Forum Interviews: An Audience with @theChef 🎙️

3vphg5

Good morrow, fair friends. Today, we speak to event champion, top alliance leader and, most crucially, actual chef@thechef

Wash your hands :sweat_drops::palms_up_together:, wear a mask as appropriate :mask: and stay at home :house:.

Remember to #PlayApartTogether

If you missed them, you can find previous interviews below:

@Math4lyfe - Here

@Kikyo - Here

@BarryWuzHere -Here

@IvyTheTerrible - Here

@Pois1 - Here

@akionna - Here

The next interview is with @MysterySpin. And I’m not usually lost for words but, well, you’ll have to read it for yourself.
He also fired some questions back at me, so I’ll post my answers too.

17 Likes

how long have you been playing? :hourglass_flowing_sand:

I’ve been playing since May 2017. I’m an oldtimer in here lol.

what’s your current role in your alliance? :bar_chart:

I’m the leader of Chef’s Kitchen. I also am responsible for recruiting for us. And I am the mascotte for both my own alliance as well as Chef’s Pantry, our sister alliance.

which hero are you currently levelling and how will you use them? :muscle:

I am currently leveling Freya. I was fortunate enough to pull her AND Telluria. Where Telluria’s function is pretty clear, I have no clue how I’m going to use Freya. But that’s part of the fun for me, experimenting with heroes, find out their strengths and weaknesses and figure out in what situations they will be useful.

Which is your favourite hero in your roster, and why? :heart:

That’s a tough question to be honest. It has definitely changed over the years and often I had multiple favorite heroes. If I had to pick… one that’s always been at the top of my list is Ares. His versatility is unmatched in the game and I think he’s still one of the best in the game to this day.

Do you have a particular memory of a great victory, a tragic defeat or a moment of madness? :exploding_head:

Too many memories. Call it cliche, but for me it’s all about the community. The friends that I’ve made and the moments I shared with them is what motivates me the most and what I hold dearest.
If I had to pick a personal, gameplay related moment, it’s winning 2 consecutive challenge events on Epic. Especially the 2nd win, because I pulled it off with minimal resources compared to the month before.

Which Season 1 hero would you most recommend to a new player? :man_student:

Rigard. Season 1 5* will always stay relevant thanks to costumes and emblems. But Rigard is probably the only S1 4* that I still use very regularly (and I do not have his costume). He’s beefy enough to keep up with the meta and one can not have too many cleansers.

What can you see out of your window right now? :telescope:

Not much. I live in a pretty boring neighborhood.

If @petri and you were on a road trip, where would you be going and what snacks would you bring? :red_car:

Man, I liked the original question better, so I’m gonna pretend it’s a road trip to my restaurant ;). And if it would be with Petri, I’d probably make something Finnish. Not to impress, but I like to try out new stuff and I’ve never tried cooking Scandinavian dishes. Petri would have to make the sacrifice of being my test subject.

If you could make two changes to the game, one realistic and one less so, what would they be? :crystal_ball:

I’ve been thinking about this question for a while… there’s a lot that could and/or should be changed in my opinion. From small QoL updates to complete redo’s of major features. Let me keep it light and say this;
Realistically: an auto-autofarm function. Kinda like the way loot tickets work, but instead of instant loot, it actually plays the levels.
Less realistically: 1k gems total rewarded in all of PoV and the ability to buy the pass with gems instead of directly with money. A lot of games use this system in their “Battlepasses” and I think that it works really well. This motivates the f2p and c2p to buy the Valor Pass because they would only have to buy it once and earn it back by finishing PoV and use the gems to buy the next one.

If I gave you $1000 to spend frivolously , what would you buy? :moneybag:

A PC and a camera. I love streaming E&P and hanging out with the community on YouTube, but I’ve had way to many issues with my internet and my equipment. A recently got an upgrade, but ultimately I would want a desktop for it. And I’d stream other games too, I have been playing a ton of Call of Duty: Warzone recently and it’s an amazing game to stream, very entertaining.

this is a really strange and challenging time for all of us across the whole player base and all our communities around the world. How has your alliance been supporting each other or those around them? :handshake:

We have lifted the required damage on Titans to relief people from stressing over it. And we’re completely open to talk about what’s going on around us and the worries people have. We find comfort in one another and do everything we can to help ease the overall anxiety and insecurity that’s currently among us with this terrible situation. Covid has recently hit my own family and even though I haven’t talked about it much, whenever I tell anyone, I get a lot of support from people in or outside of the alliance. It’s times like this that show how great the E&P community is!

21 Likes

Always enjoyable good sir.

Nice getting to know/hear from you @TheChef what cuisine does your restaurant specialize in or are you more a what’s in season/experimental type?

9 Likes

I think something missing from this @JonahTheBard is the number of achievements that @TheChef has had.

Please toot your own horn here!!

How many Challenge Events have you won now?

How many placed in top 3?

How many in top 10?

Are there any other “massive” achievements you’ve had?

