Getting Acknowledged for Helping SG create a new Hero

I don’t think we are.

You think they are new ideas that should get a pat on the back. We think they were ideas probably already in the hopper.

3 Likes

I had someone from beta tell me that they were pushing the ideas for the celestials I created, and were waiting for a reply. I’m going to send that beta tester a link to this thread and hopefully they respond.

Something to consider from that conversation is the fact that beta was interested in my ideas or any of the ideas from that thread in the first place.

I think it would be great for SG to make more use of fan ideas and recognise people. (still waiting for the advance for my movie script @petri)

But I think it’s fair to say that clowns, witch doctors and Greek gods have been around for hundreds of years.

Coming up with unique, interesting and balanced specials and stats is the real trick.

6 Likes

February 14th. They listened to my pleas. I want a Black Knight avatar!

8 Likes

When Season 2 first came out, I posted this…

…and then by the end of Season 2 Muggy was introduced.

Did that post inspire the creation of Muggy? Maybe, who knows. Do I need to be acknowledged for that? Not really. Is Muggy still like totally omg the best thing evah? I think so, and that’s all that really matters to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Muggy

Muggy is definitely a homage to your post.

I think that is awesome!

Because. Humans.

But.

Legal never lets the game studio acknowledge homages unless a contract has been signed. Mostly because a contract means billable hours have already been spent, so no additional charge. No contract could lead to legal action, and billable hours defending, so everyone involved just quietly pretends there is nothing to see here.

6 Likes

Im with CVS on this, it’s not like the idea is so incredibly unique that the devs have never thought of it before. Plus, it’s not even exactly the same, just like one or two of the abilities have similarities. Looking at the list of ideas in the Create a Hero thread, it’s not that hard to have overlapping ideas

What if, but only if, those heroes were not inspired by yours?
They certainly have some points they resemble each other, but it’s surely not a copycat.

Now, it happens to me at least 3 times to have a shiny idea that i had the urge to post on the forum, completely sure it was only outcome of my brilliant mind, only to find myself other 5 people having exactly the same (or very similar) proposition before me.

Long story short: can’t just be a coincidence?

How many hero proposition have you done in that thread?

I’ve done 7 or 8, but those are the only two that have been like by moderator. I feel like y’all are being very, very naive. The idea for the chesire cat came from that thread and so did G. Chameleon. Those were NOT my ideas, but still a gamer came up with them. No acknowledgement what so ever.

It isn’t ridiculous to want your ideas to be acknowledged. Especially if you’re a creative.

@Gryphonknight, your explanation makes the most sense. I can accept that one.

Posting in public forums will 100% of the time bring in differing opinions. My opinion is that the heros that are currently in beta are not dramatically different from anything else SG has launched. Thus the idea that multiple people had similar ideas (Probably SG first since they are PAID to be thinking of and developing these Heroes and needs months and months of dev, tests, and QA before launching to beta or public) is the most plausible path here to me.

I’m sorry that doesn’t match with your idea of what happened. If you are a creative, I’m sure that is frustrating.

But in my line of work (applications of AI and Machine Learning to complex medical conversations) we get feedback, client suggestions, and other forms of feedback every day through the sales, implementation, and post live support process. It is RARE that I hear anything truly new that doesn’t already exist on our product roadmap, discussion documents, or a random email/slack thread within the company.

So, you see where I am coming from?

3 Likes

@Cvs

That was someone else’s idea for a hero. Look familiar? It’s the Hatter and Cheshire rolled into one. You can say SG had the idea first, but I highly doubt it. Add to the fact that both that post and mine are one behind the other only makes it that more suspicious.

Maybe you’re right, maybe the two of us aren’t that creative, we can just cherry pick certain things from the future, but I highly doubt that’s it.

Seeing hero ideas that you suggested should be all the acknowledgment you need I feel… obviously they aren’t going to come right out and say it, but the fact that the heroes semi closely resemble the concepts, that’s pretty cool I’d say. Not sure how them sending you a personal message stating they liked your ideas would create more happiness for you … but that could also just be my personality.

5 Likes

Agree to disagree then.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Like I said, forums bring counter points. Mine is that those ideas are not so novel or unique that I couldn’t imagine them already being in the hopper at SG.

1 Like

As a creative and someone who’s had many of their ideas used by others in the past has really left me jaded. Perhaps that is the only reason this thread exists. I don’t asked to be validated often for my work, but when multiple ideas are used… a nod my direction couldn’t hurt. I feel like others should feel the same, but if they don’t, I guess we could chalk it off to personality differences. @amessofamind

Just to be clear, moderators are players who volunteer.

We have no role in originating hero design at all, that’s entirely handled by Small Giant Staff.

By the time any of us even see a design idea in Beta, the artwork is already designed and finished, and the Special Skill has been created and programmed.

They listen to feedback from Beta players on adjusting heroes to some extent, but it would be very overstated to say that Beta players, including moderators, have a direct role in hero design.

3 Likes

Fair enough, I certainly think your hero ideas were interesting and creative, and I’m glad that they did use some of the ideas from the forums … to bad they didn’t send you a message but nonetheless, it does look like they used parts, so… that should make you feel good regardless of a personal reach out.

1 Like

I suggested it in Aug 2018

Who got there first?

1 Like

I suggested a hero that upon death, reduced the effectiveness of ghost tiles in peer one time… if that ever comes to be… you heard it here first. :slight_smile:

Napo is a 5* green healer with the ability to summon minions that siphon off enemy mana… that’s pretty much LotL exactly.

Hermes cleanses the entire board and does damage dealt based on the number of buffs and nerfs that were cleanses. The only difference between himself and Snow White is that she only targets one with the damage and he hit all enemies.

I’m not sure how you don’t see what I see and I’m really not sure how you could think that my ideas were already being thought of at SG. Especially given their ability to tell a story.