Frigg needs a big nerf

I don’t have Frigg but certainly don’t want her nerfed why is there constant calls for nerfing hero’s obviously so many want it easy don’t like a challenge why don’t you find a game thats states for ages 5 years old and upwards

5 Likes

imo, What makes Frigg so strong is not her special, but the buff she receives from BK. and Since he’ll fire first before Frigg, any tile sent her way will only boost her attack. This is where Debuffers come in. Using Debuffers will slow them down. Instead of calling for nerfs, figure out a way to beat the team. When S4 drops, this team will be easier to beat

1 Like

I truly don’t understand nor can I get behind this logic. Adding more heroes as a way to battle current ones is going to do nothing but create a cycle of power creep. Before it was one hero (Guin), then it was two (Vela/Telluria) and now it’s three with two combinations (Frigg/BK/Odin or Cobalt/Garnet/Onyx or a combination of the six). It’s crazy to think that the solution you all want is to simply create heroes just as powerful to counter them INSTEAD of fixing the heroes causing the issue.

3 Likes

And what “huge nerf” do you propose for her?

1 Like

Yeah debuff when taunt is active and you need 2 dispells to remove taunt and berserk later - great idea.

And what is your suggestion?

I couldn’t disagree more with this suggestion. No nerf necessary!

5 Likes

Allow dispel to remove taunt and berserk together

That would involve rewriting what taunt does altogether, across multiple heroes, and would defeat the purpose of taunt.

But I’m talking about Frigg

2 Likes

I really don’t like the idea of nerfing already released heroes because what their card looks like is the basis of our decisions to use very rare items and tons of resources on them.

Nevertheless, I think I can understand the frustration of some players. For example, I have an Isarnia in my defense. Her damage output and -44% defense to all enemies used to justify slow mana so I understood the drawback. The scopes, the blade, the tome were so hard to find, I could finally spend them on a hero. I also chose to emblem Isarnia with precious wizard emblems because she was way too fragile to be in my defense. It was a high price to pay.

Although I don’t like nerfing heroes (bait and switch feelings…) I guess there’s a part of me who is very frstrated and think that it’s unfair. My hero with extraordinary low odds whom I was so proud to have had now a competitor at fast speed in defense + an OK defense (although she’s no tank). It goes against the idea of a balance that I genuinely believed SG was pursuing.

So I understand the OP. I think with a good board and strategy you can defeat her. But the principles of “balance”, drawbacks that SG have sold us for so long really seem to have been a lie, some heroes can have it all while others are condemned to stay flawed and subpar (although there were once very interesting options).

1 Like

She also does defense down for 6 turns vs. Frigg’s 3 turns, which is a HUGE difference. Also, Isarnia does -44% every single time but Frigg only does that once in a while—typically much less.

Let’s remember that SG were the ones who oversaw testing and released Frigg (with a significant nerf). So, considering there’s like 3 years between these characters and Frigg is a top hero, it stands to reason that this is what balance means to them.

A once top-of-the-line gaming computer after a few years is going to be noticeably worse compared to brand new top-of-the-line stuff—why should this game be any different?

3 Likes

Exactly! I want my tonics and scopes back for Vela and Telluria. I have several nature and ice heros at 3-70 that deserve some tonic/scope love.

Good points, and once again I’m not pro-nerf.

In defense it’s rare that Frigg deals maximal damage but also very rare that Isarnia gets to fire once although the damage is guaranteed and the ailment lasts longer. Since the costumes (Caedmon…) it’s fairly easy to purify def down as well during these six turns. There’s a reason Isarnia doesn’t appear that much in top defenses. I’d much rather have Frigg in my defense!

It’s actually a vast question about the philosophy and business decisions of Small Giant, that’s true. I guess a part of me remains conservative! I don’t necessarily agree with the idea that the game needs to lead to a power creep but who am I to judge.

