1 Like

Grimble was a niche hero to begin with. You can now limit break someone like a s1 sartana or domitia to have a far better overall hero then grimble could ever be, even if he was to be broken.

Have you been hibernating under a rock for the last 6 months? Without a LB grimble is one of the most powerful and useful heroes around right now

5 Likes

To me he is a completely useless hero within my roster makeup. I’ve run across maybe 4 or 5 +20 grimbles in the last few months so I’m not alone in the feeling he has limited use within the current environment. If i could give you mine, i would.

In defense he has limited utility - he does well as a tank in minion wars. If you want to protect yourself from opponent minion makers you could also have him in your team. But yes, limited utility. But he is not meant to be a defensive hero, he excels in offence.

A year ago I think most people would have agreed with you, but in this day of Freya and Bera tanks I think very few people would. I have 2 maxed that I use for wars with devastating effect. He can:

• Turn Alfrike into a 9 tile hero if there are 5 minions on the board

• Fully charge a fast hero with 10 minions on the board. So you could fire a fast hero (e.g. Frigg), fire Grimble, then straight away fire Frigg again for devastating impact using the defense down - and fire Grimble again for good measure!

• Do HUGE damage to the oppoent. The 200-300 damage to all at the end of the special is just icing on the cake - it is the minion damage that really counts, which (taking a conservative estmate of 350 hp per opponent Freya/Bera minion) adds up to:

• 350 per hero at 1 minion each (total of 3000 damage overall)
    • 700 per hero at 2 minions each (total of 4750 damage overall)
    • 1050 per hero at 3 minions each (total of 6500 damage overall)

What other hero has that damage output? Is he niche because the above won’t happen unless there are minion makers? Yes - but it is such a prevalent niche that I’d hesitate to even call it that now. As it stands he not only completely negates the power of 2 of the most powerful and prevalent tanks at the top at the moment, but he actually turns them to your advantage

6 Likes

As much as I agree that Grimble isn’t useless nowadays, I do buy the argument that with him being so specialized and not really useful for general defense use - he’s not going to be a common Limit Breaking material. Especially with this crazy amount of excellent purple heroes. Alfrikes, Onyxes, Seshats, Killhares, Hels, Jabberwocks, Freyas, Beras… oh boy those are only the ones I could think of without even looking at the all hero roster list… all of them would get the aethers before he does. Because what if a new generation of defenses comes up that has nothing to do with minions - will you get your aethers back from Grimble? We all know the answer to that. Meanwhile, your general use monster that’s also solid for defense will not go out of fashion any time soon - Alfrike or Onyx will be valid and useful for many months to come.

And even for poorer rosters who just happen to randomly have Grimble, none of the premium superstars and just the TC20 classics - I’d most likely consider breaking Sartana first before Grimble, especially now that you can hope for a costume for her from the HA10.

I personally didn’t even emblem Grimble as I have more useful clerics even though I use him a lot. He does what he’s supposed to do, charges my slows or Ninjas to max - I don’t mind if he dies afterwards or if he deals 100 dmg less than he could on +20.

2 Likes

Unless you find Grimble dying a lot, I agree that he isn’t the best candidate for LB. He is so sturdy that he shouldn’t die a lot, and you are right that getting him a bit more oonph on his punch will not really help your cause (it may even be a detriment, if he prematurely kills off the minion makers and additionally gets you the mana cut). He is a superstar, but not really a LB candidate. Unless he all of a sudden starts dying all the time because of these “super powered LB defenses”, then I would re-evaluate.

To me LBs are about increasing surivvability of key heroes that are on the fragile side, or increasing the punch of super heavy hitters - or versatile multi purposers. So 4* healers and 5* heroes like Lord Loki. I might end up doing Alfrike too because I use her daily in raids and she will be a VF tank too, so that ticks the multi purpose box

2 Likes

Why would someone use anti-minion hero in defense unless in minion war? You can just bring no minion and that hero will be useless.

2 Likes

Grimble is an absolute gem and in the current minion world he is a top top attacking hero. Failing to recognize that (especially if you do have him and not use him) is your big loss. I have one at +18 and currently maxing the second one.

Judging heroes solely based on defense performance is a mistake. Not all heroes are made for defense, Grimble is not either.

On LB front I agree with what others said, he does not need it, many other purples in front of him in the line.

Seriously, if you have Grimble in your roster, try and learn to use him.

6 Likes

This is spot on. People tend to judge and “grade” heroes based on defensive capabilities. I don’t see this guy in top defenses so he must suck! LOL! Grimble is amazing in the current meta (on offense). I saw someone recently grade Hannah a “C” because she isn’t great defensively. She is fabulous on offense. Solid A IMO. In any case opinions are opinions. They’re free to think that Grimble sucks. Their loss!

4 Likes

Appreciate the feedback regarding him. I honestly don’t know why I still play as I obviously don’t use the heroes in their intended way. Guess I’m just stuck in a rut of using/doing the same things i always do as I really have had no reason to change. You get like that when you do minimal pulls usually netting a pile of feeders. Not many people can say they’ve gone 2+ months this year having 0 heroes to level. Got so bored I maxed s1 stuff I’ll likely never use like azlar, Richard and kadilan or it would have been 3+ months.

I’ll give the goat riding man a whirl next week as everyone here is saying he is a fantastic hero now. Worst thing that can happen is I feed him to dawa out of frustration.

1 Like

I know the feeling. Though my roster is quite good with some moderate spending in the past, i switched to c2p some time ago, so mostly only a few coin pulls with noone to level.

I recently maxed a Khagan to +18 out of boredom, but useful for rush at least.

If you would like and send me your roster, I could give a tip or two to build a team around your grimble.

2 Likes

His azlar or other slow heroes may work well

2 Likes

Appreciate the offer but once i swap phones next weekend I don’t plan on reinstalling the game until maybe end of august after my 2+ years in planning, 6 week vacation is done. Just trying to stay motivated with forum involvement in hopes my enthusiasm for the game returns when I’m done.

I will give grimble a closer look though. Nothing but high praise by everyone means I’m in the wrong about him for sure.

2 Likes

Both replies bring up valid points. As my roster has mitsuko as my only s2 5*, fenrir as my only s3 5*, 0 s4 5* and malicna as the only 5* i received in 2021 that is not s1, that leaves me in the non-whale arena where grimble has limited usefulness to me.

While he is useful to some and useless to others it makes the consideration of whom to break a more thought provoking process, which is good for the enjoyment of the game.

I appreciate both of your opinions and i think it gives others a view on why breakers may not be the feature sgg implemented that will cause mass player exodus it was initially made to be.

Thank you both for the input.

1 Like