10 Likes

another great interview!

as a chef, @TheChef , what do you think it Chef Boldtusk? (I’m still sleepy so i’m being frivolous and silly here, lol, but either silly or serious answers can work, i’m easy :slight_smile: )

on a more serious note, congratulations on all your achievements (I’m happy placing in top 5000 in Epic, so lots of respect for finishing 1st in an event!). and wishing you and your family all the best re COVID

7 Likes

I’ll second voidstrike - I’d really enjoy hearing more about your cooking / restaurant. Best dishes, type of cuisine, number of Michelin stars, etc. If you’re willing to share, what is it called (if too personal, np). Will also accept any pictures of food.

Freya seems great, but I’ve found her to be a lackluster defender so far. I don’t have her, but I’m assuming she’ll be great with heroes like Telluria and Seshat. Seems really fun.

I have never competed in events (though I finish them all), but I’m increasingly been wondering if I should / almost have to to get another loot source. If I were going to take a small first step in that direction, what would you recommend I do? I’m pretty sure I know the basics like desired items and generally red mono strat, but is there anything unusual you’d suggest? Even what tier to tackle first that may be easier to break into?

Sorry to hear about the COVID-19 situation. :frowning:

7 Likes

Me too!

I’m surprised there isn’t a community thread on this subject already.

@TheChef enjoyed reading your interview. I think its pretty amazing that your an actual chef and that you like to play Call of Duty. Please share some food pics if possible.

@JonahTheBard these interviews sessions are great! :+1:

7 Likes

Well, I currently don’t have an employer. I was supposed to start somewhere April 1st, but then Covid happened and that got postponed indefinitely.

Personally, I prefer comfort food, which is very broad because every country or culture has it’s own typ of comfort food. But wherever it’s from, it’s always good!

10 Likes

I have only won 2 Challenge events: last Wonderland and Pirates the month before that.

I honestly don’t know how many top 10 finishes I have. I’d say around 30 total if I gave a rough estimate.

One other massive achievement I had was starting 7DF (Fermented originally) and getting it to #1 in 73 days. That was pretty dope too.

8 Likes

Don’t talk to me about Chef Boldtusk lol. I’m still salty that SG didn’t give me one for free eventhough it’s like looking at myself!
(That’s not serious for those that think I’m entitled🤣)

10 Likes

There is! Though it didn’t really take off - maybe I should add something to it soon.

5 Likes

Sucks about the Covid situation, being in the industry (from corporate/administrative stance) I understand the cost-cutting measures being taken on limited staff. I hope they are able to get you in working soon as I am sure it’s hard to be away from your professional passion.

That’s awesome on the comfort food, it’s probably my favorite style, since it’s focus is on giving you that warm goofy smile when you’re finished.
I failed at my own truck startup (or rather have not yet succeeded and am taking an indefinite break to recoup my losses, regroup, retool and make another go at it) and my cuisine was incorporating comfort food with international flair.

4 Likes

You need 1 big skill for events I’d say: you have to be able to look 2 steps ahead and 2 steps back in a matter of seconds. This allows you to recognize good boards from bad ones.

A good score is made out of 3 things:
Time
Matchbonus
Chests (if you’re lucky)
A small part is health, but if one of the bosses fires his special, it’ll already hurt your time bonus and you won’t have a top score.

Ultimately, you want to get through the first wave of mobs in 1 move, maybe 2 on the later stages. So being able to recognize a good board is important because it’ll help your time bonus.

Once a board pops up, you need to immediately be able to see a move the could work. First thing you do is kinda predict what cascade it’s gonna cause and second thing you do is see if there’s other moves you can make that will create the move you initially saw. And all this needs to be done in like the first 2 seconds.

What to do when you get a chest?
Basically the same but you have 2 moves to set yourself up. The moment the chest opens, the above starts.
If you get a chest of wave 2 or 3 however, you have to just make moves that cause big cascades, once the chest opens, you bomb your way through again.

I’d say start with Rare if you have costumed Gunnar. The pretty much the cheapest to compete in and although the top 10 farms for chests on Rare because they have way more value, it’ll teach you the basics of eventing pretty well.

6 Likes

Comfort food should make you wanna pass out Al Bundy style, that’s what I love about it.
I have a beans on toast recipe that takes 4h to make (Jamie Oliver recipe), but it’s worth every second of the process and I legit have to take a nap after making and eating it.

4 Likes

Re Chef Boldy, now I’m imagining you wielding a frying pan with menace :rofl:

sorry to hear about the delays to your start date caused by COVID-19 . hope the employer will take proper care of you.

completely agree about comfort food - eat, get full, pass out, rinse, repeat.

and thank you kindly for the challenge event tips. I’ve been improving a little bit every month, and your tips are encouraging me to aim a bit higher this time.

6 Likes

Nice meeting you Chef! Hoping this Covid stuff ends soon and your back to cooking for appreciative patrons!

4 Likes

Thanks Mr chef and Johan keep it onwards n upwards!

4 Likes

That was a good interview. i especially liked the way you answered, “What are you looking at out your window?”

1 Like

I could’ve made something up, but yeah, I’d rather be real lol

3 Likes

Thanks for the insights Chef. I don’t know you but now I know a little bit about you so that’s a good thing. Best of luck in finding work and not gaining 50lbs being “forced” to eat all your comfort cooking lol

3 Likes

Cookie Settings