For new players - the 4star heroes that changed the game for me

Ah, makes sense! I don’t know how I feel about carrying a hero through an entire level without planning to use his special until the boss wave. (Well, actually, I do! I feel “not great” about it! LOL.) But, if any hero has a special worthy of doing so, it’s certainly Wilbur.

Regardless of how one feels about using him on map levels, and in raids and wars, his value against titans alone makes him a must-have.

Personal anecdote: My alliance recently began killing 12* titans. I don’t know if we’ll do it regularly, but we have killed three of them in the past week. Two more escaped, and the other two we’ve fought this week have been 11*. But anyway, due in large part to having maxed Wilbur relatively recently, I achieved a new personal best titan hit, of just over 75k, against one of those 12* titans we took down. That’s right, my best ever titan hit came against the strongest level of titan in the game. Wilbur and Wu get the credit. (And Evelyn, Gregorion and Hansel - note that Evelyn and Gregrion are at 3/70; not maxed.

1 Like

Little John and Skittleskull hit my teams like trucks whenever I face maxed out versions of them in the arena! Owh

As for myself, things changed for me when I got Kashhrek! I’ve got him maxed out now, and he’s usually the last man alive on my team. I was reallyyyy feeling it when going at the last level of Season 1. Wu Kong has been amazing too at swinging battles around in my favour, though I find his gamble move a bit too risky in certain cases.

2 Likes

Just have to throw in another nod for Proteus. He was my second purple 4* after Cyprian and I’ve never looked back. Proteus doesn’t negate just one special like Merlin, Hansel, and Gretel – he takes three out of the game. That’s all three bosses on the last level of monthly challenges, tank and both flanks during war or raids… it’s simply amazing.

I have a second one. He will get leveled sooner than later.

Other notes:

• Boldtusk really helped me early on. I know that Wilbur outshines him later, but having that heal and buff in a single package really helps.
  • Buddy, if you have him, is pretty amazing. Mini-pulverizer plus minions? Yes please. He took over for Kashrek as my tank.
  • Boril and Cyprian definitely have their places on low end teams. At a certain point, enemies are going to be hitting much, much harder than you can hit back. If you can make them hit themselves that’s a lot of free damage. Just keep them healed up. It’s not a long-term strategy but it helps punch up.
  • Dovetailing on the above point, did you know that Proteus hits through defenses? Because he does no instant damage, you don’t have to be cautious around deflects. It also seems he’s not affected by defense. Quite a lot going for him there…
2 Likes

I take Wilbur, but I don’t fire his special on the final wave before the bosses. Earlier waves, all bets are off.

3 Likes

After reading, I’m feeling pretty good. I have Wokong, Wilber, Rigard, and Skittledude. Prolly only been playing 3 weeks and am still a little lost. Team power at 2235. Spent maybe $60 so far.
Farming the map for training swords sucks but I’m hanging in there. Thanks for all the great information.

4 Likes

Nice starter set there! If you’re feeling a bit lost, you might want to read through:

5 Likes

Gato is my only 3* . Fully ascended and working on maxing out . Am I wasting my time?
Thoughts? Advice?

Gato is a superb blue attacker. I think i’s worth maxing his special. Feed him your 1* blue feeders, not trainers or 2*.

2 Likes

A good mature roster includes plenty of maxed 3* heroes (and yes, Gato is one of the better blue ones). Even though they’ll fall out of your regular map/raid rotation pretty quickly in favor of 4s and 5s (as you acquire and level more of those), you’ll still always need the 3*s for the Rare tiers of challenge events, and for the upcoming raid challenges. Not to mention they’ll serve as good attacking depth for wars.

1 Like

A key piece of advise I got early on from an alliance mate was that a max 4* will be more useful than a 3/70 5* and for a while two max 4* will be more useful than one max 5*. I was fortunate to get Magni relatively early, but was convinced to max Grimm before taking Magni to third tier and feel it was absolutely the right move.

The 4* that improve titan scores and let you finish the rare quests/hard tier of challenge events etc are the ones to focus on.

I agree a riposte hero early on is very useful. I lived on the keep boril alive with riposte up strategy in my early days on much of the season 1 map.

2 Likes

The ultimate 4 * game changer is none other than Wu Kong. i bring him everywhere. War, titans, raid and bed too…lol.
A lot of gamers may against the idea of bringing Wu to raid but with proper tiles stacking, fighting against a 4xxx tp can be a walk in the park!

They didn’t call his special a gambler’s stance for nothing. When 50 / 11 cups it at stake, you either win big or losing small. Yay!

5 Likes

I tend to fire Wilbur as soon as I can - the defence buffs are very valuable. If you take a dispeller along you can dispell the enemy spirit link, leaving them with defence down, and pick them off one by one.

Or take Wu, fire him first and then Wilbur is unlikely to affect the whole enemy team and you can take out the weakened ones first.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been using Wilbur as an attacker on my second account for a little while now. He’s fantastic, there’s no doubt about it. :slight_smile:

Nice to see that you started talking about Boril because of his special. Game changed for me since I got Cyprian, and since I brought him to 4\70, I have never abandoned the platinum arena (yup, I love to raid against stronger teams). Boldtusk has been also a powerup to face stronger teams and to keep Cyprian alive. BT + Triton healing increase will do the job of keeping my team alive until I ascend Wilbur and Rigard, which may take about a month. Till then, I’m stuck with Sonya-Triton-Cyprian-BT for almost everything (I don’t regret ascending Agwe, but he doesn’t deal enough damage at this point, and is only useful on red titans and 4\80 red tanks such as Elena for adding blue tile damage)

Some people above is fan of SS. I don’t know if it will come the day when I bring her to tier 4, since I have Scarlett for the same purpose, and although both have a low defense, at least Scarlett has more chances to fire her special since she is fast mana. Furthermore, both SS and LJ are my last concerns in a raid, since Triton can bring any of them down with BT attack increase, and even if they fire, there is a counterattack waiting for them.

