General Chat in the game should NOT be first thing newbys find

They did by allowing to BLOCK, IGNORE & REPORT those bullies.

If missing the point is giving you (and anyone else reading this thread experiencing similar issues) a much safer and more pleasant alternative option for “quietly chatting and offering alliance spots”; then guilty.

But it’s really not.

And I’m mildly skeptical that anyone can ever “quietly chat” in the global chat forum on the game. It moved to fast at every hour of the day and is overrun by recruitment posts; trolls and like 10-12 regular global chat royalty to really get a decent conversation flow on.

To me, this complaint is similar to being upset that one couldn’t have a romantic conversation in the stands of an F1 race.

1 Like

Oh… so it’s ok they do it cause she can block them? Get a flipping grip guy… I kinda like this game and she made an excellent point. Do we really want most players subjected to that daily ( don’t forget a low percentage are on the forumns) . So, if that’s their only “media” to the game… we have failed if we let that happen. My guess is your about 23 years old at most bud.

1 Like

I am so sorry you were subjected to such awful treatment. Yes, you can BLOCK people, and yes you can IGNORE the comments, but the point remains as some have repeatedly said, it should, NOT happen.

Thank you @FluffyUnicorn for taking the time to create this thread, it can’t have been easy. I was totally oblivious to the fact Global chat had gotten so out of control - yeah I just hang out on the forum. And you make many valid points, especially for newer players, are they to surmise if reading Global chat, that sort of dialogue and bullying is normal? That would be really sad.

7 Likes

I once tried reading general chat. I ran away fast with my tail beween my legs. I would NEVER consider posting anything there. Reminds me far too much of the comments section on many YouTube videos.

First, there is NO way to have a conversation on general chat. You make a comment and it is off the screen before you can blink. And what follows it is just banal and weird millenial nonspeak.

LOL
r u kewl?
Hey

and more of the same

Arrgh.

Edit: for OP @FluffyUnicorn don’t give up on the game for that reason. There are so many other more effective ways to recruit for your alliance without using the minefield of general chat.

5 Likes

I agree.

SGG uses Devs to improve the game.

For them, chat is the toy that comes in a box of cracker jacks or cereal.

Line and Discord use Devs to improve chatting ( their core functionality) which includes better blocking, reporting, banning and if necessary device banning.

For them, chat is the artisanal customized toy made for the customer like Build-A-Bear.

Empires is never going to have chat as good as Line and Discord .

Notes

Click for notes

FIN

8 Likes

@FluffyUnicorn, I love the forums and avoid the global chat like the plague that it is.
Instead of leaving why not try the forums here? There are no personal attacks, and the silly posts are quickly flagged. You can pay no attention to those as the moderators here quickly fix any offense.
I’ve had good luck recruiting right here and have well over 25 (ahhh a bit lower I had to remove a few players due to inactivity today) and players seem to stick around. I may be a training alliance but the new players have become war beasts quite quickly.
Well, I believe I’ve bored you quite enough, Good Luck and I hope everything works out

P.S Leaving is not the answer, then the trolls win. Why not just avoid them? It’s quite easy, avoid global chat.

4 Likes

Cesspool, I use that term all the time :rofl:

4 Likes

Then your extremely wrong by about 33 years m8.

I have a total grip m8.

Let me ask you and all those that think the current 3 options are not enough to control ones own chatroom experiences then.

Other than censoring words which is already done and offering you these 3 options.

WHAT can be done to avoid bulling in an area which nedds to be
None racist
Not discriminate
Allow every player to chat

Lets have an example scenario here just for fun between you and me (remember nothing personal here just a simple example)

Lets say we are both in the chatroom.
I come in to recruit and your then doing the same but yet both of us only come here maybe once a week or so.

ME- I say something you don’t like

YOU - you respond with a “got get yourself ?”
ME - I respond with no your the ?
YOU - then you respond with " I ? your ? "
ME - ???

And it goes on and on.

Who is the bully really as we are both saying stuff that shouldn’t be said in a chatroom.

1. I can report you and we could both get banned
  2. I can ignore you and just go on with my day
  3. I can block you and have nothing to do with you again.

How was SG suppose to stop us from exchaning those words.