2 Likes

Fair enough. The only thing I’ll add is that defense is a pretty trivial part of the game and shouldn’t get the weight it’s given by players. Offense is much more key to the actual gaming experience :vulcan_salute:t2:

3 Likes

Medium mana OR less damage and less percent adding to damage from onboard tiles (the same for the defence decrease).

If an overpowered hero comes out that completely upsets the balance there’s 2 outcomes.

• You nerf that hero and upset those who pulled them

• You don’t nerf them… Meaning most heroes prior to that one have in effect been given a stealth nerf just by the new heroes existence

Power creep is going to happen, most will accept that.

However, the speed and degree of power creep in the last year has been staggering and if it continues the game won’t survive as few people can afford to keep up.

Season 1 heroes were still viable through almost the whole of Season 2 and the HOTM’s that came out during the first 3 years.

Yes, they did lose ground gradually but you really only had Gravemaker and Guinevere who massively upset the balance overnight.

Season 3 saw a much bigger creep but costumes managed to bring it back to a somewhat acceptable level.

The last year though has seen the likes of Finley, Jabberwocky, the GTV fiasco, Odin/Frigg and the ninjas completely transform the game.

All S1 heroes(even with costumes), along with most S2 and first 20 odd HOTM’s are now pretty much redundant.

The new villain event and S4 heroes seem to show that is only going to continue.

Instead of seeing heroes slowly being replaced and superseded over time, we’re instead seeing team lineups needing to be completely replaced every couple of months.

The cost, time and effort involved in that is just driving everyone apart from the whales away.

A hero I got 3 years ago being essentially useless now isn’t unreasonable but to have almost half the heroes I got barely a year ago being completely outclassed so quickly is unreasonable.

10 Likes

Season 1 heroes, this many years into the game, are simply not designed or expected to compete at the top.

You think the 2005 Toyota Corolla is going to be on par with the new Supra? Of course not. You think the iPhone 4 is going to take pictures as good as the new iPhone 12? Of course not.

Every business is in the business of increasing the quality and performance of new products, which phases out the older ones, to a degree.

The game is 100% playable with s1 heroes but there’s a strong sense of entitlement to think any roster should be able to beat any roster.

6 Likes

I did say S1 heroes are not good enough now and that was reasonable after 3 years(albeit begrudgingly so)

My main concern is that heroes I got in the last year have been totally superseded already.

Power creep is a fact of life but that power creep is accelerating at an alarming and unsustainable rate in the last 6 months

1 Like

Which heroes did you get in the last year that are superseded already?

And, we can’t factor s4 and Villains into the conversation because not only are they not released, they’ve only gone through a single round of beta. S3 heroes are pretty reasonable now but the first drafts of realm bonuses in beta were totally over the top OP.

The last 12 months is riddled with OP heroes in beta that end up being released much tamer. Qualms about balance can’t be had against projected heroes—we need to deal in hard facts.

1 Like

In my opinion.
Empires and Puzzles is the product.
And it’s quality/performance has a linear relationship to balance. And when balance takes a back seat, so does the quality of this game…

When everyone is driving the new Supra… the game is a snooze:

And not all players who drove last summer’s Supra agreed that the experience was enjoyable and sided with balance. Unfortunately, most of them tired out and left.

Because the loudest solution is stronger, shiny new toys. Instead of unique and fresh new content. That’s actually balanced, such as Myztero. Who isn’t balanced…

Comparing heroes to cars has always been festive. But unique skills will make money also. While your super creep business model is cancerous!

Sure… S1’s without costumes are playable, but on a competitive level? I’m not playing with strictly costumeless S1’s and I know your not either @Mr.Spock. But it’s not difficult to imagine the enjoyment factor limiting, for those that are. And if the trend continues?! What’s next? Will you being saying the same thing about S2 heroes this time next year?

And on the other end… when all the wars and raids were the same… the enjoyment factor was gross… moldy…
sleepy!

Super creeps are, in my opinion, pure laziness! And a poor direction for the game.

6 Likes