Forums do not represent player base

I was thinking more in the line of Judas Priest (Night Crawler) :rofl:

1 Like

crawler

I’ve never considered these forums to ever represent the player base but I do consider these forums some of the most dedicated players in the game.

It’s a place for people who are really into this game to help each other out, discuss, and find ways to share ideas about a game we all enjoy (for the most part)

Though, if i was ever a dev and stuck on an idea, I would rather get feedback from this group of people than what the actual average player base is. Though there are some dumb ideas here and there, for the most part there is a lot of stimulating and interesting discussion, data, and criticism that people offer that could be invaluable for the game to prosper. Though, i guess that’s what beta testers are for (if only they listened to the beta testers more!!)

2 Likes

In many ways, it seems like the publicly recruited people are more like Charlie testers (or Cocoa testers, if you’re old enough!). By the time the feature gets to “Beta”, it seems like SGG is really unwilling to let a concept go. They will make numerical adjustments, but will not abandon a feature that has made it to that point. It speaks, conceptually, to testing done very late in the development cycle; contrast a more ususal Beta, where issues that arise from exposure to a wider audience might trigger a scrap, or total redesign.

I wonder if this is an intentional departure from a more “usual” dev cycle, a la “agile” or whatever is super-cool now.

1 Like

Nearly half of my alliance is female.

Curiously… most of them don’t post here. They occasionally read stuff here, but most of them have the good sense not to get into pointless debates like I do.

:laughing:

Now that’s just mean. :frowning_face:

Changing my forum special skill to riposte.

5 Likes

Who do you think you are, @rigs? :laughing:

2 Likes

Nah, I speak my mind, but I also try to regulate my internet aggressiveness. Not because I’m incapable of being aggressive, but because being overly aggressive tends to get me into trouble and doesn’t make for nice civil discussions.

Fixed that for you…

1 Like

Ooh! Nice catch!

No offense @LordDust, I like your posts, but @pinkymadigan kinda got you there…

Forum may represent player base.
The question is if it represents the player base that Zynga/SGG cares about the most.

2 Likes

Actually, I think it does.

I believe that the people who post here are at least somewhat more likely to be spenders vs. those who don’t post here.

1 Like

I guess I don’t belong here, then :rofl:

*hides in his free cave

4 Likes

LOL I said somewhat more likely. There are plenty of free players who post here. I think free players represent the vast majority of the overall playerbase. :wink:

EDIT: just as a random guesstimate… I’d say that about 40% of the regular forum posters are F2P, 40% are C2P, 20% are really big spenders.

Compared to actual game population where I’d estimate that 80% are F2P, 15% are C2P, and only 5% big spenders.

Just very rough guesstimates.

Obviously big spenders are more likely to be more vocal because they are “owed” something.

1 Like

Yeah, I was kidding :stuck_out_tongue: SGG needs F2P players feedback as they also have to keep a good balance for us. Every free player is a potential spending one, so they must keep them close.

1 Like

I’m a former C2P gone F2P myself (though, as they say, once you’ve spent money, you can never truly call yourself F2P ever again)… can’t unpop that bubble I guess…

But since time immemorial, I have been saying on here that SG needs to start offering something that is affordable and tempting enough to get the F2P people to stop and think, “hmmm maybe this is worth spending a couple of dollars on after all…?”

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if this game was geared towards attracting more low spenders, instead of the old tried and true whale hunting model that they currently use.

Problems with the whale hunting model: the whales expect to be rewarded handsomely for their very hefty donations. Which means um… well, the obvious. Common sense dictates that biggest donors are going to get all the best perks all the time. Otherwise, why would they bother donating?

“Pay to win” is a dirty, dirty term. But if the shoe fits…

Second problem with whale hunting. Eventually the whales get bored. Then you need to find more whales.

There’s a big ocean of potential fish (game players) out there in the mobile app world, but only a small portion of them are whales. Eventually there is going to come a day where SG will have to stop baiting their hooks to catch whales, and maybe start listening to their smaller fish if they want to continue having a successful, sustainable business model.

Currently, players like you and I are not their target audience. But they ignore us at their own peril.

EDIT: I have to say, the big spenders in this game have been incredibly patient. I know that if I had spent $10,000 for the brand new model of Telluria 1000-GTX Turbo, and a month later they did a recall on it and removed the turbo, and I called into customer service and they sent me a generic customer service reply email…

LOL

:laughing:

1 Like

I keep this phrase. Nailed it.

Saddest part of being a whale. They just take your oil and leave you wandering around until you leave.

2 Likes

I would be absolutely livid! I mean, I post some rants here and there about game stuff that I think is well… for lack of a better term, just kind of dumb, and not worth the money… but holy crap. If I spent the level of money that some people in this game have spent… I would expect to have my own personal customer service representative assigned to answer my phone calls 24/7.

And for anyone who thinks that’s excessive. Is it really? I’ve seen posts from people on here saying they’ve spent $30,000 on this game. That is on par with, perhaps even higher than the full annual salary of an average customer service representative in the U.S.

EDIT: Serious offer SG: if you have players who spend on average 20k+ USD a year on the game. I make you a deal. You give me half of those profits. I will answer the phone when they call, even in the middle of the night, and you give me power to fix their RNG on command. You win, I win, they win. That’s 3 wins.

I do feel those are insame amounts of money for a mobile game. I wouldn’t spend more than the price of a traditional console or PC game, and that would be worthless here ($60 would give you nothing). Even $300 is already insane for me.
But I like to guess that people that spend that much do have a lot of money and therefore is not really significant for them to spend thousands on a mobile game. Because I also don’t get why spending so much. On pulls? How many pulls do you need to have a good roster? With 30,000 you’d end with entire teams of the same HotM, something totally useless.

1 Like

I am of the same thought. I’m used to spending anywhere between $20 to $60 USD on any one game. That is fine. The $60 games, I only buy if it’s from a developer I already know and trust, or if I’ve read all the reviews after it comes out and it looks like it’s worth the money.

Occasionally I pass the $60 threshold. If I have a game I spent $60 for and they now have a DLC that looks amazing. I don’t just buy every DLC, I won’t buy it if all it has is an extra 4 hours of storyline or whatever. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Not worth. But if it adds like an entire new “element” to the gameplay… something that I could easily see myself sinking another 100+ hours into? Okay, yes, here’s another $10 or whatever. 10/10 worth it! :+1:

But, man. I spend $10 on gems in E&P and what do I get? Friar Tuck, Dawa, and Prisca? GTFO of here with that nonsense, I want my money back.

1 Like

SGG: “Oh, how sad. No.”

1 Like