Fair play and game becoming not fun

This is getting old really quick
My team

The team i got for a raid 1000 higher then me
Screenshot_20190213-141615_Empires

Keep leveling, you’ll get there.

EDIT: Did you reroll? Or face them strictly because they showed up? Or did they attack you? Because the team you showed isn’t your defense team.

That’s undoubtedly a hard-core cup dropper you’re facing. Since the algorithm matches on cups instead of team power, people like this can game the system to get easy matches.

You usually don’t see them leaving a full-strength defense like that set though.

3 Likes

Yup - that’s a cup dropper.

1. That is why I think cup dropping is poor form: because it causes grief for relatively new players who don’t understand how they can possibly be matched against such tough opponents.

2. But let’s not make too much of a drama out of it. You can always reroll, and certainly should in this case.

6 Likes

*SATIRE WARNING. NOTHING AFTER THIS LINE SHOULD BE TAKEN AS A SERIOUS BELIEF OR OPINION.* In fact, if you’re not Brobb, probably safest to just move along to avoid any risk of confusion.

Cup dropping is like stealing from the collection basket at church local food bank: it’s definitely lucrative, but it’s probably hard to feel good about yourself afterward :wink:

4 Likes
  • The world is always better as a consequence.

• You’ll go to hell if you do it, but you’ll do so with a smile on your face.

• It annoys the worst people in the world.

I don’t know if I love your simile. :wink:

2 Likes

Better?

1 Like

My defense team and my offense team is always different. While my defense team has to be a Rainbow Squad to be effective, my offense teams change with each and every attack to counter my opponent as well as possible.

…not only that… but I’ve had weird luck with summons. I currently own 7 heroes above the 3* level:

• 3 nature
  • 3 fire
  • 1 dark

So clearly, I can only present 2 or 3 high level heroes on my defense. You could easily defeat me with a moderately decent 4* team.

Then, when you present me with a nature or ice tank, I can also easily destroy you. My nature heroes include Evelyn. If I get 9 green tiles, at least one of your heroes dies, if not two or three. That’s all it takes.

My defense is weak, but the threat I present is real. Whether I’m a low level player or not, you will fear my Evelyn + Caedmon streak of green destruction. :wink:

Less fun, so yes, better.

3 Likes

Like taking money or food from a church or food bank? That’s a bit extreme… as a former cup dropper, I find the statement offensive. It is playing a phone game as allowed by the developers. Cup dropping provides joy for those who want the prize without any desire to be highly ranked or frustrated by bad boards. Blame the developers for allowing it if it’s so offensive to you… don’t blame people for finding a way to have more fun in a video game.

@Kayo I went into to raid and that was the first team that came up

@Kayo been like this all day i don’t reroll either only been playing 2 months here’s another so you can see my luck

Reroll is seen option in the game. Take advantage of it.

What if re rolling is not an option?

Most of the blame does go to the devs. They did a bad job when they incentivised cup dropping. It was certainly (well, almost certainly) accidental, so one can forgive the initial misstep, but they have had plenty of time to remedy the situation and have failed to do so.

They tried. Tiered raid chest rewards are better than nothing, but the impact has been marginal at best. Much bolder steps were required and have never been implemented. It’s a shame.

And it’s smart for players to drop cups. It makes it easier to fill raid chests and so long as you don’t drop a reward tier, there is no penalty. You’d be silly not to drop cups, from the perspective of rational self interest.

All this being said, I reserve the right to ascribe a decent chunk of the blame to players. It’s no secret that cup dropping causes a lot of consternation and grief for new players. It’s one of the main reasons that many find raids problematic. It also makes raid attacks - which are already easy by virtue of the many advantages conferred on attackers - totally unchallenging.

So is cup dropping really a way for players to “have more fun”? No, I don’t think so - unless one finds it fun to beat up on artificially weak competition. What sort of sea cucumber enjoys that? A fat, tasteless sea cucumber.

85% of the blame goes to the developers, because they should have fixed this many months ago. I don’t understand why they haven’t done a better job.

13% of the blame goes to the cup droppers, because they are prioritising ease of filling raid chests ahead of both their own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. They are fun killers. I don’t understand why they can’t adjust their behaviour for the greater good.

