Forum Interviews: An Audience with @BarryWuzHere 🎙️

I’m curious @BarryWuzHere about two questions:

1. How many “clicks” or “visits” has your farming guide gotten?

2. How many screenshots have you gotten for Season 2 vs Season 3?

Final kinda question; what’s the data collection like today vs. when you first started this mammoth project?

Oh and, waaayyyyyy back when, did you think or imagine how influential and valued your work would become?

8 Likes

I don’t know if @BarryWuzHere has access to a different number via Google docs

But his forum profile shows…

Mind. Blown.

8 Likes

Yeah was hoping to get a Google drive number for all the Line app and Discord and browser accesses

2 Likes

In I’m not sure a number that large can fit in a single post…

1 Like

A quick check showed it isn’t quite possible, although there might be something like that available in the “tools/activity” section within google docs. Unfortunately, that is only provided for the professional/school versions, not the personal version I’m using.

3 Likes

Good god, no, I had no idea. My work started because I was contributing to @hotdamnmess’s farming guide project and had discovered that a few other people like @Pois1 had collected results from a few thousand farming runs, and I wanted to find a way to combine all the data. (Fun fact: I used “One Sheet to Rule Them All” as a working title early in the project) That was late 2018/early 2019.

Over the next year I stealthily gained some popularity and recognition, but I had absolutely no clue how much until I put out a call for volunteers to collect S3 data…

Everything changed when @PekaJ got something working where he could OCR batches of images and give me data on a spreadsheet, that I could add. Up until that time, every farming run collected was manually entered by a volunteer. Manual data entry was tedious to say the least, and getting volunteers to actually DO it was really hard. Especially since I’m a data miner, not a recruiter! If it hadn’t been for Jakob’s OCR process, the project was on track to languish with a huge pile of unentered data and since nobody was entering it, the people collecting it were starting to lose interest too.

I don’t really have data on screenshot counts, but I can give you some statistics about farming runs recorded.

• Seasons 1 and 2 had an average of 36 runs per level recorded (which is somewhat distorted by the 1560 runs in S1:8-7; without that it would be way lower)
  • Season 3 has an average of 68 runs per level, and I expect that will rise as players finish farming the hard stages in the last three provinces. I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I have screenshots for hard runs in the last couple provinces I haven’t upload yet myself. :see_no_evil:
9 Likes

I want to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to you and all other players that put in a great effort to create some helpful content for the community. Your work is much appreciated @BarryWuzHere!

4 Likes

Thanks Barry well for everything on the data you done, thanks Johan for the interview
Crunch them numbers!

2 Likes

I just realized what her new-and-improved special skill should be: “Sweep it under the rug and hide the dust” – similar to her normal special, but a much stronger blind!

I kept trying to figure out something involving a feather duster and kept drawing a blank.

3 Likes

For a guy who loves to farm data, your very first question is something I am disappointed by… we want exact hours, minutes and seconds. Not “2 years and a couple of weeks” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Lol. Confession time: I love crunching data in a spreadsheet. Collecting data / data entry normally bores me to tears. Thank god that I have other people collecting farming runs for me to crunch in S3!

The other reason for my vague answer was that I answered all the questions with an unknown lead time before it was going to be published so a years/days/minutes answer would probably be WRONG on the day it was published and I hate being imprecise or incorrect when I can avoid it.

5 Likes

Thanks for all you do Barry. You’re Farmz are always my go to google doc!

Somehow I missed this one earlier. I have been using @BarryWuzHere’s farming guide regularly for like ever man. Thanks a heap.

My personal favourite is Laphroag, which I believe was also a favourite of @Garanwyn (also DI John Rebus). I prefer ones with more of the smoky peaty taste to them.

Sure it can – Googol

I do enjoy it occasionally for variety but the smokey/peaty flavor is too strong for it to be my regular favorite.

That’s the nice thing about scotch, the tremendous variety in it.

I always find other whiskys taste the same. I had a bottle of Bushmills and tasted to me just like a good Canadian rye whisky like Wisers or Crown Royal.