[ex-member] why is it so hard to make this not an option as name

This week reported again a few [ex-member] players for inappropriate game name.
I wonder how hard it is for sg to make a query and reset all players that have chosen this name.
And further to make it not possible to set this name when choosing a name.
Will prevent them from me making reports that they have to resolve and make it easy to uphold their own rules.

8 Likes

Because “ex-member” only works in English?

1 Like

Then disallow all versions of this in supported languages.

6 Likes

Yo, Bit of typing work but nothing more…
I think it’s not the main priority :thinking:

2 Likes

Nope but why make a rule and not make sure it is being kept?
I am willing to screen every ex member I meet and report but I think it could easily be prevented.

2 Likes

Why is this a big deal again. Maybe I’ve missed some nuance where the was a big deal but… does it physically cause pain?

5 Likes

Why is [ex-member] inappropriate and why are you going around reporting people for something that seems so innocuous? Are you offended? If it doesn’t hurt you, just leave it be?

5 Likes

It’s against the rules made by SG simple as that.
Rules are there for a reason (at least that’s what it should be). I am wondering more and more why I am reporting as there is a simple solution as it should be easy implemented that it cannot be set as a name.

3 Likes

I guess I missed where it says that it’s against the rules. If it is, it should be made more clear; I doubt people would even fathom that it’s against the rules. Where does it say that? Seems like a very specific rule.

3 Likes

Seems to me a very generic rule: “You agree that you will not: […] act in a manner that may negatively affect other users’ experience when using the Service”. Oh, yes, very generic!

See http://info.smallgiantgames.com/terms-of-service/

5 Likes

Sorry, why does it matter what someone’s name is? It doesn’t affect the strength of their team… I is confused !

2 Likes

In a war, when a member leaves either alliance, an [ex-member] is left on the field, and can be attacked, but will not make attacks.

If an [ex-member] starts making attacks, this will cause confusion, resentment, and complaints (“they’re cheating!”).

tl;dr: It’s trolling.

9 Likes

I welcome many ex-members to attack me in war. I’ll attack them back.

What if people all have the same name. Then you don’t know which one attacked you. Really, neither of these scenarios are a big deal.

5 Likes

It says it here:

Do Not: Impersonate other players and/or staff - including using System names as player names. Such as: Ex-member or Admin

9 Likes

Just use all flags and maximize points. That’s best way to win.

7 Likes

You’re missing my point. I didn’t write a word about winning. Using a name like [ex-members] does not make a difference for winning. Again: It just gets a rise from people, thereby “negatively affecting their experience when using the Service”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, yes, indeed. Although those rules are for the in-game chat …

3 Likes

Maybe the rule is dumb and doesn’t need to be enforced

6 Likes

I’m not sure why they put them in that rule set in particular, but it’s somewhat moot, since a player name is a player name.

Any player who sets their name to Ex-member for any reason would be violating that rule, and I know that Small Giant routinely changes variants of that name, as many people use unusual characters in order to change their name to look like Ex-member without being as immediately obvious.

I think it’s sort of moot.

Small Giant made the rule, and spends manual time enforcing it.

The question posed in this thread is basically why they don’t just automate that by preventing using Ex-member as a name to begin with.

8 Likes

Dumb or not, the phrase [Ex-member] has a certain significance and meaning in the game and for an active opponent to try to simulate being a dormant opponent is deceptive and not at all “sporting”. It would be like me using “petri” (no capital) or “Petrii” for my user name to simulate being a certain SG representative.

4 Likes

I think this is a very good point, presumably no one is like “ooh, I’m totally excited to be known as Ex-Member” when they first sign up for an account.

It’s a name chosen with deceptive intent based on trying to confuse other players.

People can argue about whether that matters, but I don’t think there’s much case to be made that anyone would be harmed by just adding a filter that prevented setting your player name to something that contained Ex-Member.

That seems especially true when Small Giant is (haphazardly) enforcing the rule through manual effort.

3 Likes

Cookie Settings