I would really like to have at this point one of the S1 defence debuffers (either Grimm or Tib or Gormek), but Wilbur seems to have a better performance, and I have Sonya to eliminate the spirit link of the enemy if it is necessary. Also I’d like to have Li Xiu, her mana reduction is very annoying, or Proteus who seems to be a must have from the Atlantis heroes

I must make a special mention for Belith, who did a decent job healing my team until BT became strong enough to use him. Hawkmoon was very easy to kill, and does not have the debuff special as the mini-Melendor

Unsolicited advice: Scarlett is NOT a tank (since I have seen her recently used a lot as tank)

2 Likes

First 4* I pulled was Melendor, then Grimm. They were both incredibly useful to me early on, although I have yet to max either (both still at 3/60). Best advice I could give anyone is to max your 4* BEFORE your 5* as I went backwards and am still playing catch-up with my 4*. I’ve never had Wu or Wilbur. Probably the 4* that most changed the game for me was Boldtusk. With his heal and attack buff I could aim higher than ever before.

Loved the article. I have been playing for 5 months now, and only recently have I leveled some 4 star heroes, and started understanding their importance. I don’t have any 5 stars as I am an FTP, except VIP pass. So 4 stars have becime my backbone. The Wonderland event was the first one in which I could complete all three tiers, previously I used to do rare only. Now, I can also complete all rare quests with ease. All in all, it is really true that the 4 stars are the backbone of this game. They will help you finish every quest and map in the game and eventually help you get those elusive ascension mats which will be required for the 5 stars later down the line. :slight_smile:

My first 4 star was Wilbur, whom I got luckily from Atlantis coins, and I never even looked back. He is still my most favourite hero. Apart from that I maxed out Grimm, Tiburtus, Colen, Sabina and Melendor till now. And all of them are awesome… I am still looking for the other greats Kiril, Boldtusk, Wu Kong and Rigard. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello, you seem very informed which I’m lacking. I started playing for my grandson as an activity together and I asked here for help with my list of heroes. I got 3 responses I believe with good general advice but not what I really needed. Guess I’m a bit slow these days but if I post my list here, would you take a few moments to help me? Thanks

Sure! I can’t promise I’ll be able to respond right away, since I’m technically at work right now, but I’ll do my best. But, in addition to posting your list, would you please try to be specific about what kind of advice you’re after? (I guess if it’s just, “who do I level next,” then you don’t really need to elaborate, haha!)

Oh, and also be sure to include details on heroes that you HAVE started leveling already. “Sonya 3/60” for example.

1 Like

Thank you sir, its very appreciated. I would like to know which of my guys should be my defense team and the order they should be placed. Let me know which are best for raids and which should be my priority to ascend. If you see some I should feed, let me know. Even if it takes you a few days sir, I would still be grateful. Thank you kindly.

I see you’ve made some nice progress on those 4s since you last posted these screen shots! Nice work!

At the moment, I would set up your defense team, from left to right, as follows: Kiril, Melendor, Scarlett, Grimm, Wu Kong.

Try to level Scarlett up to 3/60 as quickly as you can. In the longer term, Obakan would be a good fit as tank too. Maybe even as soon as you can get him up to 2/60? (I’m not sure what his stats look like at that point. He may be too squishy to be a viable tank.)

I selected that order for the following reasons:

• The order that your heroes’ specials fire matters. If they happen to all be charged at the same time:
  1. You want Kiril to fire before your hitters, because of his attack buff.
  2. You want Melendor to fire before your hitters, in case any of the enemy attackers have counter-attack buffs or defense buffs active.
  3. You want Grimm to fire before Wu Kong, because Grimm’s defense debuff effect is very important; moreso than the potential extra damage his direct hit would do when buffed with Wu’s special.
  • Kiril is a good tank option, but since one of your other leveled heroes (Grimm) is also blue, it’s best to keep them relatively farther apart from each other.

Now that I’ve spent several paragraphs talking about your defense… Don’t get too hung up on your defense team! Yours is already good enough to keep you in Gold in the raid arena, and the more trophies/cups you accumulate, the harder it’s going to be to win your attacks (and therefore the longer it’s going to take to fill raid chests), so as long as I’m right about you being able to consistently stay above 1200 cups to keep getting Gold level chests, then you should be OK for a while without focusing too much more on your strongest heroes. Once you’re done getting Scarlett to 3/60, focus on your depth. Level 3s for war attacks and the new Raid Tournaments.

As for raid attacks, I’m afraid I can’t give real specific advice. You kind of have to tailor your attack team to the defense you’re up against. If the enemy has a maxed Boldtusk at tank, or multiple red heroes, you’ll want to bring two or three blue heroes to take him/them out fast.

That said, don’t use significantly weaker heroes for the sake of color coordination. Swapping 3/50 Melendor out of your attack team in favor of maxed Bane, because the enemy has three purple heroes in their defense, would probably be a good move despite Bane’s slightly lower stats. But swapping Mel out for, like, Sha Ji? That would be sacrificing too much.

3 Likes