Forum Interviews An Audience with @NPNKY

3vphg5

Thank Goodness it’s Friday :raised_hands: although, for many of us the days are become a bit of a blur :persevere:

Well, here to raise us up from the Covid malaise is forum stalwart, medical miracle and Glorious Bar Steward (spelling?) @NPNKY!

@NPNKY was one of the first people on the forum I gravitated to in the early days and so she bears some responsibility for the sorry mess that I’ve become. I’m sure she’ll redeem herself, however with this interview :laughing:

Wash your hands :sweat_drops::palms_up_together:, wear a mask as appropriate :mask: and stay at home :house:.

Remember to #PlayApartTogether

If you missed them, you can find previous interviews below:

@NittanyLionRoar - Here

@Novo - Here

@MysterySpin - Here

@TheChef - Here

@Math4lyfe - Here

@Kikyo - Here

@BarryWuzHere -Here

@IvyTheTerrible - Here

@Pois1 - Here

@akionna - Here

Our interviews will be moving to every three days, hereafter.

For the next interview, I requested someone who works for Small Giant, but I’ve settled for the guy who lives in the stationary cupboard - the one and only @ScottySG.

19 Likes
  • how long have you been playing? :hourglass_flowing_sand:

I completed the tutorial on January 5, 2018, so I guess that’s when I started. I guess in game terms, that makes me middle aged.

• what’s your current role in your alliance? :bar_chart:

I founded Magnificent Bastards 814 days ago, after playing only about 2 1/2 months :thinking: and have been the leader ever since. I kept it closed for the first few months as a solo alliance, while I lurked here, and eventually realized I was missing out on a lot by not letting anyone else in, so I opened up the doors.

• which hero are you currently levelling and how will you use them? :muscle:

I’m currently finishing Tyr. He’s at 4/65. He will find a place on my red team, replacing either Santa or Marjana depending on whether I need Santa’s debuffs at that time. After that I’ll go back to on-color feeding until the next hero gets within 20 levels of max. Currently in the queue are Stonecleave followed by Freya for purple; Vivica followed by Mist for yellow (unless Woolerton drops into my lap); Magni followed by Mireweave and then Fenrir for blue, Carver followed by Berden #2 and then Telluria for green (I only have 3 tonics and my 3* greens lack hitters); and Sumle followed by Jean-François for red.

• Which is your favourite hero in your roster, and why? :heart:

My favorite hero on my roster is really a toss up. Isarnia was my first 5*. I pulled her my second day in game, when I had no idea the difference between a 2* and a 5*. Thank the Lord she didn’t meet the same fate as my first Bane and my first Wu Kong :pensive:. It took me 14 months to max her, thanks to waiting on telescopes, but she still sees the battlefield every war. She’s found some recent competition in Kvasir, though. I just love the little bee minions and the swarm animation. I’ve leveled 2 of him for 3* tournaments, and he is death by 1000 paper cuts.

• Do you have a particular memory of a great victory, a tragic defeat or a moment of madness? :exploding_head:

My favorite memory is probably our closest war victory as an alliance. I don’t even remember which alliance we were fighting. The name was in Cyrillic, so I couldn’t read their banner. With about 10 minutes left, we were down by around 25 points. They had no flags left and we had one, belonging to one of our newest players. She was fighting with 2* and half-leveled 3* at that point, but had paid attention to the advice she had gotten regarding stacking and ghosting. They had one wounded team worth about 30 points and a handful of stronger unwounded on the field. Everyone who was online helped our player optimize her remaining heroes and gave her strategy tips to use against the wounded team. As the final seconds ticked down, half the alliance was glued to the battlefield screen watching. With about 30 seconds left in the war, she managed to finish off that team and get us just enough points for the victory. It’s times like that that I wish we had a MVP pin or avatar or frame that I could award to my alliance members.

• Which Season 1 hero would you most recommend to a new player? :man_student:

Best season 1 hero for a brand new player would have to be Belith. That heal + dispel saved my bacon early on plenty of times. Among the 4*, I would have to go with Kiril. Attack buff + defense buff + a beefy heal will be key in any situation. Among season 1 5*, I would have to say Lianna. Her damage is enough to take out most heroes in a single shot.

• What can you see out of your window right now? :telescope:

Here’s the view from my window. It’s mostly grass, trees, and the occasional deer.

• If @petri and you were on a road trip, where would you be going and what snacks would you bring? :red_car:

If Petri and I were on a road trip right now, we would probably be heading out West to the Rockies, and I’d probably have a cooler full of iced tea, cheese, crackers, apples and beef jerky.

• If you could make two changes to the game, one realistic and one less so, what would they be? :crystal_ball:

Two changes to the game…that’s a tough one.
First, the realistic change. I’d create a much better in game tutorial/help system that you could reopen at any time to refresh your memory if you had forgotten how something worked, and I’d include links to the forum for more details.
For the unrealistic, "never gonna happen " change, I’d institute a better communication system for alliances and alliance leaders. It would include an actual invitation system where you could search for a specific player and invite them to join. It would also include tools for alliance leaders and co-leaders to communicate via PM with each other or alliance members. I’d rather not have to address a problem publicly if it can be addressed privately.