Please explain.

Hi fluffy unicorn I myself have never looked at the community chat having found a good alliance my first pick but I can definitely empathize with your experiencing having had to quit a couple of games exactly for the same reason ( Supercell And Zynga). So this is all I can offer you, If you like the game don’t let others determine what games you play it only empowers them to keep being ■■■■■■■■ Secondly are you completely determined to have your own halliance and if not are you willing to check out others. I play for Gryphons Gaurd we are a fun group with all levels of players. We are very helpfull to one another and try to work as team players as best we can. Now that being said were not always a pg 13 or even an R rating in the chat but were never vulgar, insulting, explicit, or mean to each other but conversations and comments can go into the adult humor dept at times.

1 Like

WOW you’re -10?

8 Likes

No, I had my own alli for a long time, but I was in the habit of trying to help new groups get off the ground, hence why I was in GC looking for players. I’ll admit that may have not been the wisest choice, but really what was I doing wrong?

Yes totally a 10yr old excutive manager, lol

Listen I am not any means saying there is nothing wrong with chatrooms or that bullies shoukd be given a free pass BUT unfortunately the problem is far greater than most people realize to counteract which is why all I am trying to do is explain that it’s better to to use one of the 3 options provided and be HAPPY than it is to give yourself a headache over it and frustrate yourself because at the end of the day the only one upset is yourself.

Nothing!
To summarise
1 - avoid Global chat
2 - the forum AR section is better for recruitment
3 - You should keep playing

And a belated… Welcome to the forum @FluffyUnicorn. :smile:

10 Likes

Yes, it is a far bigger problem that is really internet-wide and has to do with the free range anonymity of being online. There is no realization that “with great power comes great responsibility”. Everyone screams about rights but no one acknowledges the responsibilities that come with them. Yes, free speech is incredibly important but you don’t have free speech if you smother someone else’s.

4 Likes

Your doing nothing wrong in my eyes as far as I can see I’ve always just found that the internet world is to big with too many people being able to take there life frustrations out anonymously on others while the mob of others feed in to the foolishness because there is no consequences for there foolishness so Over the years I’ve just come to the conclusion if it says global just spend as little time as possible in there and bring lots of grains of salt hope you don’t leave something you enjoy because of bullies. Your welcome to check our alliance out if you like.

Hence the BLOCK button.

The chatrooms are fast and most of the time they chat about stuff that doesn’t interest me so what do I do to be able to recruit and stay sane at the same time?

1. block other recruiters
  2. block those that are rude

This might be about 20 in the first couple of minutes. Then I have achieved 2 things

1. completely slowed the chatroom down to a far more readable speed
  2. removed all the crap that doesn’t interest me
  3. made recruiting others so much easier.

Once I am finished it takes me 10 seconds to unblock those.

I am never frustrated by chatrooms

I had full control and didn’t expect others to solve my issues with the chatroom trolling or bulling.

I had total free speech at all times.

1 Like

Bullies exist and that won’t be changed. Why they bully no one really knows. It is very difficult to monitor every aspect of social media without people thinking our free speech is being impeded on (American speaking).

We just need to take care of our self and be the bigger person. Don’t feed into them because that is all they want is the attention.

We just need to police ourselves and know when enough is enough.

I used to have thin skin and little stuff bothered me. But you gotta realize these “bullies” don’t know you from a bar of soap (using the analogy above) so just ignore and move on.

The best advice right now would be for you to avoid there, keep playing the game, and let us forum goers help you out. It is much more enjoyable here.

Also, as mentioned the chat is something that was discussed with the moderators of the forum and the staff of SG so should be something that is looked at for improvement in the future (hopefully near).

So I see this as a win win for you. You get to hang out with the cool kids on the forum that will help you grow leaps and bounds more than a “bully” chatroom and SG will be looking into the issue brought up.

Welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy your stay :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Agreed, just far more work than I am willing to put in to a general chat that really has no interest for me personally.

And I agree, with what you say. But for someone like myself who is a “social media” or “message board” luddite, it can be a harrowing experience.
Unless I’m the only person in Empires who isnt well versed in the pitfalls of the mob? :thinking:

2 Likes