2% of the blame goes to M. Night Shyamalan, because M. Night Shyamalan is responsible for at least 2% of anything bad. I don’t understand why he won’t leave us alone.

10 Likes

It’s satirical. Brobb is constantly bagging on cup droppers, but had just got done saying “let’s not get carried away” about how bad cup dropping is in this case. I was teasing her a bit, not saying anything in particular about cup dropping.

The clue that it’s satire is how ridiculously over the top the statement is. I didn’t imagine anyone would seriously believe that anything done in a video game could possibly be comparable to either example. I’m sorry it was confusing and upsetting for you.

I have edited the post to help avoid confusion in the future.

2 Likes

Using similar logic, you could argue spenders ruin the game for nonspenders as that more than anything skews what is a fair fight… I can make a counter point to your argument and from my perspective blaming someone for finding an advantage in life is silly as it is ubiquitous…

That analogy does not hold up in the slightest. Players who spend gain an advantage in access to strong heroes and ascension materials. They do not get matched against opponents who are weaker than themselves, they do not undermine the integrity of any aspect of the game’s matching system, they don’t make any part of the game a miserable and confusing process for a large part of the population, and they certainly don’t ruin the game for non spenders (I say as a proud non spender). Your “counter point” is belly button lint.

This being said, you’re right to identify that cup droppers are just taking advantage of an opportunity that the game provides them. What they do is rational and perfectly fair: I’ve never seen anyone suggest it is irrational or unfair. That doesn’t mean that their actions are good for the game. I contend that they are bad for the game, and that players who choose to drop cups (rationally and fairly) should share the blame for the bad effects their actions cause.

Cup droppers are being willfully blind if they don’t see that their actions impact the game negatively. Every day we are bombarded with posts from sad, angry (often barely literate) players who can’t understand why they are matched up against opponents who are much stronger than they are. There are surely many more who feel the same way but quit instead of posting.

The best solution to this would be for the devs to remove the incentive to drop cups. They have not done so (and their efforts have been pretty limited) so they should bear most of the blame for the situation.

Another solution would be for players to cease doing this rational and fair thing - dropping cups - knowing that stopping it would make the game better. (And would make raiding more fun for them on attack, I think.) It’s not the players’ job to make the game better, but when their actions make it worse then we should recognise that they are, to a lesser extent than the devs, to blame.

(Having weaker alliance members field one-hero defence teams in alliance wars was a popular tactic for a while. It was perfectly fair and some thought it was rational (it wasn’t), but it took the fun out of wars. Alliances who used this tactic were excoriated on the forum - they were blamed for trying to take advantage of a loophole the devs had foolishly left open, and ruining part of the game. Quickly, the devs closed the loophole. That was a situation quite closely analogous to cup dropping, with a happy ending.)

1 Like

I’ll try to keep this short… if everybody who posted that they were upset about raids was given the advise to change their defense raid team to a weaker one so that overnight they would artificially drop lower, they would all find joy in their newfound success at raiding until they get to a level of comfort at the higher cup tiers.

The raid system is not ideal for brand new players all the way up to the top level, but it is what it is. I can complain that it isn’t fair that I win two to one on raid defense and still always lose cups or that when I started a brand new game my 1100 power team almost always matched against 1500+ power teams with my win ratio of one in ten. Those weren’t cup droppers. It was just the raid matchups available… I don’t find your argument convincing, so I will leave it at that.

Yes. If everyone who plays the game suddenly chose to field a team of 1* heroes, then raid attacks would suddenly be even easier for all of us. And it wouldn’t be at all competitive, or any sort of a challenge, or any fun. Everyone would fill their raid chests at the first eight attempts and that would be an awful outcome.

And we’re partway there already, because of cup droppers. At lower levels players can often reroll until they find an underpowered and unchallenging defence begging to drop cups, and whoever fielded that defence will obviously start their raiding day matched against opponents who are much weaker than them. These are bad outcomes for the game.

There’s the problem, I think. This is not a question of fairness. It’s a question of what’s good for the game. We have quite a lot of evidence that cup dropping is bad for the game.

1 Like