• If I gave you $1000 to spend frivolously, what would you buy? :moneybag:

$1000 to spend frivolously? It would probably be split between kitchen tools (pasta roller for my Kitchenaid, maybe a couple of new knives) and miniature figures/paint/brushes, so I could do more of these

IMG_372911586112387 IMG_372889637203492 IMG_372885830458491 IMG_372882528825653

• this is a really strange and challenging time for all of us across the whole player base and all our communities around the world. How has your alliance been supporting each other or those around them? :handshake:
    #PlayApartTogether
    In Magnificent Bastards, we have several people who have been affected by the current pandemic in various ways. We have folks who have had their work closed down or their hours cut, and others that are working extra shifts. We’ve had folks who’ve had to drastically reduce or stop their spending, some folks playing more, and some playing less. On our Discord server, we have an off-topic channel, and we’ve been using that for extra communication and to help keep our spirits up. As the alliance leader, I’ve relaxed the activity requirements for now, so that the game can remain a source of relaxation and entertainment rather than another source of stress. We’re also sharing advice and uplifting stories of what we’ve seen or done in real life to help deal with the crisis.
21 Likes

Omg you too???!!?!?!

What do you collect/ paint?

Edit: forgot that @NPNKY didn’t actually post this :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Very cool interview @NPNKY. Thanks for sharing!! :blush::blush:

4 Likes

real cool @NPNKY ! impressed by your attitude towards leadership, addressing issues privately if can be, and that wonderful story about your member who was coached into scoring that on-the-edge-of-your-seat war victory.

and those figurines are amazing!

and a nice reminder to not forget the 3*s :wink: (go Carver and Berden!)

7 Likes

Thank you. The base of that figure is 4x4 cm (less than 2" square)

5 Likes

Great read. Keep it up, these are the highlight of my stay at home days. Which is pretty much every day.

3 Likes

That was good. I loved Belith when I got her. I had Friar Tuck lvled up higher and was asking advice about whether or not to feed her to Friar Tuck, and they said “No! Don’t do that!” like it was a huge crime, which, it would have been. lol. She saved my bacon, and until 2 months ago was my strongest green hero.

2 Likes

Wow… even more impressive. I could never imagine painting something so small… I cannot even paint a wall without messing it up!

3 Likes

Excellent read @NPNKY
Those figures take me back to high school and hand painting lead figures for tabletop D&D! While I haven’t painted any in years, those lead figures are still being used with my friends kids and I did buy two new figures in 2018 from Hero Forge.
Keep it up!

2 Likes

I still play tabletop D&D.

4 Likes

Hah! So did I, at least up until the quarantine. Been playing with my friends and their kids for 4-5 years now. Started up after a long hiatus and toughly 3 months after I sold all of my original books and modules. Great fun watching the kids use their imaginations.

3 Likes

‘For the next interview, I requested someone who works for Small Giant, but I’ve settled for the guy who lives in the stationary cupboard - the one and only @ScottySG.’

I am the one and only ruler of this stationary cupboard. It’s a staple position!

11 Likes

Looks like @JonahTheBardwill have to teach him to quote so he doesn’t have to copy paste. :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

4 Likes

tenor (18)

2 Likes

Really cool figurine! Thanks for showing us that. Semi-related, I have a theory on why the US will NEVER convert to metric. You know (and I’m pretty sure YOU know) how it’s go time when a woman is dilated 10cm? If women actually realized this was FOUR INCHES, I believe the birth rate would plummet. Anyway…ummm…your backyard and deck are also gorgeous. I always appreciate a well stacked log pile. Do you split with an axe or a sledgehammer?

I’m always curious when more experienced players with deep rosters talk about less popular heroes. What role do you envision for Stonecleave, Mireweave, and Sumle? I’m not yet sure I see their niche.

What are your thoughts on being an alliance leader? Like, what are your responsibilities, how do you envision your role, and what sort of system of government do you have (say there’s disagreement about passing or killing a titan - how is that settled?)? What do you get out of it?

I assume you’re still working. Good luck and stay safe! I offered all of my friends in the medical field a home cooked meal whenever they needed one. KY is a bit out of my delivery radius, regrettably. Be well.

3 Likes

LOL I am eagerly awaiting the “Self-Proclaimed Voice Of The Forum” myself :stuck_out_tongue:

This sounded so much like a naughty euphemism after the previous sentence that I choked on my tea

5 Likes

Oh my…

20 pearls being clutched at the scandalousness of JonahTheRuffian.

7 Likes

Well I’ve heard that improves your pelvic floor

disclaimer

I am probably going to get flagged. I’m delerious, it’s the Covid typing :mask:

3 Likes

Cookie Settings